Options

Potential first-time buyers with questions

The wife and I are seriously looking at getting a camper so we can quit sleeping on the ground in a tent.  We've been looking at something small enough to easily pull behind our Jeep (Gladiator) and discovered nuCamp.
So we're looking at the T@B CS-S as the external kitchen seems nicer than on the inside (plus, we're camping, why stay cooped up inside?)
Now, some of our questions, some of which we'll probably get answers to when we go to the camper and RV show in two weeks, that maybe you kind folks can help with:
  1. It doesn't look like it, but does the CS-S have a hitch receiver, that we could put a bike rack on?
  2. If it doesn't have a receiver, can a pair of 26" bikes be squeezed inside for transport?  I've seen tongue-mounted bike racks, but MAN they are pricey!
  3. Reading some of the posts about the '22 models, how big of a deal is the new floor system?
  4. Are these suitable for multi-state trips?  Say for example, Detroit, MI area to Texas?
  5. Can you squeeze a Yeti cooler (110 size) through the door to sit on the floor (again, for transport)?
I think at the moment that about covers the worst of it.
----------------------------------------------------------
Jay and Kat
Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    1.  The TaB framing will not support a rear hitch receiver, but many owners mount bike racks in the front.
    2.  It would be awkward to squeeze in 2 bikes, but it would be easier to travel with the bed open and lay the bikes on the bed.
    3.  NuCamp has taken the long road to perfecting the all-composite floor.  Fingers crossed that the new floor resolves the issues. Either way, they stand behind their work.
    4.  Owners travel long distances with their TaBs.  Think east coast to Alaska.  We completed our own 2 month trip this past fall, Ohio to Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado and Utah.  The quality of the parts and assembly have performed well.
    5.  We travel with a large plastic tote on the floor just inside the door.  27 L x 17 W
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 215
    Putting the bikes in the bed of the truck is option 2 over in the trailer (after all, they'd bring in some junk and crud, meaning we'd need to clean.)  We were hoping to be able to keep the bed covered and use it for things like the cooler, but ce-la-vis  :-)
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Sharon did a great job of addressing these. I’ll just add on to number 4 a bit…yes, but with some caveats. A 320 is a tiny trailer with limited storage overall. If you are minimalists, maybe you can fit everything inside. If not, you’ll need to plan accordingly and use some of the Jeep’s cargo area. Likewise, because there are two of you traveling, you’ll want to think about what it would be like to be stuck inside together for hours or days in bad weather. For many couples, that’s not an issue, but for others being in a confined space just creates conflict. I’ve noted more than once that my late husband & I had a very good marriage, and yet I would have gone nuts trying to deal with him in the Tab. As a couple, we absolutely would have needed a bigger RV than I do solo.

I strongly encourage everyone looking at a 320 to hang out in one on the dealer’s lot for a few hours. Tell the sales guy to go away, you need time to determine if this rig is the right fit. Then both of you get in there and both of you act out all the motions of daily life inside that tiny space. You may find you’re in each other’s way quite a bit. Pretend to get dressed, and pretend to use the bathroom for all functions. (Hint: unless you’re short, you may find you have to sit to shower and to pull on a shirt, due to the lower than typical ceiling height.) Think hard about what you will put in each cabinet, and how easy or hard those things will be to access. Since you’re looking at a CSS, the bed is smaller…make sure you both fit comfortably on there. This is a big investment, it’s worth taking the time to make sure you make the right decision.

For some folks, the 320 is a perfect balance of size and function, but that’s not true for everyone. The Gladiator will pull a Tab 400 if the 320 proves to be too small, we have a couple people here who went that route.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Victoria
    Being a smidge over 6ft, I know I'm going to be "snug" in the camper, but I can survive it.  One of our likely additional purchases will be a "picnic" tent or the like to pitch outside the camper to create an outdoor space to use.
    But yes, one of our plans for the RV show is to seriously look at how we think one of these will work for us.
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    Pretzel14Pretzel14 Member Posts: 11
    VictoriaP has already said, and said it  better than I could, observations to carefully consider.  My late wife and I would probably have considered the 400, but even after 48 years of a good  marriage I'm pretty positive the 320s or CS would have been too small for us. That's reality.   But Covid has changed many of our lives, and our expectations. 

