Switching to New Rhomar Glycol

Comments

• RCBRCB Member Posts: 190
    In reviewing the Rhomar specs ; I did not find an exact number for freeze protection but a range of -7.2 C to -50 C and mention of custom formulation. So anyone buying from a distributor should ask what the freeze protection is of their product. The NuCamp formulation is apparently -29 F.
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    RCB said:
    In reviewing the Rhomar specs ; I did not find an exact number for freeze protection but a range of -7.2 C to -50 C and mention of custom formulation. So anyone buying from a distributor should ask what the freeze protection is of their product. The NuCamp formulation is apparently -29 F.
    Any idea how the freeze protection can be customized?  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • BridgerSunsetBridgerSunset Member Posts: 80
    Here's what the labels on the 5 gallon jug says.. -28 F, with burst protection to -80F.

2021 T@B 400 Boondock  - Chev Silverado 3500HD 6.6L - Toyota 4Runner 4.0L
    SW Montana USA

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited April 2021
    Rinse water from second or third rinse is not going to contain any significant amounts of glycol, if any, especially if you use a low pressure air to blow out the system.   The glycol and first water rinse should be collected and properly disposed of at a recycle or hazmat collection center.  Not sure about the Hydro Solv solution recommended disposal.

I would just get several five gallon containers and lids from a paint store or home center.  Much easier to transport.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Denny16 said:

I would just get several five gallon containers and lids from a paint store or home center.  Much easier to transport.
    cheers
    Check your local Wal Mart paint department, ones here in FL sell the 5 gallon buckets (lids are separate).  Seems like there are more/closer Wal Marts than Lowes/Home Depots.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • tteamtteam Member Posts: 25
    The good to minus 28 F is not very comforting.  If I recall correctly, in 2019 the temperature was near -28 in Jan where I live, near Madison, WI.
    Tteam, Wisconsin
    2020 TAB 320S Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    @tteam, see @BridgerSunset's post above. If I understand correctly the "freeze point" is where ice crystals may form but the solution will remain slushy. The "burst point" is when things freeze solid and expand enough to cause damage to pipes and fittings, so that is what you really want to focus on.

Somebody correct me if I've got this wrong.

FWIW, my Century glycol only tests out to about -15F with a refractometer.

2015 T@B S
  • tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    Here is a .jpg of the Century TF-1 label. Haze point -34F, Cloud point -48F, Freeze solid -100F

Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
    Now that you mention it @tybladesmith, I noticed that, too. No idea why my refractometer gives such different results on the propylene glycol scale.
    2015 T@B S
  • tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    @ScottG, Have you compared testing fresh from the jug to what is in the expansion tank? Maybe dilution or aging or a Chinese refractometer? I have wondered about accuracy and repeatability with my meter.
    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
    edited December 2021
    @tybladesmith, yes. Look here.

Refractometer is a cheap one. However, I note that the glycol percentages it reports (45-50%) look to be in the expected range.
    2015 T@B S
  • TheySeeMeRollinTheySeeMeRollin Member Posts: 8
    Just got camper back from a dealer that I found on NuCamp's "find a dealer" page. I printed out the 2021 Glycol Change Service Bulletin dated Oct 26, 2021 and I left it on top of the Alde when I dropped the camper off for maintenance. I requested in the service order to "drain, flush with water, blow out with air, and replace existing glycol with RG-RTU-50 as described in the service bulletin." They kept the camper for a month. They charged me $450 to replace the glycol. The glycol is now GREEN! I know the old stuff was yellow. It is my understanding that the RG-RTU-50 is blue (I haven't seen it personally, but I have read online that it is blue.) If RG-RTU-50 is blue, this system was not serviced per the NuCamp service bulletin. If that is the case, I am going to do it myself. I am NOT taking it back to this dealer. Oh, yeah...They left the battery switch on, so my 3-month old VMax AGM battery was stone dead. Nice. Now I am wondering if the axle/bearing job, the propane system leak/pressure test, and the replacement of the SeeLevel sensors were performed to spec.
    2017 T@B 320S Central NC
    Though I have also not seen it personally, every one of several reports I have seen confirms that the Rohmer is blue.

I urge you to report this to nuCamp. If they wish to strengthen their dealer network, this is the sort of things they should be made aware of.

I also urge you to proceed with tackling this yourself. It requires some planning but it is not particularly difficult. However, keep in mind that when switching glycol it is imperative that you completely flush the system of the old glycol as they are not comparable. Once you have successfully switched brands, the regular maintenance of swapping out the old glycol with the same thing in comparatively easy.  
    2015 T@B S
    Here is the Safety Data Sheet for Rhogar RTU.  Page 3 indicates the appearance is "Clear, blue" and page 2 indicates "Prsto Brilliant Blue dye" in the ingredients.  I guess that is my answer.
    2017 T@B 320S Central NC
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    edited December 2021
    Just got camper back from a dealer that I found on NuCamp's "find a dealer" page. I printed out the 2021 Glycol Change Service Bulletin dated Oct 26, 2021 and I left it on top of the Alde when I dropped the camper off for maintenance. I requested in the service order to "drain, flush with water, blow out with air, and replace existing glycol with RG-RTU-50 as described in the service bulletin." They kept the camper for a month. They charged me $450 to replace the glycol. The glycol is now GREEN! I know the old stuff was yellow. It is my understanding that the RG-RTU-50 is blue (I haven't seen it personally, but I have read online that it is blue.) If RG-RTU-50 is blue, this system was not serviced per the NuCamp service bulletin. If that is the case, I am going to do it myself. I am NOT taking it back to this dealer. Oh, yeah...They left the battery switch on, so my 3-month old VMax AGM battery was stone dead. Nice. Now I am wondering if the axle/bearing job, the propane system leak/pressure test, and the replacement of the SeeLevel sensors were performed to spec.
    Sigh. Just discovered the same. Called dealer (which, BTW, is where I bought the trailer, and is one of the larger dealers in the country, so they should know better). Pointed out the very clear “Rhomar Water” on the receipt versus the distinctive yellowish Century TF in the reservoir. They acknowledged the error and will fix it…when they have Rhomar in stock again, which right now is maybe end of January. And yes, it makes me wonder about the rest of the work done.

