Options

Update Project Complete: Anyone Install a DVD Player in a T@b 400 2020 or newer?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited March 2022
    Ok, so I picked up my 2022 400 last week and I'm in the camper now trying out the blu ray player. I removed the HDMI plug from back of tv and plugged in the blu ray but I only get sound on the TV and not through the cubes surround sound. I think I read above that someone thought I should still be able to get surround sound. I'm looking at the back of the Blu ray to see if there are any other hookup options.  I'm wondering if I can use the "digital out" hole and connect to bottom connections on the tv. I don't know which adapter I would need for this even if it's an option.  It of course works with surround sound if I use the hdmi plug in the cube but that presents placement issues. Im looking at hdmi splitters but Anazon reviews are terribke and Best Buy didn't seem to even have them!?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I just deleted the pic from this post as it was unnecessary for this thread. 
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    Try turning the TV speakers off in the TVs sound menu and set the cube to Aux1 or Aux2 depending on how it is wired via the red/white RCA cables between them. Ours only works for television OR stereo sound, separately, not at the same time.
    Also, you won't get true surround because the Cube is pretty basic, but the left/right channels should play through all four speakers. 
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Oh good idea. I already came inside but I will try that tomorrow!!  What do you mean by left/right channels?
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    @TabbyShack Left/right as in stereophonic audio. The Cube has two speaker zones, front and back of the 400, and each zone should be wired for left/right stereo sound. True surround sound would require the Cube to be replaced.

FWIW I had shopped audio options while we waited for our 2021 to be delivered last a Spring but after camping for a season, I think the Cube sounds just fine in the small space. 
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    Thanks for clarification on that. I know exactly what you mean now.  Yes I agree the cube A and B zones provides excellent sound for the camper. That's what I was calling surround sound,  haha.  
  • Options
    Ok, so the frustration continues.  I turned tv sound off in menu tried Aux and HDMI setting in cube and no sound.  I want to try a splitter but even that is seemingly complex.  I think I need a 2 in 1 out splitter? The 1 in 2 out is if you are trying to protect on two monitors or two tvs. 
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,010
    We don't plug anything into the back of the tv.  We plug out blue ray player into the hdmi on the cube and it plays just fine with sound coming through the stereo speakers.  If you plug your dvd player into the tv I don't think you'll get sound through the cube stereo speakers.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    I was just trying to avoid having wires coming out of the cube all the way down to the cubby below the fridge where I have the blu-ray sitting. It's just messy with power cord wrapping around to the plug in the bedside cubby.  I think I will order the splitter to see if it will work plugged in at the tv. 
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,010
    edited February 2022
    I hear ya about the cable running across the trailer.  But we ended up just using a little 3M command spring clip on the ceiling.  It holds the HDMI cable up and out of the way and works well for us.  I wish they kept the DVD player instead of going towards the cube.  Some of us older people still carry dvds around!  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Agree bergger! I LOVE my Netflix DVD subscription. People don't realize that DVDs are better than streaming ESPECIALLY when camping. Fans of streaming also don't realize how limited the movie titles are. You can get every title on DVD very soon after it leaves the theatre. I joined the Netflix streaming plan briefly only to be shocked at the limited selection of new releases!! Unless you've had the DVD plan you would never know what you are missing with the steaming plan. Anyway.....back on topic....one downside of the Jensen DVD player that I had in my 2019...it was very quirky and I know a lot of people had problems with it not working at all and there weren't really any other 12 volt options for the RV market from what I heard. I think a couple of strategically placed holes may make it possible to route some wires more concealed. Have to think about that though. I will get the splitter and see if that works and come back to update this thread. I just can't seem to figure out which splitter I need.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Update: Finally figured out that there is no way to use a splitter for the purpose of being able to get the stereo sound out of the cube. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Ok, here is what I decided to do.  I've abandoned the Cube all together. All I care about is good sound in the bed area anyway. I just ordered a $60 Insignia Mini Sound Bar from Best Buy. I plan to install this below the white shelf below the tv.  I've also ordered a "shelf" thing that I will also install under the shelf to hold the DVD player, and finally a small power "strip" that will accommodate the bulky adapter plug ends.  I will post pics once I get it installed.  I still have to figure out how I'm going to get the cords above/below the shelf as needed.  I also have to figure out how thick that white shelf is so I don't screw up through it!! I see its hollowed out and isn't as thick as it was on my 2019. 

Insignia™ 2.0-Channel Mini Soundbar Black NS-HMSB20 - Best Buy

Amazon.com: YYST Laptop Holder Under Desk Laptop Organizer Rack W/Screws (3) : Electronics

Amazon.com: Power Strip with USB, TROND Wall Mountable Outlet Extender with 3 Widely Spaced Outlets and 3 USB Ports, Flat Plug, 4.5ft Extension Cord, for Home Office Nightstand, Travel, Dorm Room Essential, Black : Electronics
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,678
    edited February 2022
    Has anyone just taken the trailer to a regular car stereo shop and installed any of the many car stereo systems that are available?  This seems pretty easy.
    (That one is a "single din".  There are many "double din" models, too...but you have to dig around for ones that still play DVD/CD.
    Here is a big thread from WilliamA who lives in the TAG forum with a description of his mod of a new head unit.  (Warning:very detailed!)