So, I ordered and took delivery of a 2022 beautiful 320s Boondock in September.  My TV is a 2021 Highlander Hybrid.  Since then I've taken the Boondock out on 7 trips, 5000+ miles, from 3 to 6 nights, from shore power air conditioning to 25 degree nights boondocking.  This summer will be my first out West trip with this rig.  Everything, absolutely everything, has performed up to or above expectations.  I added an accessory cargo carrier to the Thule racks to carry chairs, side table, tarp, etc.  I just measured and ordered (24"x36") two throw rugs for the interior, one for the entrance and second for between the seats/beds.  I plan on traveling with my bicycle inside the trailer with the front wheel stowed inside the TV.  Maybe a front bike rack in the future.  We'll see.

I considered the T@B 400, but as I already had the Highlander I went with the lighter weight 320s.  It's a great match for me.  Even though storage is limited, I still haven't filled all available space.  Love them both.  Really do. 

Explore this forum.  The wealth of knowledge is incredible, and can be applied even beyond the NuCamp lines. I've had fun incorporating lots of suggestion I've read here.   It's obvious to me that NuCamp continues to incorporate improvements and suggestions in their products, and they are expanding factory and repair facilities.  BTW, I'm not affiliated With NuCamp, just happy that my research has been justified with my purchase.
    2021 Toyota Highlander Hybrid -  2022 320s T@B Boondock "Jeremi@h"
    Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,501
    The wife and I are seriously looking at getting a camper so we can quit sleeping on the ground in a tent.  We've been looking at something small enough to easily pull behind our Jeep (Gladiator) and discovered nuCamp.
    So we're looking at the T@B CS-S as the external kitchen seems nicer than on the inside (plus, we're camping, why stay cooped up inside?)
    Now, some of our questions, some of which we'll probably get answers to when we go to the camper and RV show in two weeks, that maybe you kind folks can help with:
    1. It doesn't look like it, but does the CS-S have a hitch receiver, that we could put a bike rack on?
    2. If it doesn't have a receiver, can a pair of 26" bikes be squeezed inside for transport?  I've seen tongue-mounted bike racks, but MAN they are pricey!
    3. Reading some of the posts about the '22 models, how big of a deal is the new floor system?
    4. Are these suitable for multi-state trips?  Say for example, Detroit, MI area to Texas?
    5. Can you squeeze a Yeti cooler (110 size) through the door to sit on the floor (again, for transport)?
    I think at the moment that about covers the worst of it.
    1. No
    2. I have a folding bike that I put inside for transport. I think you could get two in there.
    4. Sure. 
    5. I have a 30qt electric cooler that barely fits through the door. I think that 100qt might be too wide - you would have to check. I would also be concerned about the impact of the weight of a full 100 qt cooler on the trailer. Also, in hot weather the interior of the trailer can get pretty warm. 

I have a clamshell and I love it. It's best suited for people who spend most of their time outside and just want to sleep inside. I camp mostly in state parks and national forests. I'm in the West, where summers are dry, so this probably also affects my take on the clamshell.
    I think that the "regular" T@B with the indoor kitchen is better for people who want to use the trailer for roadtripping, driveway camping (visiting friends and family), or staying in RV parks. 

Be sure to check the size of the clamshell bed before you buy. It's smaller than the regular T@B and is really designed for sleeping wheel-to-wheel (70"). I do have one friend who is well over 6' who has a clamshell. He sleeps the other direction by placing a stool with a cushion in front of the T@B door at night. There are other modifcations that have been made to allow this configuration - you can find them by using the search function in this forum. OTOH, the clamshell kitchen is probably more comfortable for a tall person to use.

IMO the clamshell model is also better if you share your campsite with friends who are still in tents.

