Update Project Complete: Anyone Install a DVD Player in a T@b 400 2020 or newer?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
edited March 2022 in Modifications & Upgrades
So much to my dismay, I've discovered the 2022 T@B 400 does not have a DVD player!  Netflix DVDs are the highlight of my evenings after turning in for the night and I absolutely cannot live without a DVD or maybe I should get a Blu-Ray player.  I'm wondering if anyone has added a DVD player, or are you using a stand alone one that plugs into the side of the tv.  I'm concerned about inter-connectivity with the camper speaker system because turning on the surround sound just ups the movie watching experience to a whole new level!  Should I try to swap out the one that comes with the unit? I'm sure the holes are not going to be compatible, so trying to figure that out too!  

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Not sure which Jensen you have, but the easiest way it to add a stand alone player of your choice.  Some are very small.  You might have to wheel and deal with getting the Jensen unit to play the sound, but people have done it.  Many of the small players are pretty light on power, also, so they can easily run on 12V.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • SLJSLJ Member Posts: 445
    edited October 2021
    Installed a SONY Blue-Ray that runs on 12 volts in our 2021 320. HDMI to the Jenson TV. The 5 Switch panel is for LED overhead lights, USB ports, Jensen stereo, blue-ray, Jensen TV. None drain the battery when not being used.

We have a library of over 300 DVDs and Blue-Rays of our favorite movies and carry a large notebook of about 50 in our T@B. Many of the classics we like are not on streaming services. I'm a big sci-fi fan  and have most of the classics from the 50s through the 80s.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    DVDs are going the way of cassettes and 8 tracks before that. 
    Do you have a smartphone or tablet? I would just download content and then play it via the appropriate HDMI adapter. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Thanks for the pics and suggestions.  Feel much better about my options now.  I'm going to go with a seperate Blu-ray player.. 

I'm not believing for a minute DVDs are going away any time soon. The Netflix DVD plan is running strong and hard. The titles available to download shy in comparison to what comes out on DVD. I joined the Netflix streaming plan but found I couldn't get most new releases. Maybe other plans would offer greater download content but I'm sticking with the sure fire, in my hand, DVDs. 
  • HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 604
    On Netflix some content is released earlier on DVD than on streaming. At least it used to be that way. 
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Yes! It's still that way. I think people dismiss the DVDs as old school and don't take the time to compare them to streaming.  I used to get asked CONSTANTLY  on the elevator when taking them down to mail out "DVDs! Why are you still getting DVDs why not streaming"  the conversation always ends with them saying oh I didn't realize that"  Streaming seems great if you don't compare and see the DVDs are better.  The DVDs are clearly better when it comes to the fastest to get released and i can find almost every new release as soon as I see the commercial and add it to my "saves" and I get it automatically when it's released.   
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    edited October 2021
    p
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Well this won't be the first time a thread went off topic.  The thread answered my original question so it's all good!  :)
  • Da_BirdsDa_Birds Member Posts: 126
    We purchased a small DVD player from Amazon that is powered with USB and connects via HDMI cable. Works just fine. We also have an Amazon Fire TV Stick that we use for streaming when we can. I also have a laptop that has an HDMI port that will mirror the screen on the TV or it's just used as a "portal smart tv". It's also more efficient when boondocking. The DVD player is really just a backup and it gives us a chance to watch some of the DVD's that have just been laying around collecting dust for many years. Streaming is great but it has it's limitations. Sometimes it's just nice to pop in a DVD and get a crystal clear picture without worrying about all sorts of other technology.
    2021 T@B 320CSS Boondock - "Chirping Bird"
    2018 Chevy Colorado - "Dad's Truck"
  • Thanks Da_Birds, I like the idea of the Fire Stick, but I so rarely have good internet when camping. I like the idea of multiple means of getting my tv/movie fix! Thanks for the ideas!
  • SnoblettSnoblett Member Posts: 99
    I’m curious as to how folks connect their Blu-ray or DVD players to the Jensen.  

It makes sense to place the player next to or under the TV, but the HDMI input for the Jensen is across the camper.  Do you have a long HDMI cable traveling overhead and down, or under the bed and up?  Or is there another obvious snd easier solution that I’m missing entirely?

Thanks!

• I would like to know more about the connections too.
  • manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    edited October 2021
    If you buy an hdmi splitter (super cheap on amazon) it will effectively give your tv two inputs. Or you can simply unplug the Jensen cube from the hdmi input on your tv and plug the DVD into that. Then set the Jensen to AUX (or TV…I forget) and that will send the audio to your Jensen. If you have no intention of using the HDMI on the Jensen then there’s no need to have that HDMI running from the cube to the tv. 

I bought a splitter just to have the option of a spare HDMI and ability to still use the cube’s hdmi to use as an input.

Here’s the thread where I shared how I did this on our 2021 400: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/171393#Comment_171393
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
    @manyman297
    fir some reason I thought the hdmi input had to originate at the Jensen cube in order for the sound to go through the camper speakers.

