Options

Venting of the Isotherm Cruise 65 Elegance Refrigerator

QUESTION FOR THOSE WHO OWN A NEWER (2021 or 2022) 320 S that has the Isotherm Cruise 65 Elegance refrigerator:  I can see from photos of the newer 320 S models that there is a vent at the top of the refrigerator, but I am curious if nuCamp included a fresh air inlet at the bottom of the refrigerator.  I ask, because the Isotherm user manual states that it is important that fresh air be able to enter at the bottom and pass behind the refrigerator, with hot air being allowed to escape from the top or sides.  Thanks!
2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
(Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    I can't answer the question, but if someone is willing to check their 21/22, I suggest looking in/under the cabinet/drawer below the unit. Older T@Bs with the Norcold 3163 3-way had a round vent through the floor in this location. It wouldn't surprise me if that vent was resurrected for this model.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Thanks for the photo, @ScottG.  It is the best angle of that area that I have seen.  Looking at other photos, I have wondered if there was a small horizontal opening below the refrigerator (and above the drawer), but apparently not.  Your suggestion of the vent through the floor is a good possibility, but it would seem that the drawer would block the fresh air flow.
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    A drawer box does not block the whole opening, there is space between the drawer sides and the cabinet sides, for air to flow around and up.  You are going to get a convection type air circulation, similar to how the Alde works.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 189
    As @Denny16 said, the air flow is from below but inside.  There is no outside vent.  Here is a photo of the gap below the fridge and above the pull-out drawer - and the drawer doesn't go all the way to the back of the cabinet so there is room for air to flow there.  That does eliminate the bug and mouse problem with an outside vent and it cuts down on dust as well.  We haven't operated our fridge in real hot summer weather (like 90+) but we haven't had any problems with fridge performance during last summer's camping which sometimes hit low 80s.

2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited December 2021
    We looked at a 400 Solo last year. The larger two way fridge in it was vented internally too, with vents in the casework above and below (if I'm remembering correctly).

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited December 2021
    Yes, the smaller two way in the TaB400s is also vented inside the trailer, no external vents.  We have not had any issues either. Lower drawer under the fridge vents from behind and up the back of the fridge.  The galley cabinets have air flow from under them and up the back and out behind the counter.  
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @WayneW, thank you for the photo and explanation.  Very helpful.  I had assumed there was an exposed opening under the refrigerator, but had never seen a photo that clearly depicted that.

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,199
    There are a few posts on here (some from me) about the isotherm fridge and cooling issues. I think the consensus is that interior cabin temps really dictate how well it will work. Some have added fans to the backside with little effect (you just end up pulling already-warm air behind the fridge). The 400 has plenty of space behind the fridge with proper ventilation above and below and ours struggles once the outside temps get into the 90s. Unless you run the AC it struggles. 

Next summer I want to play around with putting a fan inside the refrigerator as there tends to be hot and cold spots inside. My thinking is that distributing the air evenly inside will cut down on the fridge running constantly and, therefore, more efficiently. There are videos out there showing the process. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    @manyman297, I have seen the posts you referenced and appreciate you referencing them here to add to the discussion.

I anticipate that by installing the Isotherm all the way to the right (i.e., closer to the two passenger side refrigerator vents), there will be good air flow, especially for the heated exhaust air blowing out from behind and/or over the top of the refrigerator.  I like that the Isotherm has a small fan at the back that blows the fresh air through the compressor/condensor fins.  That should not only improve cooling performance, but should also direct the hot air toward the existing side vents.

I also saw the discussion about the possibility of creating a vaccuum effect depending on how the air is flowing.  I have pondered whether having both side vents open will cause any issues in that regard.  However, for the time being, I plan to allow for maximum air flow and anticipate that I will achieve better results than the way nuCamp has designed the Isotherm installation (i.e., with fresh air entering below the refrigerator and exhaust air venting out over the top of the refrigerator and back inside the trailer.)  It seems logical that without an external exhaust for the heated air, a cabin with high inside temperatures is going to result in circulating warm air around the refrigerator.  Only time will tell.

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited January 2022
    Would adding a horizontal baffle between the two exterior vents encourage air to flow completely around the fridge to assist cooling? 
    Edit: You mentioned positive airflow by a fan and I'm thinking of a ducting effect using a baffle. (We used quite a bit of this stuff with race cars, in my previous life).

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    @CrabTab, great minds think alike.  That is something I have been thinking about.  What originally gave me the idea was the fact that I had removed the aluminum-backed foam from the right-rear corner of the refrigerator compartment.  I may "repurpose" that (or make a similar one) to separate the two vents.  Initially, Plan "A" will be to go without the baffle and see how the refrigerator operates without it.    If there does seem to be too much air entering the compartment and preventing hot air from fully exhausting, I will shift to Plan "B" (your suggestion) and see what happens.  Thanks for the post!

• Options
    BucksterBuckster Member Posts: 62
    Denny16 said:
    Yes, the smaller two way in the TaB400s is also vented inside the trailer, no external vents.  We have not had any issues either. Lower drawer under the fridge vents from behind and up the back of the fridge.  The galley cabinets have air flow from under them and up the back and out behind the counter.  
     Cheers 
    On the 320 CS-S with the galley kitchen equipped with the Isotherm Cruise 65, does anyone know if running the fridge while towing (with the hatch closed) interferes with the air flow?
    2022 T@B 320 CS-S Boondock
    2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
    SW Ohio
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,510
    Unless something has changed, I do not think the CSS has the Isotherm 65 due to lack of depth in the CSS galley.  I think they still install a Norcold.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    BucksterBuckster Member Posts: 62
    NuCamp has upgraded the 2022 models (I'm not sure about the 2021).  The 2022 CS-S now comes with the Cruise 65 Elegance Black, 2.3 cu.ft., AC/DC, Black Door, 3-Sided Flange.
    2022 T@B 320 CS-S Boondock
    2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
    SW Ohio
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,510
    Good to know.  I wonder how they shoe horned it in😂
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Resurrecting this thread as we’re nearing peak seasonal temps and already having cooling issues on our isotherm 65 (in a 2021 400 BD).

A question for the engineering-minded here:

Would upgrading the fridge fan to help aide in ventilation have more of an effect than installing a circulation fan inside the cooling compartment?

We just spent a couple of nights where interior cab temps were in the mid 80s and the fridge struggled to maintain even 45 degrees for one day. Compressor ran constantly. Dial turned up all the way. We had some cloud cover the next day so the fridge did ok.

Obviously if we ran the AC it would probably be fine but what about when we’re out fishing for hours and the AC is off. Curious if others are having this kind of trouble and what you do to combat it.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    While it is a safe bet nüCamp installed the Isotherm per the "installation guidelines" it should be easy to measure/check . . . .

Ventilation Guidelines:

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    I’ve seen this guide but it appears Nucamp didn’t include the lower sidewall vent and instead included a vent below the fridge venting into the space behind the drawer under the fridge. Not sure if this sidewall vent is much more effective. 

I’ve toyed with the idea of installing some accessory fans to pull air in and out but that’s a more involved remedy.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    rudacille1rudacille1 Member Posts: 6
    Getting ready to install the Isotherm Cruise 65. Are you satisfied with the venting?
  • Options
    GregChrisGregChris Member Posts: 189
    My wife doesn't like AC. We have camped in the upper 80' cabin temp, and the fridge(ISOTHERM) stayed below 40 on dial #2. It also kept a couple of burger patties frozen for a week. This is a 2021 320s bd. I've also read about problems keeping it cold while towing. I turned it on when we left, and 5 hours later upon arrival at dest it was cold and I had a full battery charge.