Seals Maintenance

Leb
Leb Member Posts: 22
Hello:

Would someone kindly take me through the entire process of checking ALL seals and other maintenance checks (but mostly seals) please?  Pictures are great, especially with arrows, boxes, etc., highlighting the areas to be checked.  There are drips on the ground at the back of the trailer by the brake lights (plus it rained last night).  Also, how do I post pictures to show problems please?  2018 320s

Many, many thanks.

Comments

  • Sharon_is_SAM
    Sharon_is_SAM Member Posts: 10,035
      Insert a Photo or Image 

    1. Place your cursor in the comment area where you wish to place a photo.
     2. Next, open the "Photo" icon located in the tool bar above the comment box.
     3. Locate your photo by "Choose Files", then select the photo you wish to attach.
     4. It will load within the comment area, then Save draft before posting
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Leb
    Leb Member Posts: 22
    Thank you, Sharon.
  • Leb
    Leb Member Posts: 22

  • Leb
    Leb Member Posts: 22

    Could the clear bubbles be glycol?  
    Also, the picture below shows how much water leaked from the rear of the trailer early this morning after the rains but when the sky is quite clear.  Any help is appreciated.

  • Leb
    Leb Member Posts: 22
    edited May 2022

  • Leb
    Leb Member Posts: 22
    edited May 2022
  • Leb
    Leb Member Posts: 22

    The pictures uploaded upside down!  My apologies. 
  • Sharon_is_SAM
    Sharon_is_SAM Member Posts: 10,035
    Fixed your photos.
    I can’t think of anything mechanical that would leak from behind the passenger side wheel except the Alde convectors.  Check under the bed/bench inside.

    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Leb
    Leb Member Posts: 22
    Thank you!  I cannot find any cracks or leaks on the bench side.  ???
  • Leb
    Leb Member Posts: 22
    How much does it cost to have all of the seals inventoried and checked?
  • Sharon_is_SAM
    Sharon_is_SAM Member Posts: 10,035
    I think you need to first identify what exactly is leaking.  Did you see the fluid drain from the rear of the trailer?
    If I remember, there is a molded plastic, trim on the rear that can collect water.  How about a picture of the rear?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Bayliss
    Bayliss Member Posts: 1,532
    edited May 2022
    @Leb, it is not clear if you looked under the bench seat as suggested by @Sharon_is_SAM. Take a look at the below discussion. That is the area I believe she is referring to, because it is a common source of leaks, usually from inadequate or deteriorated caulking in the area of the rear lights (behind the plastic shroud/cover.)  If you had a lot of rain, it may just be residual water rolling down (or built up inside) the back of the trailer behind the plastic shrouds/covers at the rear of the trailer, which isn't necessarily a problem.  BUT, if you see signs of water damage inside the trailer on the wood at the rear sloped area under the bench seat, then that is a concern that needs to be addressed with proper caulking.

    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/14526/floor-repair-due-to-rear-leak-in-2018-320s#latest

    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8446/leak

    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite ~ 2025 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4x4
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

  • Sharon_is_SAM
    Sharon_is_SAM Member Posts: 10,035
    @Bayliss - there was someone with a 320S that had a collection of water behind the rear plastic shroud.  I can’t find the thread.  It had a nice picture of the rear of the TaB.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Bayliss
    Bayliss Member Posts: 1,532
    @Sharon_is_SAM, I think this is the discussion you are referring to.  Thanks for reminding me about it.  @Leb, you will want to review it as well, because it was what I was referring to as another possibility.

    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/7120/2018-t-b320s-water-dripping-from-under-rear-trim-and-undercarriage-water-barrier#latest

    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite ~ 2025 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4x4
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

  • tybladesmith
    tybladesmith Member Posts: 180
    I found water dripping from the back of my 2018 T@B 320BD after a rain. I found water pooled behind the rear trim "bumper" molding. I removed them and drilled drain holes and the "problem" went away.


    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • Leb
    Leb Member Posts: 22
    Thank you all for your insights!  I will explore the problem more thoroughly.  On the topic of caulking, has anyone compiled a list of non-toxic but really great caulking that repels water? 

  • Horigan
    Horigan Member Posts: 909
    I suggest marine polyurethane sealant, like 3M 4200.  3M 5200 would work, but it's considered permanent.  I wouldn't use anything with silicone since you can't apply anything over it in the future, like when resealing a couple of years from now.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2025 Toyota Highlander 2.4L Turbo
    Bellingham WA
  • Leb
    Leb Member Posts: 22
    Rich, a newbie question (and thank you for responding):  For future resealing, will applying a permanent sealant be a problem? or will a less permanent sealant be a better solution?

  • Denny16
    Denny16 Member Posts: 5,430
    edited May 2022
    A permanent sealing like 3200, which is designed as a bonding marine sealant, becomes an issue if you need to disassemble it for repairs in the future.  There are nüCamp recommended RV sealants you can get, which is compatible with factory sealant.  That said, 3M 4200 whould work just fine, and with some effort can be undone.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Bayliss
    Bayliss Member Posts: 1,532
    @Leb, also take a look at this:

    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6393/

    As @Horigan has suggested, always use a urethane or polyurethane based caulk/sealant and NOT silicone on the exterior of the camper.  nüCamp uses Geocel 2300 MHRV, a marine type urethane or polyurethane based caulk/sealant, but I am not sure what they use under the wheel wells, but maybe it is the same, only in a black color.   A similar product, which may be more readily available through most RV stores (e.g., Camping World) is Geocel ProFlex RV Sealant.  I believe you can get it in different colors (e.g., white, black, clear.  My notes indicate that the "clear" version product number is GC28800, but double-check that if you are looking for a clear sealant.

    If you search this forum (using the search box at the top of each page) for "sealant,"  "caulking," "seal maintenance," or similar words, you will likely likely find plenty of discussions on this topic. 

    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite ~ 2025 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4x4
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

  • Leb
    Leb Member Posts: 22
    Thank you all...I'm taking your suggestions to the bank.
  • Horigan
    Horigan Member Posts: 909
    You would think that if NuCamp went to the effort to create the seal inspection instructions on how to reseal the trailer, it would include the recommended sealant(s).  It was surprising how much searching was required to get to these recommendations.  I went down this rabbit hole last week.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2025 Toyota Highlander 2.4L Turbo
    Bellingham WA