Options

Changing from winterizing to camping mode

Camping mode.                                                                                                                   Winterizing mode

The hot water drain valve will not turn to the “Camping mode” position shown above. It will only turn to the “winterizing mode” valve position or parallel to the red tube. What position does the valve need to be in for “camping mode”, parallel or perpendicular to the red tube?
Thank you for your help.

Cheers
2020 TAB 320 U
TV 2022 Highlander

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    The drain is open in Winterizing mode with the valve parallel to the pipe.
    The drain is closed in Camping mode with the valve perpendicular to the pipe.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    FreespiritFreespirit Member Posts: 131
    @Sharon_is_SAM, the pictures did not post as sent. The left picture is camping mode valve perpendicular to red pipe and the left picture is winterizing mode, valve perpendicular to red pipe. These pictures are from Nucamp owners manual. 
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • Options
    I did not proof my typing, right picture is winterizing mode. 
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    The left picture shows the drain valve closed for Camping mode.  Not sure what’s up with the right picture, but when you drain your lines to winterize, you must open the valve by turning parallel to the pipe,  After the lines are emptied, you can then close them to complete winterization.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,435
    It's worth adding that these are quarter-turn valves and may not all be installed the same way. As a result, they may point in different directions then shown in photos. As long as you note what Sharon_is_SAM said above regarding parallel vs. perpendicular, all will be well.

Now, if the valve just won't move at all it could be stuck or jammed. If coaxing and/or forcing won't get it to comply, it may need to be replaced. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM Thanks thank you for clarifying the position of the valves in
    camping and winterizing mode. 

@ScottG my valves definitely were not installed in such a way that would allow me to
    replicate the pictures in the Nucamp users manual. Valves move freely quarter-turn. 

Cheers
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The bottom line is, you need to know which valve position is open and closed...  B)
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,435
    @Freespirit, it sounds like your valves are fine. I'm probably a little OCD so if I were building a T@B I would install all those quarter turn valves in the same orientation relative to the flow. That doesn't happen on real life assembly line, and in this case it makes no bit of difference to the valve.  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Freespirit, I think the complete photo may help clarify the discussion here.

I agree with the above comments, but would add that you only open the hot water drain valve when you want to drain the hot water tank/water line.  Same goes for the cold water drain  Otherwise, it remains closed*, such as when you are camping (i.e., perpendicular to the hot water line as depicted in the photo below.)  The bypass valve in the center of the photo allows you to bypass the hot water tank when you winterize the system, so you don't fill the hot water tank with anti-freeze.

* NOTE:  After draining the line, you might choose to leave the drain valve open for a period of time to let it air out, or dry out, for a period of time, but that assumes you are leaving the water lines empty and have not winterized the system with RV anti-freeze (i.e., you have used the "blow-out" method rather than using anti-freeze.)

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)