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited January 2022
    We looked at the 320 CS-S, loved the outdoor galley area concept.   Alas, at 5’9” the inside was too low to sand up, except in the center.  Also the shower was too low, and I would have to sit to shower.  
    We also have a Jeep Gladiator as a TV (ours is a Sport S with the max tow rear springs/shocks).  So we looked at the 400, and it was a perfect fit, just enough more room to be comfortable, without feeling crowded with two of us inside.  I can stand up in the shower and sleep in both the front and rear bunk.  We have a 2018 with the large wardrobe locker, and it gives us the extra storage space and a hanging locker for coats, etc. The Gladiator tows the TaB400 quite nicely.

The new floor for 2022 is a very big deal, I feel.  It is a 100% composite single layer rigid floor unit, that is used in commercial cargo trailers and large cargo trucks.  Airstream is also using this new floor, which is made in the USA.  No wood in the floor to cause issues, and it is 100% water proof, and all plumbing cutouts are CNC machined for a perfect tight/sealable fit.  
    As for bikes, I carry mine in the bed of the Gladiator.  I have the cargo rails and got a bike fork lockable mount that attaches with tires bolts to the front cargo rail, and a 29” hard tail bike fits with the rear wheel left on.  I cable lock the bike to the cargo hold down loops.  If you want to leave the bed cover over the bed, just lay the bikes on their side.  Our Yeti cooler also fits in the bed, along with a propane camping stove, for cooking outdoors.

Good luck with your RV search.  We looked at several brands, and the Airstream.  Most of the trailers we looked at had poor construction, bad cabinet work, and wasted space.  The Airstream was nice, but too expensive for our budget.  The Taxa trailers are nice, well built, but a step up from tent camping with their tent-like popup, and the only one with a shower was larger than we wanted to tow.

So the TaB400 was perfect, well made, quality cabinets and just big enough for our needs.  While not camping, it is parked in our back driveway area, where we can use it to watch the sunset during the colder winter weather, or just hang out for a change, and enjoy Sunday morning coffee and rolls.  Good luck with your search.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited January 2022
    I suggest the 400. It's only 3 feet longer and foot higher head room. I'm a solo traveler and the 400 is just right for me. I had a 320 for the first 4 years but i needed more space in the shower mainly. I really think the 400 would suite your needs better.  
  • Options
    @Denny16 - our TV will also be our Gladiator Sport S, just without the dedicated tow package.  Looking at the specs, it looks like we should still be able to pull a 400, if we go that route.  And from what you said, it does sound like aiming to get a '22 model year would be worth it to avoid floor issues down the road.
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited January 2022
    You will EASILY be able to tow a 400 with a Jeep Gladiator.  I towed my 400 with a Jeep Wrangler 4-door (turbo) with a weight distribution hitch.  You wouldn't even need the WDH with a Gladiator.  The Wrangler towed it VERY easy and I hardly felt it back there. Very easy take off from stop lights, etc, easy stopping.  Gladiator is rated even higher towing capacity so you would be well equiped to tow a 400. 
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited January 2022
    We considered the clamshell, but we're very glad that we decided on the indoor kitchen. We can pull over and make coffee incognito anywhere. When the weather is awful we can hide in the Tab and make simple meals. It's not a 'living space', and we never intended it to be.

We also have the side tent for if we expect to be at a campsite for more than 2 nights. It really adds to the space for us. 

Our approach with the purchase of the Tab was to find something that was a notch easier than a tent. Wouldn't have to set up, wouldn't have to have a campsite if we were on the road. The small luxuries, like the indoor toilet (private toilet rather than using the rest stop toilet), the bed that's ready when we're too exhausted to deal with setup, the dry kitchen if needed in bad weather (we normally cook on the fire), are all just pluses.

I'm 6 ft 3, we sleep wheel to wheel, I sleep a little bit at an angle, and my wife doesn't have any problem with that. The bed is really big in the non clamshell.

For us it was the perfect upgrade from a tent!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 611

We started with a 320 but got tired of having to break down and set up the bed/table every morning and evening. Went with the 400 primarily because the bed and table are separate. The extra room and storage space is a huge plus also.

Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    edited January 2022

Not saying that the larger 400 doesn't have it's advantages, but breaking down the bed doesn't have to be the determining factor. If you can deal with side-to-side sleeping, the 320S can work with some modifications. I'm 6' and sleep comfortably at a slight angle. The bed is permanently setup with a mattress that's 54" wide by 71" long. Much rather eat outside under our canopy, but we still have indoor seating for a quick bite on the road or when weather is really bad.

edit to add: Be sure to see @VictoriaP's post below.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    edited January 2022

To make this clear to anyone new to the forum looking at a Tab 320 to purchase, @AnOldUR’s Tab 320s pictured above has undergone pretty major modification. What he’s tackled isn’t for the faint of heart (or those of us with lesser or non-existent handyperson skills/adequate tools!) The awesome layout in that pic would also be tricky to impossible to replicate in the 2021 or later due to the much lower bottom on the upper rear cabinets. And it can’t be done at all in the clamshell that the original poster is looking at as the dinette of those units is much narrower.

It may be doable, but for a lot of us, an off the shelf RV that is designed with a separate seating versus bed area makes a lot more sense.

(I’ll note that for solo folks, this layout can be done with no mods at all, just lower the bench back for a twin bed and leave the small side bench cushions in place. The bed pictured above is full size.)

Edit: something else I’ll note…In the 320, your bed is made up of multiple cushions. Most of us end up with some sort of mattress topper both for cushioning and to combat the feel of all those crevices beneath you. The thickness + dimensions of the topper may limit both your access to the cabinets below and your ability to tear down the bed each day without finding a place to store that bulky addition. I mention this because I wanted to try to set the bed back into dinette mode daily this camping season, but then ended up with a back issue that now requires 5 inches of foam on top of those cushions. Believe me, there is nowhere in a 320 to store that much foam during the day! I guess I’m still stuck with a full time twin bed.

So when you are evaluating a 320 or any other “dinette to bed” style trailer, you need to think about where that bedding will go if you plan to use the dinette in table mode.

2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options

You are absolutly going to need a topper (in 320 and 400), as far as I'm concerned. As a solo traveler in the 320 the bed was a permanent layout for me because I had to get a 3" topper.

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299

@Jay_and_Kat , @AnOldUR's modification is a very interesting and unique method of having it both ways (a full-time bed plus seating, and a table to boot!) The negatives of that arrangement for me is the reduced width of the bed, plus the loss of the rear shelf and storage it houses.

To piggy-back on @VictoriaP's comments, I am 5'11 (my wife is shorter) and we are very happy with the full-sized bed we have, which is 70" W x 73" L with a 2" thick mattress topper from Mattress Insider. Like @AnOldUR, I sleep at a slight angle, which is very comfortable. Although you have to put the bedding away if you want to use the table and seating (which we only occasionally do), it really is no big deal. Like many other 320 S owners on this site, we simply roll up the bedding and hide it behind the rear bench. It fits perfectly and we still have the rear shelf and storage available to store items. Also, as far as the width of the bedding, at night we often have some items set to the sides of the bed on top of the mattress and covers for easy access. Although I think I would have preferred a 400, simply for the benefits of better head room, a full-time bed and table/seating, plus a larger bathroom, I am extremely happy with our 320 S. We down-sized from a 5th wheel. You will be up-sizing from a tent, so it is going to be a huge improvement. We spend most of our time outside when we camp, including doing all the cooking outside, and use the trailer primarily for sleeping. Also, as already mentioned, if the weather is bad, you have a cozy cabin to relax in, plus you can cook inside, if necessary.

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491

Sorry to hijack the post, but I would love to see a photo of the Lagun table mounting for @AnOldUR 's T@B. I would like to move my table from the rear bench area to make it easier to get in and out of the rear bed. Thanks!

2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    edited January 2022

@PNWtabber https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/177411#Comment_177411

I had it @AnOldUR’s post on that bookmarked. Unfortunately my Tab has a propane/CO monitor I would have to move to put mine there, the 2020 has a different arrangement of things on that side of the dinette from the 2019 and older models.

