Options

Potential first-time buyers with questions

2»

Comments

• Options
    Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 215
    @RMo we're thinking the boondock because we're thinking of taking it to some of the state and federal land to go camping in our state.  Places where the only way to get there is on two-track dirt or fire roads.  It's entirely possible we'll be "over-buying" for what we end up needing, but I suppose the way to look at it would be, if you buy a BD and don't need it, you're only out some money; if you don't buy a BD and need it, you have to decide if you want to part with your trailer and get a BD or give up going to the spots you need the BD...
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Jay and Kat
    Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
    Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited January 2022
    Good question, a std TaB400 has fairly good ground clearance, and a good departure angle.  But the approach angle is not as good, and the Jack tongue can be bottomed out on steep driveways or short steep hills.  The Boondock increases the ground clearance, and improves the approach angle, resulting is fewer grounding situations. 

We started out with the standard version of the TaB400, worked well, except when I tried to get into a favorite beach campground down in a cove, the Jack post bottomed out a bit.  Since I want to camp off the beaten path here in NorCal, I switched out the axles and tires to a Boondock package last year.  Worked great, gave me the additional clearance and the trailer height off the ground matches my TV, a Jeep Gladiator.  The Boondock package wasn’t available on the 2018 year model, came out in 2019.

If you are highway driving, camping at paved or reasonably flat camp sites, the n
    Std model would be fine.  If camping on BLM land or other off road sites, the Boondock model might be a better choice.  It just depends on the type of camping you plan to do.  

That said, Mellow Yellow has gone on unpaved, graded roads like fire trials and back wood roads (not well maintained) all over Vancouver Island with the standard original TaB (previous model to the 320) without any issues with ground clearance.
     Cheers 

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @Denny16 and now I know the Boondock will have another advantage for us!  The height will match OUR Gladiator!   B)

Now, if only someone could tell me the size towball we need, the owners manual on nuCamp says either a 2" or a 2-5/16" depending on what's on the decal on the tongue...   ;)
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    I personally do not like the boondock model. I had to make a special order for a 2022 standard model. Seems like 99% are BD these days. I don't like how it looks sitting up higher plus it's harder to get in and out of without possibly hurting your back.  I just feel it looks more sleek somehow when it's closer to the ground, but if you plan to go over some rougher terrain then the BD model really makes sense. The BD is also heavier than the standard model. 
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 271
    @Denny16 and now I know the Boondock will have another advantage for us!  The height will match OUR Gladiator!   B)

Now, if only someone could tell me the size towball we need, the owners manual on nuCamp says either a 2" or a 2-5/16" depending on what's on the decal on the tongue...   ;)
    It takes a 2” ball. At least it does on our 2021 400 BD.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    @Jay_and_Kat, with the RV parts shortages, nüCamp may be using the two sizes you listed, depending on availability.  You are going to have to wait and see which one you end up with, unless your build has started, and perhaps the dealer can find out which hitch ball size your TaB is gong to have.  Previously, all TaBs used a 2-inch ball on the hitch.  

For your Gladiator (if it is a Sport or Sport S with the standard factory hitch receiver installed, you will need a 3/4” rise ( a 2”-drop reversed), 2x2 draw bar with a 3/4” hole for the hitch ball.  This is what I ended up needing.  You could always get both size balls and the draw bar, and take them with you when you pick up your TaB.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    Heh, we haven't done anything yet, beyond imagining the trailer and where we'll go with it!

So if I'm understanding you right, the bar that the ball mounts to, will be turned "upside down" so that rather than the mount angling "down" to the ball, it will be angling "up" to have the trailer sit level?
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Yes, the 2-inch drop draw bar, when reversed so it goes up, rather than Dow, is a 3/4” rise.  I didn’t realize this either, until my dealer service tech showed me and setup the draw bar for me when I went to pick up the TaB after the Boondock axle/wheels was put on.  The Boondock setup on the TaB400 matches the Gladiator nicely.
    cheers
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited January 2022
    Jay and Kat, how far are you from Juniata Valley, Pennsylvania? I've bought three T@bs from them and referred numerous forum members there.  Their prices will make your chin drop in a good way!! No need to haggle at all. Their price from the first contact has been $3500-4500 below Beckleys in Thurmont for all three purchases. I even tried to get Beckleys to match Juniata price but they wouldnt budge. Its an hour and a half farther for me to get to Juniata but it's worth saving that much money.   I know there is a price increase on the horizon from nucamp but I paid $34,390 for my 2022 400 and i referred a person from here and they bought a 400 Boondock for just under $36k. 

