Options

How to loosen propane tank bolt?

It all came flooding back to me...the pain and suffering of unbolting the propane tank from the camper for the first time...

I remember being at the Tall Texan Campground, in Gunnizon, CO. The guy at the propane exchange needed me to hold a wrench on one side while he unbolted on the other side.

Is there an easy way to get this bolt loose with one person?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Mine just loosens by hand.

If it's got a regular nut, replace it with a wing nut and put some silicon or teflon spray on the bolt threads?
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

If it's got a regular nut, replace it with a wing nut and put some silicon or teflon spray on the bolt threads?
    I never replaced the bolt or wing nut on my last T@b and it never moved.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    jkjenn said:

I never replaced the bolt or wing nut on my last T@b and it never moved.
    I agree with @Tampakayaker. It should have a wingnut and that wingnut doesn't need to be monstrously tight- just snug enough that the propane cylinder doesn't jiggle in transit. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    I am really asking about the initial time you loosen it, not an ongoing basis. That first time is a killer and both occasions it was a two person job. 

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    I am really asking about the initial time you loosen it, not an ongoing basis. That first time is a killer and both occasions it was a two person job. 
    Don't know what to tell you. It sounds like your dealership is tightening the bolt excessively hard. It's silly. You should be able to remove the tank without needing a tool box. I guess that you're going to need the help of another person yet again. You might want to let the dealership know that this isn't the right place for some wrench monkey to be proving his strength.  :)
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @jkjenn, bring it to Columbus, Indiana and we’ll figure it out. I have the tools needed, plus a campsite😁.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    @jkjenn, bring it to Columbus, Indiana and we’ll figure it out. I have the tools needed, plus a campsite😁.
    I like your solution. 😁

I am getting ready to be away for 5-7 nights and need to refill before I go so a friend helped me out tonight.

• Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Spray it with PB Blaster the day before you attempt to remove it. Give it another squirt right before you remove it. That should do the trick. Keep in mind that PB Blaster is a bit messy so put a rag or some paper towels down where the overflow will drip. You don't want to get it on your driveway. 
  • Options
    tabiphile said:
    Spray it with PB Blaster the day before you attempt to remove it. Give it another squirt right before you remove it. That should do the trick. Keep in mind that PB Blaster is a bit messy so put a rag or some paper towels down where the overflow will drip. You don't want to get it on your driveway. 
    It's a brand new T@B so I doubt that it was a rust or corrosion problem. Sounds like someone with a wrench just got a little carried away. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    But a squirt of oil.silicone spray or WD40 will even make unscrewing a new bolt easier.  B)
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @falcon1970, that is the idea I was thinking of a while ago. Great idea for our aging hands, too. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Great idea, @falcon1970.  What is the name of the knob and size, and where did you purchase it?  I suppose it can be found at a local hardware store, but I looked on Amazon and found a "Clamping Handle Screw Knob," but I am not sure if it is the same as depicted in your photo.

Also, did you us the original propane bracket bolt, or did you purchase that as well?  Thanks!
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Marceline said:
    tabiphile said:
    It's a brand new T@B so I doubt that it was a rust or corrosion problem. Sounds like someone with a wrench just got a little carried away. 
    Soooo.....a galled nut doesn't know if it's new or not and there was no mention of rust or corrosion, only an discussion about the hardware being too tight. The PB Blaster is anaerobic and will find itself into the threads and make them easier to turn....so if as you suggest, "someone got a little carried away", it will make getting the issue sorted easier to do. Once the bugger is off, the shared ideas about changing the hardware are very sensible. 
    PB Blaster is not a lubricant but a bit of anti-seize on the threads before reinstalling the nut would prevent it from binding up again. 
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    I've been trying to think of the proper nomenclature for that knurled knob but haven't come up with it yet.  You can find them at Lowe's.  Look in the drawers of unusual hardware.  You will want one with female threads rather than male threads (well, duh).   I replaced the bolt with a stainless steel bolt and used stainless washers and nut.  Just size it to fit whatever knob you find.  I think I used 1/4-20 bolt and matching hardware but it might be a 5/16" bolt.  Just match the bolt, nut, washers, and knob.  As someone mentioned it doesn't need to be gorilla tight when you put it on.  Just hand snug it so it doesn't rattle loose over the road.  Get a long enough bolt so you won't have to completely remove the knob to loosed the clamp but not so long that it interferes with anything else you carry in the tub.
  • Options
    I've been trying to think of the proper nomenclature for that knurled knob but haven't come up with it yet.  
    “Thru knob”
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Grand idea, and A locking washer on a hand tight nut/knob will keep it from vibrating loose...  B)
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I put some JB Weld on the bolt head to hold it to the metal bracket.  Now the bolt doesn't move when I turn the wing nut by hand.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    JabGopherJabGopher Member Posts: 63
    Verna said:

The other midwest Columbus! I spent a summer interning for Cummins way back when. Us interns had a good time, but even more fun in nearby Bloomington  =)

@jkjenn Mine came with wingnuts and it came loose without much effort.
    2021 Tab 320 S Boondock | 2021 Ram 1500
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited April 2021
    Yep, using @Marceline's "through knob" and @falcon1970's description, I found it on Amazon described as a “Through-Hole Knob Female Thread Clamping Knob Grip” or “Star Knob,” but Lowe's, Home Depot, etc., is easier for such a small purchase.  Thanks for the info.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    I find squeezing the bracket ends together by hand before unscrewing the wing nut makes it much looser and easier to undo.  Ditto with putting it back on - it releases the tension somewhat off the bolt/nut.