Edit to add: …and for newcomers, the legs of the pull out benches will block this mounting location on 2021 or later Tab 320s units. Man, it’s hard to remember all the model year differences when posting!

2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options

"Unfortunately my Tab has a propane/CO monitor I would have to move to put mine there, the 2020 has a different arrangement of things on that side of the dinette from the 2019 and older models."

Thanks, @VictoriaP , no wonder I was scratching my head. Yeah that area has a lot of stuff going on in my 2018 T@B. Darn.

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299

@PNWtabber, I don't intend to step on @AnOldUR 's toes in responding to your inquiry, but I just happen to have previously saved the link to those photos, so here ya go............you may even see your forum name and a couple questions in that discussion as well. 😉

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/12150/where-to-put-the-lagun-table-at-night/p2

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    edited January 2022

@VictoriaP & @Bayliss covered it with their links, but I'll add that moving the propane/CO monitor is really easy. That location can handle a lot of modding. Room to spare! 😁

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options

Thanks @AnOldUR and @Bayliss . I recall earlier discussions about moving the Lagun table. Guess I haven't found the sweet spot yet.

• Options
    @Bayliss, I think our tent might be about the same size (with better headroom in the center) than a 320!  We easily get a queen-size air mattress in the tent with about 6" on either side clear and enough room at the head to keep our cooler, dirty clothes bag, shower supplies, and clean clothes...
    :-)
    It's a big tent.
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    As at least one other person mentioned about size, I would like to restate it. I am 5' 11", we had a 2017 320-S and it is a miserable experience to never be able to stand up without having your head twisted to one side.

Add in the that you can't take a shower standing up and the fact that my feet had to hang over the end of the bed, it was just not a good situation. That doesn't include the mandatory head bumps on cabinets, at least 2 x per outing. 

Now, don't get me wrong, the 320 is an excellent camper and we enjoyed it on weekend trips. In our first outing in 2020, my wife looked at me and said, "if we are going to do this, we need to get something that you can be comfortable in too". She is 5' 1" and was fine in the 320, I went and looked at Airstream and then to the dealer that sells TAB's and bought a 2020 400 BDL. 

For our use, the 400 is the best RV for the job. Looking back, I am not sorry that we bought a used 320-S first, we had a great time with it and were able to experience the quality of NuCamp without paying full price. Made it much easier to move forward on the 400 when I did, and we got it just before "covid hit the fan". 

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @Jay_and_Kat - we typically leave the CSS in bed mode.  We almost always use the side tent, so we are not in the TaB except to sleep, dress or shower.  Our side tent is a great living room!  On the occasion of cold weather, we spend some time sitting in the camper.  We added a small shelter over the rear galley in case it rains.  I think how and when you intend to camp will help you determine what you need.  The CSS is our first (and last) camper and we are using it as planned.  So, I think it helps to really think about your future plans.  You can’t go wrong with either nuCamp trailer.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    OK, OK, OK you win!   =)
    We're going to switch to looking at the 400!   =)
    But seriously, we've been discussing it and taking the information here to heart, and we have decided the 400 is more likely to suit us better (Boondock version, though.)  The extra space, the headroom (for me), the inside facilities (seating and kitchen), have won us over.

Now to just wait for the RV show to get to see one in person and chat with a salesperson.
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    Sometimes owners in your area are willing to let you come look at theirs. Where do you live? 
  • Options
    Detroit, Michigan area.  The Michigan dealer for nuCamp from on the Grand Rapids side of the state has confirmed to us in email that they're going to be at the RV show in 2 weeks with some of the nuCamps along, so we're not worried about checking one out sooner.

And, most likely, it'll still be a week or two after the show before we're ready to start the purchase process, so it's not like we need to figure it all out NOW NOW NOW.   :)
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    RMoRMo Member Posts: 144
    …we have decided the 400 is more likely to suit us better (Boondock version, though.
    If I may ask, why the BD version?.  We have the 400 std and I’ve often wondered if the BD would be better for some reason, but with our “set up camp and explore in our TV” approach to camping, I haven’t seen the advantage.
    2019 T@B 400
    2017 Highlander Limited Platinum