Tech did say Rhomar is a greenish blue to his eyes (he actually said green, I replied blue, he said greenish blue at that point), so you may want to get a picture of your current fluid so we can compare. 

Would also be really helpful if anyone who got Rhomar from the factory could also get a pic so those of us trying to get this changeover done by the supposed professionals know what color to look for. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 361
    @VictoriaP, this is fresh from my 5 gallon bucket of Rhomar I purchased from Alde around 9 months ago.  I'll go with "bluish green"   =)   Keep in mind I had some ambient light coming in from a window just to the right but I also had incandescent light bulbs in the ceiling light too.  
    Bottoms up!

DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    My "new" glycol fluid purchased from NuCamp after the announced switch is the same color as the picture provided by fstop32 above.  More green than blue in my opinion.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
    edited December 2021
    @fstop32 and others who have made the switch to Rohmer, I vaguely recall reading something about a special Rohmer "flush" solution that was supposed to be used after the distilled water to ensure that all the old glycol was removed.

Does anyone have any more info on that? Did I just imagine it?
    2015 T@B S
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    ScottG - I just heard the same thing, second hand from a certified Alde service guy.  Will post the name when I receive it.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
    edited December 2021
    @ScottG, the one page description I have of how to use the Rhomar Hydro-Solv 9100 system cleaner said...
    1) flush the system with water until the water appears clean,
    2) add Hydro-Solv 9100 cleaner through the system: for existing Aluminum Boilers the cleaning time should be limited to 8 hours (I would assume that would apply if you are using the pump at the boiler to circulate the cleaner fluid throughout the system for an extended period of time)
    3) flush the system with water until the fluid pH is 8.0 or below (or it matches the pH of the water you are using to flush the system).
    EDIT:  The cleaner is designed to clean "accumulations of scale, corrosion, organic material, flux residue, cutting oils, dirt and biological contamination".  It's followed by a good flush, see #3.
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    fstop32 said:
    @VictoriaP, this is fresh from my 5 gallon bucket of Rhomar I purchased from Alde around 9 months ago.  I'll go with "bluish green"   =)   Keep in mind I had some ambient light coming in from a window just to the right but I also had incandescent light bulbs in the ceiling light too.  
    Bottoms up!

PERFECT! Lovely color. Especially in the wine glass. 😁

Seriously, though, thank you. This makes it very obvious that mine is definitely Century (not that I wasn’t certain already) and now I know to look for a specific bluish green/greenish blue (dare I call it teal? LOL) shade when the dealer finally does the swap they were supposed to do back in November.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    edited December 2021
    Hydro-Solv is apparently...lye.  And caustic, etc. The material Safety Data Sheet.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    @VictoriaP, the wine glass was the closest thing to hand that was clear (sounds like something a man would do, right?)  =)    Obviously my wife was at work so I was totally safe using it...unless she gets on the forum  :open_mouth:
    Teal works, sort of a "translucent teal" color!
  • jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    I think Rhomar sells nucamp the Rhogard in a color different from the a Rhomar standard blue. I can't remember if the Rhomar Rep told me that. 
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    edited December 2021
    Our 2021 400 shipped with Rhomar Blue and the dealer sold me a gallon of Rhomar from his supply in "nuCamp Green".

2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
    Nice pics--and they clear up some of the confusion regarding color. I was unaware that the nuCamp Rohmer was different from the regular Rohmer, but it sure looks like that is the case.

FWIW, Century did something similar. There was a red version of TF-1 in addition to the greenish yellow TF-1 used in T@Bs. Specs were identical as far as I could tell. I never saw the red stuff available for purchase anywhere, so I wonder if it was a color created for a particular manufacturer.

In either case, the Rohmer is pretty obviously different from the Century. It shouldn't be too hard to confirm if a dealer has performed service as requested.
    2015 T@B S
    This is what mine looks like in direct sunlight against a white sheet of paper.  So it looks very much like what @fstop32 & @rhyno posted.  Thanks for posting the pictures!  I feel relieved, now.  I'll let you know what NuCamp says about it when they reply to my email.

2017 T@B 320S Central NC
    Well, that was fast!

2017 T@B 320S Central NC
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Thanks for sharing your colorful photo, @TheySeeMeRollin.  Nicely captured!  It definitely appears to be a bluish shade of green.
    Hey, maybe NuCamp could use clear tubing and offer designer colors..  =)

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    Add yet another layer of confusion on the glycol issue. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi