Options

2018 tab 400 is it safe to use 50 amp service with an adapter?

I am planning my trip and one of the sites I really want to stay at only has 50 amp service.  Can I SAFELY use A 30 amp/50 amp adapter??  My mind says no, but I would like someone more experienced than me to say Yes or No.   Thanks, Bob
Bob & Irene  2003 F150 V6-Manual
2018 TAB 400
Nashville, TN.

Comments

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    It will be fine. I also suspect they just didn't list the 30 and 15/20 power options, it is rare to not have those in the box with the 50a plug.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    edited July 2021
    Yes.  The 30 amp will only use one leg of the 50 amp.  No problem.
    https://www.etrailer.com/faq-30-amp-50-amp-rv-service-adapters.aspx
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    The potential problem is that if you don’t include over current protection after the adapter your 30 amp wire leading to your RV is not properly protected by the 50 amp breaker.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    So, just plug in the surge protector into the adapter.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Just never try to adapt to 50 amp at home or some place that is not designed for RVs.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    The problem is less about the amperage than it is about the voltage. 50A RV service is typically 240V, while 30A service is 120V. However, as Sharon noted, a proper 50A --> 30A RV adapter will take care of this.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited July 2021
    A 50 Amp service could be either 120 or 240 VAC as shown below. The RV that I had that was a 50 Amp used the 2 x 120 VAC configuration. Either way it will not matter since you will only connect to one of the 2 x 120 VAC. In order to get 240 VAC you have to combine the 2 hot wires. In other words ALL Power Posts are wired in the 2 x 120 VAC configuration. 

Brad

2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    AnOldUR said:
    The potential problem is that if you don’t include over current protection after the adapter your 30 amp wire leading to your RV is not properly protected by the 50 amp breaker.
    This would only be a problem if the T@B tried to draw more than 30A of current. If this happened, the T@B's main breaker would trip.

In short, the amount of current (amps) flowing is determined by the device in use, not the maximum capacity of the service.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I’m not going to argue with your logic (I agree with it) and I’m not an electrician, but I’d bet that there’s a code violation if no overload protection is used before the power cord. Good chance I’d lose that bet.   :|
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    edited July 2021
    The thing to remember is 50 Amp has 2 x 120 VAC that is on a Dual Pole Breaker, which means that each 120 VAC is on 50 Amps. However, the 30 Amp Single Pole Breaker in the camper will provide the proper protection for everything inside. 

Brad
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    @Dutch061 Nope. Each leg is 50 amps.
    edit: It'll take a 50 amp load on either of the legs to trip the breaker, but both legs will be tripped if one side sees the overload.
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    @AnOldUR, Ah yes I stand corrected and will adjust my previous post. Can't blame it on coffee at the time of day I made that post.

Brad
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    cowboypetecowboypete Member Posts: 37
    Thanks everybody for excellent advice.  And I always use a  high quality surge protector.  Bob
    Bob & Irene  2003 F150 V6-Manual
    2018 TAB 400
    Nashville, TN.
  • Options
    AnOldUR said:
    I’m not going to argue with your logic (I agree with it) and I’m not an electrician, but I’d bet that there’s a code violation if no overload protection is used before the power cord. Good chance I’d lose that bet.   :|
    Consider that almost every household electric device has a power cord of 16g or smaller wire, yet you still plug these into receptacles on 15 or 20 amp circuits capable of providing current greater than the capacity of the cord. However, the power cords are sized for the current requirements of the device so the smaller wires pose no hazard when used as intended.

That said, I don't know how or if the code applies to RV installations, so I won't take your bet since codes are often based on obscure "what if" circumstances. Regardless, under normal use your RV cord should be fully protected by the T@B's main 30A breaker.

@cowboypete, a power surge is not the same as an overcurrent condition. A power surge is a transient spike in voltage that originates on the grid/pedestal side, while an overcurrent is excessive amperage demand that originates on the camper side. While RV surge protectors and EMS devices probably also incorporate overcurrent protection, I would not assume that one necessarily protects you from the other.  
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited July 2021
    ScottG said: Consider that almost every household electric device has a power cord of 16g or smaller wire, yet you still plug these into receptacles on 15 or 20 amp …
    This is the same logic that I would use except for that I’ve read the code violation thing in many places but haven’t found the actual code. Here’s a quote from one of the sources:
    “Because the RV’s main breaker is installed in the distribution panel of the RV, the above scenario is unlikely. Most of the time, the RV’s main breaker will pop before the 50 amp pedestal breaker does.
    This scenario, however, does not fully protect your wires from becoming overloaded. If there were a short on the line or a fault in the breaker, your protection would be limited. Not to mention, even with the RV’s breaker, using a 50A/30A dogbone adapter without protection is technically an electrical code violation.”

https://mortonsonthemove.com/can-you-hook-a-30-amp-rv-to-50-amp-power/

edit to add:
    This is one of those grey areas where you have to decide what level of risk you’re willing to take. Even if you have an onboard EMS, using surge/over-current protection at the breaker box is cheap insurance. And speaking of insurance, in the rare instance that there is a problem, you probably will not be covered for the damages.

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Good article, @AnOldUR. See? I told you I wouldn't take that bet!  ;-)

I like that they also emphasized the difference between surge and overcurrent protection, and the need for a device that protects against both if that is your intention. 
    2015 T@B S