Options

School me on max loading and keeping it safe...

Keep in mind, I've never towed a trailer.  If my Grandpa was still around, I could ask him for help (he used to tow his boat behind his Buick all the time,) but he's been gone for quite while.

Going to be towing a TAB 400 BD behind a Jeep Gladiator Sport S w/towing package (so max trailer per the manual: 600lb tongue weight) BUT the tire info placard on the doorframe says max load of 1075lbs.  Now, if I've understood what I've read, that means when the wife and I get in the Jeep that gets reduced by our weight (call it 400lbs) leaving us ~675lbs.  The tongue weight of the trailer counts against that, lets call it another 450lbs leaving us 225lbs (the bikes and bike rack are going on the tongue.)  So, presuming those numbers are all closeish, we're in good shape and could chuck another 200lbs in the bed of the Jeep without concern, yes?

Is there an easy / good / inexpensive way to determine your tongue weight when loading up?
----------------------------------------------------------
Jay and Kat
Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge

Comments

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    You understand correctly. The easiest and least expensive way is to go to a scale.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 215
    @Dutch061 I'm presuming you're talking about like a typical truck stop CAT scale?
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    Tongue weight can easily be weighed at home, either with a special tongue weight scale (available via online retailers) or even a bathroom scale with some modification to weigh over 300 lbs. Loaded trailer weight requires a CAT scale, and yes, you can use a truck stop for that.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Attached a pic of my tongue scale. It's a Sherline.   I just used it yesterday.  I love it and have used it often with all three of my T@bs, but if I recall it was about $120.  Peace of mind is priceless though.  
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited February 2022
    Jay, the max load sticker on the Gladiator, is,for any passengers, and cargo in the truck.  A driver weight allowance has already been calculated into the cargo rating.  So your wife, and any bots in the truck are cargo, including in the cab or bed.  The TaB’s tongue weight is also considered cargo and should be subtracted from the 1075 lbs.  If the tongue weighs in at 400lbs, that leaves 675 lbs, subtract your wife, and you have about 500 lbs (+/-) for,all,the camping bits, and stuff you need to take with you. Anything mounted to the trailer tongue, like a bicycle, also will add to the tongue weight.  I put the bike in our truck’s bed, better weight distribution.  Yes, this adds up quickly.

What year is your TaB400?  TaB400s built from 2021 and the new 2022 model have a lighter tongue weight, as the axle was shifted forward.  The 2020 TaB also is under 350 lbs dry, as it does not have the CoolCat AC.  Only the 2018 and 2019 TaB400s had the heavier 400+ lbs tongue weight.  Our 2018 TaB400 tongue weighs in at 400 lbs with no propane and a half filled water tank (which is in the middle centered on the axle).  It tows quite nicely behind our Gladiator Sport S.  The net 500lbs of cargo, less the TaB tongue weight and spouse, is more than e odor the stuff we haul around.

As for safely towing a trailer, look around where you live for a course on trailer towing safety.
     Cheers 

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @Denny16 our TAB is going to be a 2022 model year (anxiously awaiting the call from the RV dealer that it's in and ready!) which were the numbers I worked from on the nuCamp site.

Now, the rating, as I'm reading it, says "the combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed" (emphasis mine) which implies to me it's not including the weight of any human beings so my weight counts against the limit.

The 450lb tongue weight I was using was the dry tongue weight (318lbs per nuCamp) plus ~75 or so pounds for the bikes and rack and then a "fudge factor" to allow for "stuff" in the camper / box / strapped to the platforms (and, well, I'm also probably underestimating the wife and I)
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Jay, According to Chrysler Jeep, the cargo rating on the door excludes the driver.  This was discussed to no end on the Jeep Gladiator Forum last year.  Whilst loading your TaB, you want to distribute the weight front and back, so you can keep the tongue weight below 400 lbs or so quite easily.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    @Denny16 good to know that, then, thank you!
    /me recalculates, figures we've got another 200lbs of cargo capacity, cheers...  :smile:
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    There is a pretty good discussion in this thread with several examples of owner experience.
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/136545#Comment_136545
    IMO - Planning on regular travel at or near maximum load capacities is ill-advised, uncomfortable and stressful.  A poor foundation for an enjoyable travel experience.

• Options
    Towing with your truck’s cargo at its rating amount, has little effect on towing, whereas rowing a trailer that is at the max towing capacity and tonguenwight does have a big effect on towing experience.  Keeping your TV at or under its treated cargo capacity is a good practice all round.
    Cheers