My first attempt at monkeying around with thr TV was trying to stream video from my phone.  I tried plugging the hdmi connected to the phone into the back of the tv and selected hdmi on the tv.  This displayed video on the monitor but no sound.   I have been successful plugging the hdmi cable into the Jensen cube and selecting HDMI.  Then I get both video and audio.  I’m pretty sure my TV is just a monitor without speakers.
    So the 400 has left and right audio (RCA jacks) running from the tv to the cube. Normally audit will travel through the HDMI but if you’re plugging your DVD player directly to the tv just set your cube to whatever inputs your left and right audio jacks are plugged into. That’s assuming you have the same setup as the 400.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
    @manyman297
    sweet! Thank you, I’ll give it a try 
  • ok, here's what I read from above "blah, blah, blah, ba blah blah blah! hahahah... Just kidding. I will make sense of it eventually! 
  • Da_BirdsDa_Birds Member Posts: 126
    I connect our DVD or Fire Stick to the HDMI port on the Jensen. I've powered both with the USB port on the Jensen before but since it's not recommend I now run a USB cable to one of the other USB ports. When I know we won't have shore power I bring a small power bank that will power both the TV and the DVD or Fire Stick for a couple hours or it can be used to charge my laptop a couple of times.
    If you are streaming and don't have an unlimited data plan or your internet is on the slow side, you should make sure your streaming device and/or app is set to use the lowest resolution/quality possible or at least the lowest you can tolerate. Each app and device is different. For Netflix you need to set the streaming quality in the settings for each profile so I created a profile named "Camper". If you stream at the default or best quality settings you can quickly use gigs of data and it could cause a lot of buffering (i.e. pauses) if you have a slow connection. Also, turning down the brightness on the TV, or any other screens, will help reduce power consumption.

2021 T@B 320CSS Boondock - "Chirping Bird"
    2018 Chevy Colorado - "Dad's Truck"
    ok, here's what I read from above "blah, blah, blah, ba blah blah blah! hahahah... Just kidding. I will make sense of it eventually! 
    Haha. Yeah, it can be confusing especially since HDMI can send audio back and forth form source to output. To make it easy I would omit the splitter and just unplug the cube’s HDMI from the tv. Use that HDMI for the DVD player and set your cube to AUX to send the audio from the tv to the cube’s speakers.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • MTFLYMTFLY Member Posts: 22
    So who uses the cubes HDMI port on 2022 Tab 400? Theres no practical way to run power or place your entertainment device due to its location. 
    Finley ~
    2021 Ram Bighorn North Edition “MTFLY” 
    2022 Tab 400BD “Honey Pot”
    ”Honey attracts more flies than vinegar”
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    It actually works fine in my opinion.  I already had a long HDMI cable so I did not want buy another piece of equipment.  We simply plug our small sony blue ray player into the cube and watch movies.  The blue ray plugs into the outlet run by the inverter when we are off grid.  When on shore power it plugs into the outlet in the kitchen.  We put a command spring clip thing on the ceiling and it holds the HDMI cable out of the way.  We normally have a small extension cord plugged into the inverter outlet anyway to run our coffee pot when off grid. This is what the dvd player is plugged into.   It tucks nicely away by the mattress so it is also not in the way either. Super easy and cost us nothing.  And we don't watch tons of movies so we just kept it simple.  The song player and HDMI cable tuck away nicely in the open cubby above the television.  With the 2022 it may be even easier as I do believe you now have a power outlet at the foot of the bed near the television.  You could plug the dvd player into that for power.  As you can see there are several ways you can run a dvd player in the trailers with the cube.  Just pick what will work best for you.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
    I find the hdmi on the cube a little useless given it’s location. You could utilize the hdmi on the back of the TV to plug a DVD player into and possibly create something for the player to be permanently installed at the end of the bed (maybe on the shelf below the tv). 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    edited November 2021
    We have this 25$ DVD player and it wedges between the hanger bar and top of the wardrobe. USB powered and it includes an HDMI cable.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/531304576
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    @rhyno
    Do you power it off the Jensen's USB port? If so, that's a great find.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    edited November 2021
    @ChrisFix- It sure does!
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • I have the big fridge, so I guess I will have to mount the player in my freezer! hahahaha
    edited November 2021
    I guess a fire stick could use that trick without needing a wedge or makeshift whatever. Where’s that hotspot lol
    Finley ~
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    MTFLY said:
    I guess a fire stick could use that trick without needing a wedge or makeshift whatever. Where’s that hotspot lol
    Yes - I use a firestick and power it from the USB using a very short right-angled usb cable to it is a 'clean' install with no cables hanging down. Works great - but like you say, you'll need the almighty internet to enjoy it!
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/140422/#Comment_140422
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
    So I got my Tab 400 2022 with 3 way fridge Veterans Day weekend. I plugged HDMI cable into cube and ran it along top of fridge tucking a bit in the gap then down left side of fridge and looped on bottom fridge hinge then pulled it around the corner to the cubby by the head of the bed. That's where we have our HDMI device that we can run 110 power to from the outlet in the cubby. HDMI cable is not very noticeable the way I ran it and doesn't hinder the opening and closing of the fridge. I'm afraid the only way to get sound to all four speakers while watching TV is to use the cube's HDMI input using a DVD player, etc. On a side note, when using the after market TV antennae to watch free TV i only get sound from the TVs speakers. I was expecting to have the option to play sound via the cube while watching free TV ... the TV did not come with an owner's manual so I'm not sure if I'm missing something.
    Finley ~
  • In my 2019 400 I didn't have the cube, but to get the tv sound to come out over the surround sound, I had to put the Jensen into HDMI mode. Did you try that already?