Options

EMS High Voltage

I’ve installed a built in Progressive Industries EMS. We’re at a COE campground with electric and the EMS is giving me a high voltage error. The manual says it trips the error above 132V. The EMS is toggling between 132 and 133 volts. Do you think it would be safe to bypass the EMS if I use surge protection at the post?
Stockton, New Jersey
2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited March 2022
    @AnOldUR, since there have not yet been any responses, I will chime in.  I have the hard-wired EMS-HW30, so I am interested in how to handle a similar situation should it occur to me in the future.  Is that the model you have installed in your trailer?  Did you just recently install it, or have you had it for some time and have never encountered this issue before?

I have been doing a quick-check online to see if there is anything specific in response to your question (as it relates to the EMS-HW30.)  So far, no luck.  If it were me, I wouldn't take the chance by bypassing the EMS, at least not without more definitive information.  You did not indicate what type of "surge protector" you have considered connecting at the campground pedestal.  That may be a work-around, but only if it is a good quality surge protector.

I'm just leery of taking a chance with the higher voltage since it could potentially cause damage to electrical components in your trailer.  Have you independently checked the campground outlet with a multimeter to confirm that the voltage is that high?  Also, if you have an outlet tester that you can plug into the outlet, check it with that to determine if it is properly wired.  You should do similar checks of a nearby outlet at another site to see what the result(s) are there (for comparison.)  I don't know if there is anyone at the campground that you can notify regarding the high voltage, but you will want to do that as well.

NOTE:  If you check the voltage at the outlet and it is below 132V, yet the EMS is still providing the high voltage error code, there is likely a problem with the EMS and you should contact Progressive Industries.  They will likely replace it (or specific parts) under warranty.  But first, IF you can move your trailer to another campsite (even if just temporarily) and connect to a different pedestal that is providing a proper level of voltage and you still get the high voltage error code, that should confirm that the EMS is defective and needs to be replaced.]

You may have already seen it, but I did find this in the instruction manual and on the manufacturer's website:

High/Low Voltage Protection:

Whenever A/C power falls below 104 volts, or rises above 132 volts, the EMS automatically shuts down power to the RV. The EMS will monitor the power and once the AC power rises above 104 volts, or below the 132 volt level, the time delay indicator flashes for the present time and then automatically restores power to the RV.

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,288
    edited March 2022
    @Bayliss I have the same EMS-HW30 as you. I installed it this winter. This is my first time out with it, but we’ve been 2-1/2 weeks on the road and this is the first time I’ve seen this error. The surge protector at the pedestal is from a small Progressive Industries kit that included a tester. The pedestal outlet checked fine for being wired correctly with that, but I don’t have a multimeter with me. I agree with being leery. That’s why I’m asking, but it’s been very consistent with the 132-133 volt reading so I’m hoping the one volt over the limit will not be a problem. 
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    edited March 2022
    @AnOldUR, thanks for the additional info.  I think the best way to determine if this is just a one-time fluke would be to move to a different site tomorrow (if possible) and plug in the trailer to see what happens with the EMS.  If you get the same error code, my guess is that some component in the EMS has failed, or is on the brink of failing.  Also, give Progressive Industries a call to see what they recommend.  Good luck!  Let us know if you learn anything new. 
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    First determine if the EMS is just reading high or if the source voltage is actually high. If it isn't actually high, then there is an adjustment pot on the EamS board. This required removing the cover and then adjusting the pot so the digital display shows the actual voltage as verified with a volt meter. If you aren't confident working around 120v then probably not something you should attempt. My unit came from the factory reading quite a bit higher than actual, so was worth the adjustment to avoid getting the high voltage error code.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    First determine if the EMS is just reading high or if the source voltage is actually high....
    We're a couple thousand miles from home (and my multi meter that I failed to bring), but when we get out today I'll pick up a cheap one to test when we return to the campsite. Although I'm pretty confident that the EMS is accurate since it was dead on before we left on this trip. Thanks for the heads up on being able to make an adjustment to the EMS if it's off.
    What I'd still like to know is if a voltage of 133 is enough to damage any of our T@B's systems?

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    edited March 2022
    IMO - 133vac is very high compared to the 115vac typical.  Likely damaging to 120vac appliances with motors or heating elements by causing higher than normal current draw.  Electronics may be more tolerant because the first stage is a power supply that creates regulated DC voltages for the circuitry.  The converter is that type of device.
    I would try to move to a different site...
    Have fun!
    Bob

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I tend to agree with Bob. I would ask for another site and check the power before yous etc up.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    @AnOldUR, did you get the high voltage issue resolved?

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Bayliss said:
    @AnOldUR, did you get the high voltage issue resolved?
    Disappointedly no. I forgot to pick up a meter when we were out yesterday. Running off battery for now to be safe. Try again later today if we go out, but soaking up the sun is taking priority. (me, not the trailer)

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    PixandMsBeePixandMsBee Member Posts: 34
    For those of you that have the progressive hard wired unit installed in your T@B, does it make a humming noise during normal operation?

2022 T@B 320-S Boondock Edition

2022 Outback Limited XT

SOK 100ah LiFeP04 Battery

• Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    For those of you that have the progressive hard wired unit installed in your T@B, does it make a humming noise during normal operation?
    Yes there is a hum from my hardwired PI surge protector, but it is pretty faint. I did however mount the unit with a thin (~5mm/1/4") closed-cell foam sheet underneath it because so many folks reported being bothered by the noise. Can't say for sure that the foam is the reason, but the hum is hardly audible and has not been an issue.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    PixandMsBeePixandMsBee Member Posts: 34
    CharlieRN said:
    Yes there is a hum from my hardwired PI surge protector, but it is pretty faint. I did however mount the unit with a thin (~5mm/1/4") closed-cell foam sheet underneath it because so many folks reported being bothered by the noise. Can't say for sure that the foam is the reason, but the hum is hardly audible and has not been an issue.
    Thanks for letting me know and I will follow your advice. It seems like some report that theirs hum while others say it does not!

2022 T@B 320-S Boondock Edition

2022 Outback Limited XT

SOK 100ah LiFeP04 Battery

• Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 488
    No noticeable hum from our EMS-HW30.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Hearing the hum is going to depend on your high end frequency hearing ability.  The older we get the less we hear high frequency sounds.  
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    subkronsubkron Member Posts: 149
    @Denny16 The hum is actually at the low end of frequency, specifically it is an audible 120Hz. It is caused by the AC drive of the coil and creates a varying magnetic field producing small mechanical movement of the armature of the relay contact.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
    South Jersey
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
     The older we get the less we hear …
    My wife will back you up on that. Except she’ll say it’s more about listening than hearing.  :smile:

Moved on from that campground. Now at Caprock Canyon in TX. Getting a steady 120V here. Appears that there was no damage from the short time at high voltage before I switched to battery power. Air conditioner works fine. Anything else that I should be checking for?
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 271
    Yes, I hear a hum from our Hughes Power Watchdog. Used to bug me but I’ve gotten used to it so it doesn’t really matter anymore. Never has bothered my wife.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 355
    Our installed 30amp Progressive EMS doesn't make any noise loud enough to hear. It is mounted on wood under the dinette seat against the shower. 320CS.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"