Options

wheel bearing repacking

I have a 2016 Tab and would like to know if and when the wheel bearings need to be repacked.  And what type of wheel bearing grease should be used.

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited February 2022
    Wheel bearings on small trailers are normally serviced annually or at a specific mileage recommended by the maker, which ever comes first.  Si if your bearings haven’t been inspected and repacked since 2016, you are long overdue…
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @gmansor - the recommended interval for checking/repacking wheel bearings on the TaBs is annually or every 12,000 miles - whichever comes first.  Dexter defines repacking as use of the zerk fitting.  The recommended grease is:  Valvoline GM Multipurpose to grease the bearings.  The Tabs come with a lithium based grease, so it important to stick to that variety and avoid mixing different grease types.  

Here are some discussions:  https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/search?Search=Grease+bearings

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @Sharon_is_SAM Dexter also says to inspect the bearings and brakes, basically the entire hub assembly at the same interval, that to me means tear it apart and put eyes on everything, at that point you will be cleaning old grease out and replacing seal, adjustment of bearings and brakes so might as well do a proper grease packing too.

If you just pump grease in every 12k/12mo you are missing a large part of the recommend service procedure.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Yes @N7SHG_Ham and we all wish Dexter would have been more specific about when to actually use that zerk fitting😊
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    My thoughts are that ii is a good idea to check the brake settings each camping season to make sure they are equally and properly adjusted. As a result I agree with @N7SHG_Ham that a hands on approach or letting a trained mechanic inspect is needed yearly. What I feel comfortable doing as we use the camper far less than 10K per season is that I did a full disassembly and manual repack the first year followed by the zerk greasing per Dexter the next year. That way every other year the whole assembly is given a thorough going over. So far its working fine for our T@B 400.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @Sharon_is_SAM between my cargo trailer and my 400 I have something like 50k miles and a combined 20 years, that zerk fitting has only be used to flush old grease out at a full hand repack, never once in all that time did I have a need to randomly pump grease in the hub. I think it one is doing the teardown and inspection Dexter says to do yearly then it seems the zerk really has no use case.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    rs7971rs7971 Member Posts: 5
    Since I’m a new 400 owner and this is our first year experiencing the trailer, I won’t re-pack wheel bearings this year. However, I would like to know for next year what the procedure is. Do I remove the wheels and hub covers? Do I need to take the brakes off? Should I just take it to our dealer and have them do it?
    So many questions.
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    @rs7971 I had the same question when we got our lightly used 2019 400 in 2020. If you look up the Dexter procedure online and the many videos you can do the manual inspection and repack, which also allow for brake inspection and adjustment. Not that hard in my opinion and I had limited experience. With only a few thousand miles on our trailer the first season of full use, I decided to use the zerk this last year and that was super easy. Brakes are still in adjustment and now next year I will do a fully repack again. That was the best compromise for my level of use.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 203
    @rs7971 do you have a link to the procedure and videos you used handy by any chance?
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    This thread has a .doc file that shows the procedure fairly well, with the Dexter video on it.  Way up in the thread there is a search for "grease and bearings" that will show many more.  
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/14332/tab-400-2021-bearing-maintenance

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    This, not that. Dexter Bearing Maintenance - YouTube 
    @N7SHG_Ham is spot on. The brakes, bearings, axle shafts and seals require inspection at the same interval as the bearings require re-packing. Pushing grease in through the alemite fittings can potentially blow out the rear seals. This site has many posts about failed rear seals. It happens. A grease gun can generate 10,000 PSI. A rear seal is designed to withstand 500. How many pumps you ask? As many as it needs, not 30 because that was how many someone else did.
    To service the bearings and brakes you need to properly and safely jack up the trailer, loosen and remove the wheels (do one side at a time), remove the hub grease cap, remove the castellated nut, in some cases back off the brake adjusters and then remove the brake hub before you remove the bearings and rear seal. You will repack the bearings, clean and inspect the hubs, brakes, check the axles for scoring and the put everything back together. You should use a torque wrench on the castellated nut even though it is possible to do it without one. Most mechanics, myself included do not tighten it enough when it is done without the torque wrench. I usually stop about 10 to 15 foot pounds short....not on purpose. 
    Once this is all back together you may replace the wheels. Again, use a torque wrench to tighten them correctly. Once this is done, it's time to set the brakes using a brake spoon inserted through the opening in the rear of the drum. Snug em up until they drag, loosen them up so that they just barely scrap as they turn. 
    Almost anyone with decent tools can do this service. That said, it can seem somewhat daunting if you are not mechanically inclined. Any trailer shop is an alternative option for getting this work done affordably and properly. 
    The alemite fittings are best used for an occasional spritz of grease between services....a couple pumps and stop. 

• Options
    TurnOnMyMikeTurnOnMyMike Member Posts: 9
    Similar question - I got my 2018 Tab a year ago and know the bearings were repacked when I got it, but don't know what type of grease was used. Is it safe to assume it was lithium complex? Is there a way to tell other than driving until the wheel falls off? I have a grease gun with lithium complex grease (Lucas Oil 'red n tacky') ready to go and would rather not take apart the whole wheel assembly in the street if I can avoid it (I don't have a garage or good place to work on it).
    2018 T@b 320s Boondock
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    I’ll be doing a full tear down and repack here shortly. I’ve been having issues with one brake getting hotter than the other (already adjusted them, checked electrical connections, etc.) and I probably never would’ve known if I hadn’t put a thermal gun to each hub after a 30 minutes drive. I thought I had fixed the problem last year but it’s still giving me issues. Long story short, just take the hub apart and repack so you have a chance to check your brakes. The zerk fitting sounds enticing but as others have noted you tend to overlook other maintenance items.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    This is an interesting discussion, though one that raises the anxiety level for those of us who are new owners. Our 320 is only a year old and has been towed perhaps 3,000 miles. I assumed that a quick inspection and a few pumps of the appropriate grease would be all that was needed for the new season. Reading through the threads here however, it seems that much more extensive preventative maintenance is really what's required.
    The prevailing forum opinion, bolstered by the Dexter video, seems to be that annual maintenance for each wheel consists of the replacement of bearing seals and manual repacking of the bearings, along with a visual inspection of the brake components. The Zerk fitting does not appear to figure in the maintenance routine.
    Since we have some time before our first planned trip, I will take the conservative route and manually repack the bearings. I'd like to have new seals and other consumable items on hand before beginning but have not been able to determine the part numbers. The etrailer website offers an inexpensive complete hub bearing kit that includes the seals along with other components: BK2-100 Hub Bearing Kit for 3,500 lb Axles - Lippert, Dexter, and Al-Ko, #84 Spindle
    Is this the right kit for the 320S BD?
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    The Dexter EZ Lube setup has been used millions of times.  It is great that some owners have the time, the tools, the space, and the skills to do the magic hand repack.  I don't.  The important thing is to get the bearing serviced, and it can easily be done at thousands of trailer shops.  If it happens to be the EZLube service, that will work.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    There’s the recommended maintenance schedule then there’s real life. I have a 2017 320S, low travel mileage until this spring. I did lube my bearings twice over four years, both times not much was really needed. After four years I paid a mobile RV repair guy to come and do “the works.”  He was quick and efficient and usually worked on semi’s. Everything was in perfect and pristine condition. I was very specific to point out the plates for his jack, as anywhere else can crush the axle. I’m glad I did it! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 451
    I didn't see anyone post this link yet, and I just did my bearings, so wanted to post it here. There's a table of approved greases.

2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    And the included note;
    Note: The convenient lubrication provisions of the E‑Z Lube® and the oil lubrication must not replace periodic inspection of the bearings.

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Yes, 3,000 miles and one year in service, I would do an inspection and repack also.  Do not forget to,check the brakes also.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.