Ask for Rick and say you were referred by Robyn Eller. 
  • Options
    @TabbyShack we're about an 8hr, one-way drive from them...
    Presuming you're referring to Jaunita Valley RV in Mifflintown, PA?
    So not sure it'd be worth the savings to drive that far and back (and worse, the back being the FIRST time we've ever towed something!)
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    Oh yes, sorry. I should have given those obvious additional details.  Yea, probably not worth that distance.  I remember my first drive home by myself, first time towing and it started snowing just as I arrived back home. Phew! That was nerve racking. It's about a 3 hour drive for me.
  • Options
    Yeah, it'll be stressful enough when we get one, as the dealer we'd be picking up from (most likely) is about a 3hr drive one way and it'll probably still be winter and windy...
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    Have them set you up with a hitch that supports a sway bar. I never tow without mine. 
  • Options
    TabbyShack, a Jeep Gladiator towing a TaB400 does not need a sway bar.  The Jeep truck has a computer controlled anti-sway system built into it.  I never.  have had any sway issues, even on highway at 60-65mph.  The Gladiator has a 6,000 to 7,500 trailer towing capacity.  So a 3500 loaded TaB400 is easily towed, as long as the trailer is kept level with a correct height hitch setup.

The rear suspension on the Gladiator is similar in size and shares the same axle as a Dodge Ram1500, 1/2 ton pickup truck.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited January 2022
    Huummmm, you know what my 2021 Wranger 4xe has the anti-sway in it. I bet I don't even need the sway bar.  I kept it when I sold my 2019 400, but it would be nice to not have that to take off before backing up, etc.  So glad you mentioned this. I might not need it either!
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,288
    Denny16 said:
    The Jeep truck has a computer controlled anti-sway system built into it....
    This sent me searching because the build sheet for my 2013 Wrangler includes "Trailer Sway Damping". It did not come with the tow package but a hitch was installed when I purchased it used. There was no trailer wiring, so I had the Airstream dealer I bought my T@B from install it. What I can't find is if the Trail Sway Damping has to be activated or if it just works since it's there. I'm thinking that activation may be something they do as part of the towing package?

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Not sure on that one, you may need to contact Jeep Cares or a good Jeep dealer directly to find out.  It may be a simple as connecting the programming computer to the Jeep to run an update.  In any case, the sway control on a 2013 Wrangler is not going to be the same as the one currently used on the Gladiator or new JL series Wrangler.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    Darn, was typing my reply and it disappeared.  I was saying oh yes, Trailer Sway Damping, that's what its called.  I have a 2021 Wrangler 4xe and I ordered it with the tow package so its all wired from the factory for towing.  I will call Jeep and ask about the feature to see if a sway bar might be redundent and I will post back here. I know we've gotten off topic though and hijacked this thead! 
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,288
    edited January 2022
    I will call Jeep and ask about the feature ...
    I'll be interested to hear what they say. I replied to the build email that Jeep sent me asking for more information on the Sway Damping. Let you know what I hear.
    Hoping that this off topic discussion on sway is helpful to @Jay_and_Kat? :s

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    @AnOldUR it is, as it gives us things to keep in mind when we do get the trailer.   B)
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    Our TaB dealer and Jeep dealer both said, a friction sway bar was redundant and not needed with the Gladiator when towing smaller trailers like the TaBs.  The Wrangler 4XE seems a good TV choice also, lots of torque to start up and pull hills.  The JL and Gladiators probably have the same anti-sway system.  Will be interesting to hear back from your dealers on the Wrangler.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    BrendaEBrendaE Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone used your Tab CS to camp in Forests, BLM and they don’t have a boondock version? 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    @BrendaE all of the Tabs....all....can get into Forest Service and BLM "boondocking" places.  None of them are climbing rocks or fording streams.  I have an "Outback" with the extra couple inches of clearance, and it is certainly nice, and I've boondocked in many remote places. But, the roads were always in decent shape.  All of the Tab trailers can make it into remote places as long as the roads are reasonable. 
    I think the reason for the non "boondock" CS was how it lifted the back counter a little too much? 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    BrendaEBrendaE Member Posts: 2
    Thanks- we thought boondock was most important.. then wanted CS…but not sure with  others mentioning how easy it is to misjudge clearances… but most CS are not boondock … if we want one in the next month - we have to change our preferences…
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    The CS's bottom rear is flat, unlike all other 320 models.  The flat bottom may bottom-out at the back in some situations where other 320s will not.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    BrendaE said:
    Has anyone used your Tab CS to camp in Forests, BLM and they don’t have a boondock version? 
    I have a regular (non Boondock) CS. I mostly camp in campgrounds in national forests and state parks, but nothing too gnarly. If you want to use unpaved roads I would go with the boondock version, but be aware that this is going to raise your galley counter.  
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab