Options

Suction cups on camper walls

RoeRoe Member Posts: 6
Looking to install a shower caddy with suction cups on the bathroom wall, has anyone done this? Instructions say works best on smooth non-porous walls. 
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    Suction cups work on the mirror- not the walls.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    They never seem to hold for very long. Don’t put anything breakable in it. Every time I drop a plastic unbreakable bottle it lands on the cap which promptly breaks.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    The instructions should read: "ONLY works on smooth, non-porous walls!"
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    RoeRoe Member Posts: 6
     Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to attach fixtures to the walls? Appreciate any input
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    Command strip work very well. Installed shower caddy and stayed attached so far, in wet, hot and cold
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Command makes products specifically for bathrooms and showers

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited April 2021
    Careful if you have those amazing heavy duty suction cups, the ones with the lever that increases the suction, can actually pull the stick-on plastic wallpaper off the wall, for example, on the Tabs like our 2014 with the textured walls.
    You'll end up with a bump in the wall covering.
    BTDT
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    webers3 said:
    Command strip work very well. Installed shower caddy and stayed attached so far, in wet, hot and cold
    The wet wall of the 320s is hollow in places & has wood blocking in others. The same with the wall that adjoins the kitchen. With care, normal means can be used. Do not try on the exterior wall...nothing but foam inside.
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    4ncar said:
    webers3 said:
    The wet wall of the 320s is hollow in places & has wood blocking in others. The same with the wall that adjoins the kitchen. With care, normal means can be used. Do not try on the exterior wall...nothing but foam inside.
    Not sure what that means, have had bathroom caddy fixed to the bathroom wall with command strips for over a year without issues
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    I leave everything in the bath on the floor.  That is where it will end up, eventually.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    @webers3:  A "wet wall" is a construction term for any wall containing plumbing.  In this case the wall that is shared with the shower head in the bath and the television in the salon.  The other wall I is as I described.  These two walls will allow you to use the type of wall fastener that you might use in your home. The reference to the outside wall of the bath room, means that that wall is nothing but foam core; nothing solid within to allow for secure adhesion. 
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    renesadaerenesadae Member Posts: 51
    Anyone have experiences or advice on using something like the adhesive shelves https://smile.amazon.com/Carry360-Adhesive-Bathroom-Rustproof-Stainless/dp/B07S3SKYY2/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=adhesive+paper+towel+rack&qid=1621800287&sr=8-5

I was thinking of using this in the bathroom wall above the bath window (washrag on the towel bar) and in the (clamshell) kitchen backwall or side wall. Or is there material on these walls that would pull away or not hold up to the weight?
    Dave & René
    1/1/21 Retirement Life Begins!
    Chocolate Subie Ascent, Silver T@B CS-S, 4 spoked wheels, 2 ol' legs - we're good!
    Oregon <--everywhere--> Hawai'i otherwise
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @renesadae, I have two or three of those wire shelves to Mount in the bathroom, when I get “round-tuit”.  My brother had done in his shower got over 5 years with no problem and I’ve had them in my bathroom for over a year with no problem. 

The key for anything to stick is to clean the wall very well with dust-free cloths and rubbing alcohol (I use 91% rubbing alcohol) before mounting the sticky backing on the wall, and then waiting at least one day before adding the shelves. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    renesadae said:
    Anyone have experiences or advice on using something like the adhesive shelves https://smile.amazon.com/Carry360-Adhesive-Bathroom-Rustproof-Stainless/dp/B07S3SKYY2/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=adhesive+paper+towel+rack&qid=1621800287&sr=8-5

I was thinking of using this in the bathroom wall above the bath window (washrag on the towel bar) and in the (clamshell) kitchen backwall or side wall. Or is there material on these walls that would pull away or not hold up to the weight?
    In the product description, it says that it is not for wallpaper covered walls. Depending on how much it weighs and how much you put on it, you could potentially pull the wallpaper away. I'm not sure that I'd risk it with a brand new trailer. I hang stuff in my wetbath from tension rods that I have put along the driver's side wall and along the back (over the toilet). 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Marceline said:
    renesadae said:
    Or is there material on these walls that would pull away or not hold up to the weight?
    In the product description, it says that it is not for wallpaper covered walls.

So good to know! I thought there might be a good reason why I wasn't seeing it recommended as a tip, but hoped newer wall construction material might be like a solid surface. So I guess it's a plastic-like wallpaper? And on every wall? 

Dave & René
    Chocolate Subie Ascent, Silver T@B CS-S, 4 spoked wheels, 2 ol' legs - we're good!
  • Options

Marceline said:
    I hang stuff in my wetbath from tension rods that I have put along the driver's side wall and along the back (over the toilet). 
    Driver's side wall? Isn't the front wall sloped so that there isn't a perpendicular surface for the tension end to push against? Is it possible to put a rod above the mirror? (IOW, is there a bit of wall frame on the latched side of the shower door?)
    Dave & René
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,277
    edited May 2021
    Marceline said:
    I hang stuff in my wetbath from tension rods that I have put along the driver's side wall and along the back (over the toilet).
    Tension rods on a foam backed wall is not a great idea.
    I recently included an additional mirror clamp mount at the bottom of the mirror and re-positioned the center one to the side to attach a basket. Just traveled a bouncy 2000 mile trip with the basket full. No problem. It had previously been attached to the mirror with suction cups, but would always end up on the floor.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    AnOldUR said:
    Marceline said:
    Tension rods on a foam backed wall is not a great idea.
    I recently included an additional mirror clamp mount at the bottom of the mirror and re-positioned the center one to the side to attach a basket. Just traveled a bouncy 2000 mile trip with the basket full. No problem. It had previously been attached to the mirror with suction cups, but would always end up on the floor.

I've had my T@B for 4 years and tension rods work fine and have not caused any damage. But thanks for your concern.
    I can imagine that they would cause a problem if one were overzealous and cranked the heck out of them. I certainly wouldn't recommend that.

In the wetbath I have a small diameter (<1/2") rod (not a big shower curtain rod) that goes from back to front along the driver's side wall and I hang a mesh caddy (like this one) to hold shampoo, soap, etc. Since I don't crank the heck out of tension rod I also use 4 command hooks on the wall - 2 facing up, 2 facing down- to keep the rod in place in transit. I also have another one of these rods placed above the lip of the shower pan to corral things there (toilet brush, cereal bin used a trash can, Clorox wipes container, etc.). 

The problem with using screws in that wall behind the mirror is that it's pretty thin backing. Over the years the original screws holding the mirror clamps have gotten looser and looser and that's without any additional weight on them. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab