Options

New Alde Rhomar fluid color?

CanadianTabberCanadianTabber Member Posts: 131
edited May 2022 in Products and Accessories
Hi all!
Can someone please tell me what color the Alde Rhomar fluid?
The stuff in my Tab is a light blue color but an Tab rv dealer near me says their shipment they just got in is yellow.
What gives?

Brent
2021 Tab 320s Boondock-2016 Toyota Venza V6
Toronto, Canada

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    Ask them exactly what their "shipment" is.  The Century glycol, which was used in new trailers "pre- Dec 2020" was/is "greenish yellow". 
    The Rhomar is "apparently" blue. So...ask them exactly what the label on the "shipment" says.
    Dealers,  unless they are extremely up to date on the Alde glycol issue, may not be the best sources of information on the glycol.  Not necessarily their fault, since keeping up with all of it isn't easy.
    Here is a thread with a conversation about the Rhomar "color" on page 3. Teal? Light Blue?  Greenish Blue?

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Here is a sample of the fluid in my Tab, which according to NuCamp is Rhomar.
    Toronto, Canada
  • Options
    Ask them exactly what their "shipment" is.  The Century glycol, which was used in new trailers "pre- Dec 2020" was/is "greenish yellow". 
    The Rhomar is "apparently" blue. So...ask them exactly what the label on the "shipment" says.
    Dealers,  unless they are extremely up to date on the Alde glycol issue, may not be the best sources of information on the glycol.  Not necessarily their fault, since keeping up with all of it isn't easy.
    Here is a thread with a conversation about the Rhomar "color" on page 3. Teal? Light Blue?  Greenish Blue?

I agree, its maddening to keep up with all this stuff!...i pity the novice or anyone who is just not technically inclined!...thanks pthomas 745 for the quick reply and insight.

Brent 
    Toronto, Canada
  • Options
    This is how NuCamp is shipping the Alde Rhomar fluid...Rv dealer sent me this.
    Toronto, Canada
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    Looks like "blue" to me.  Like I said, it is easy to get this sort of thing confused.  Now we need to decode that bar code!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,277
    Even worse if you’re colorblind. Needed to top off during a road trip. I told the local dealer I needed the older (what I thought was) green glycol. He brings out what looked blue to me. I question it and say the one I want is more yellow/green and apologizes for being colorblind. He swore the new stuff was green. Sure looks blue to me.  :(
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited May 2022
    Is this the right (new) glycol? Color looks right from pic above just surprised it doesn't say Rhomar.  My friend is getting hers switched out today at the dealership and this is what they are putting in and (very long story) we do not trust that they know what they are doing.  First they said they were only doing a gravity drain and she is switching from Century to Rhomar!! My friend asked don't you have a special pump from NuCamp? They said yes, but we don't use it!, then told her that her 400 only needed two gallons of new glycol! They are switching her from the old Century yellow to the new Rhomar.  OMG! So much went wrong today I don't even have the energy to share it all, but I did already call NuCamp and spoke to Raphael and he was going to have Aaron from Warranty to call the dealership to inform them of their mistakes.  

• Options
    Yes, this is the new stuff that my dealer shipped me and 100% believe it is Rhomar.
    Your story highlights everything that seems to exist broadly in the RV industry. There is a shortage of technicians who actually have been trained in proper procedures.
    Hopefully NuCamp will start this training as i believe they are building a training center for RV techs in Ohio as we speak.
    Be well and let us know how it goes!
    Toronto, Canada
  • Options
    My poor friend went through hell today at Beckleys in Thurmont, MD.  If I hadn't been really knowledgeable on the glycol topic (thanks to this forum) then she would have gotten screwed! She would have had only a gravity drain and two gallons of Rhomar mixed with her old Century fluid. I'm not at all confident they even knew to run the glycol pump on high to get the air out of the lines.  She was about in tears by the time she left today at 2pm after arriving at 9am!
  • Options
    Thats aweful treatment!
    Toronto, Canada
  • Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    @TabbyShack, that does look like the Rhomar glycol.  In my rebuild I purchased 5 gal of the Rhomar directly from Truma/Alde and the bucket was labeled the same way.
    The instructions for Rhomar say very clearly that it "CANNOT be mixed with any other old glycol" so you did good to head off what might have been a disaster.

DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,002
    Dealer issues like this are why I'm doing it myself using @Dutch061's method.  It's really a simple procedure if you think about it.  Just push out the old with water using a pump and shop vac, then push out the water with rhomar.  I have the $12 pump, 5 gallons of rhomar at $26 a gallon, a few dollars of clear tubing and a few dollars of distilled water.  I've got all the stuff just waiting for some warm weather.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited May 2022
    Ok, saga continues. My friend just sent me a copy of her invoice and they only charged her for two gallons of Rhomar fluid on a supposed complete glycol flush and fill.  She had Century and switched to Rhomar so what do you think she should do? I'm thinking she now has a mixture of Century and Rhomar.  I'm thinking she now needs to pursue this through NuCamp and just go around Beckleys.  

Doesn't a complete flush and fill take at least four gallons?
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,002
    On a 400 it should take between 3-4 gallons.  I bought 5 just to make sure I have more than enough.  but should definitely take more than 2 gallons.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    Did the pump end up being used to remove the Century from the system? Was the water flush done to remove any remaining century? Was Hydrosolve run through the system to remove any remaining contaminates from the system before the system was refilled with Rhomar? This is my understanding of how the switch should be done. 
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Options
    GovernorGovernor Member Posts: 6
    bergger said:
    Dealer issues like this are why I'm doing it myself using @Dutch061's method.  It's really a simple procedure if you think about it.  Just push out the old with water using a pump and shop vac, then push out the water with rhomar.  I have the $12 pump, 5 gallons of rhomar at $26 a gallon, a few dollars of clear tubing and a few dollars of distilled water.  I've got all the stuff just waiting for some warm weather.  
    Direct link to Dutch’s process?  And is RHOMAR to be used on all systems? Production date of 400 was May 2020. 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Yes, the Rhomar is for all Alde systems, current and previous models.  The recommendation is to switch to Rhomar at yiur next scheduled glycol replacement service (every two years).  
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.