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Project complete!  The black tape doesn't look so good but I needed to make sure it didn't slide around in the brackets. My feet are at that end so I never have to see it! I also added a sound bar since I've abandoned the Cube all together.  I used a very fine tooth hand saw to do the cut out.  I also had to sand down the front of the shelf a little bit because the DVD tray was ever so slightly hitting it when it would go in and out (Of course Murphy has to help me with every task).  I also have my external tv antennae power booster plugged in below so that's why there are so many power adapters plugged in. 

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Looks good, your install came out very nice.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Very clean installation, @TabbyShack.  Good use of the area under the shelf.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    edited March 2022
    And for those who laugh at me for using DVDs....the laugh is on you because you don't realize the titles you are missing out with streaming. You are getting access to only a fraction of the movies you get on DVD.  As soon as I see a movie as coming soon or just released or is getting a review, I add it to my Netflix DVD que and then I get it few weeks later.

Also, you are missing out on all the independent films that get released on DVD. Sometimes they suck, but sometimes you find a real gem that blows you away. 

I now realize I already posted about this above! I'm passionate about DVDs!
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,292
    @TabbyShack, nice job! Is that the Sony with WiFi? How are you driving the sound bar?
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    Thanks, It went better than expected!  No wifi. I didn't know there was such a thing.  The sound bar is plugged into the under counter power box and the red/white wires are plugged into the tv. I thought the tv had the same optical outlet that is on the back of the sound bar (It says SPDIF and it was hard to get a good luck under there) but the optical cable I ordered wasn't the right one. I see now that the SPDIF outlet on the bottom of the tv is coaxial so I was forced to used the red/white wires to connect to the sound bar. I was hoping to be able to leave the R/W wires that lead to the cube still in the tv so I could use the cube sound if only watching tv, but alas it was not to be.  But, with the sound bar tv sound is great without the cube sound.  
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,292
    No wifi. I didn't know there was such a thing.
    I had purchased a Sony BDP-BX370 Blu-ray Disc Player, but wasn't happy with the wifi capability. For some reason it wouldn't play well with my service. Something about licensing problems. Sent it back and got an LG player.
    I thought the tv had the same optical outlet that is on the back of the sound bar
    What I did was to go from the player to an auto extractor with the HDMI cable. The extractor had an optical SPDIF output to feed our sound bar.
    I was hoping to be able to leave the R/W wires that lead to the cube still in the tv so I could use the cube sound if only watching tv, but alas it was not to be.
    To use the rear speaker in the T@B, I used an amplifier that has Bluetooth so I can stream music from my phone through it.
    But, with the sound bar tv sound is great without the cube sound.  
    I agree. The sound bar is a huge improvement. Not only quality, but it's so much better to not have unbalanced sound coming from the opposite direction of the screen.
    Enjoy your rainy day / evening entertainment!

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    Good tips!  I'm excited how it turned out.  I'm going on my first trip 3/11-13 so I will get to try everything out and I upped my Netflix DVD plan today to 4 out at a time!
  • Options
    DM159DM159 Member Posts: 44
    The under shelf DVD player hanging brackets are something I could use.  Is there a retail source for them please?
    2023 TAB 400 with modifications in process.

• Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    Why?
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    RobynERobynE Member Posts: 31
    YYST Laptop Holder Under Desk Laptop Organizer Rack W/Screws (3) https://a.co/d/5jTkrxT
  • Options
    DM159DM159 Member Posts: 44
    Thank You RobynE.  
    2023 TAB 400 with modifications in process.

• Options
    CampsiteGalCampsiteGal Member Posts: 17
    I just installed a dvd player using a wire "paper in-box" from Dollar Tree with some clips that screwed into the underside of the counter by the bed. I can watch my favorite dvds this way. To remove I just pull the connectors off and slide the player forward, or just squeeze and move the wire in-box out of the clips. Easy!
    2022 T@B 400 BD, the T@bacabana
    TV: 2017 Chevy Tahoe
  • Options
    bjn2bjn2 Member Posts: 86
    I'm not believing for a minute DVDs are going away any time soon. The Netflix DVD plan is running strong and hard. The titles available to download shy in comparison to what comes out on DVD. I joined the Netflix streaming plan but found I couldn't get most new releases. Maybe other plans would offer greater download content but I'm sticking with the sure fire, in my hand, DVDs. 
    I suppose it's a matter of perspective whether two years later is "soon". https://about.netflix.com/en/news/netflix-dvd-the-final-season
    Utah-based
    2023 T@B 320 S Boondock