Options

No hot water

We are camping this weekend and cannot get the Alde to heat our water. We have sure power so we have chosen both electric and propane but the water will not heat. Does the temperature setting need to be warmer than the actual air temperature in the camper? Currently it is 81 degrees inside. Do we need to push the Alde up past that? I think it only goes up to 86 if I am not mistaken.
2022 T@B 320 CS-S Boondock
2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
SW Ohio

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    No cabin temp setting does not control hot water.  You need to set the water/shower symbol on the control panel to 1/2 shaded (on) to get hot water.  Full gray arrow boots hot water Flo system to get more continuous hot water for a shower.  The max setting re-sets to 1/2 setting after 30 min.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Check your glycol reservoir too as that will impact your ability to heat and get hot water.  With the Alde on, hit the gear icon and toggle down about 4 screens until you see the “Service” screen.  That will give you real time info as to what the Alde is doing.  That will tell you the glycol and water temperature.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    BucksterBuckster Member Posts: 62
    Here is a pic of that particular screen. I’m not sure what it means (we’re newbies to the Alde system).

2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
    SW Ohio
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited May 2022
    @Buckster, take a look at this video.  It should help provide the basics.  There are other similar videos on YouTube.  I haven't watched this one recently, but a quick look indicates it probably covers what you need to get a general understanding of the display panel operation.  The screenshot below says "Alde 3010," but it is the same/similar for the "3020," although the 3020 has the "gear" icon as referenced by @Michigan_Mike, whereas on the video it is a "wrench" icon.  (Actually, I did not realize the 3010 ever had a digital display, so I learned something new.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HwuMlV6w1k&list=PLfZJCAV6SX_idezI1n3iUfRjjAJhW9pcS&index=4

Here's another video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LzqMLF1lZk
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,705
    The other reasons for not getting hot water: The bypass valve needs to be checked.  Have you adjusted your mixing valve?
    This thread has a summary of the valves and drains in your trailer, and a picture of the Nautilus panel.  You can see the big red bypass handle in the "Normal mode", which is where it needs to be to get water into the Alde tank to heat it.
    The other item is the "mixing valve".  If you don't have this type of valve, there will be different instructions.  The Factory usually has the mixing valve set pretty low to prevent scalding, etc.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 224
    Our Jan 2021 320s Alde also will not heat water (shower symbol on menu) in either electric or propane modes unless the cabin heat thermostat is set well above cabin temp. 
    So hot water in summer requires  heat.

Discussed  last fall with Nucamp and with Alde, no resolution.   Alde suggested we try replacing controller on this new camper at our own expense.  

How many  others have this issue?  We need to document if there's a systemic programming issue on a run of Aldes.  
    Ours was manufactured Dec 2020 per nameplate.

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

• Options
    Maxcamp are you sure your Bypass valve, Red handle on left side of Nautilus panel area is set correctly?
     Cheers 
  • Options
    I finally am having a chance to follow-up with trying to troubleshoot my lack of hot water.  My bypass valve is set correctly (in the normal position). I have tried adjusting my mixing valve, but it is backed out as far as it will go. I used a socket, not the red cap, and I cannot back it out any more. 

When I turned on the Alde the water temp was 79 degrees (glycol 95 degrees) and after about 20 minutes, it went up to 129 degrees (glycol 160 degrees).  The water at the sink is certainly warm but not as hot our inside tap water in the house. Would this be considered normal?

One other question, I took the panel off above the toilet to check the glycol level in the reservoir. It appears to be about half full.  I haven't found a full line on the reservoir, so how do I know if it is full?  Thanks everyone!

2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
    SW Ohio
  • Options
    Half full on the glycol reservoir is about correct.  There are two lines embossed on the tank, above and be.ow mid way point, showing max and minimum levels. Shine a flashlight at an angle from t(e top and you can see the lines better.

The TaB is not going to give you water any hotter than 130-140F.  The water tank is always going to be cooler than the glycol temp, and you loose some heat on the water pipe run from the heater to the galley sink.  I find 120-130F water is hot enough for washing up whilst camping.  If you want hotter water for a rinse, heat some water In a kettle on the stove.  That is what I do.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,927
    @Buckster what @Denny16 suggested works to find the glycol minimum and maximum fill lines. Have a sharpie or other permanent marker handy while finding the lines and trace over the raised lines. Then you will have an easily visible set of min max guides and you can instantly check without the flaslight or feeling for the raised areas.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Thanks @Denny16 - I'm glad the system is working properly. I guess I am used to the hot water heater on our previous camper. It could be run on electric or propane and it would really heat the water.  You're right, 130 degree water will suffice while camping.
    2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
    SW Ohio
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,530
    @Buckster - check the Alde pump circulation.  Make sure it is set to “Therm”.  If set to “Continuous”, it can impact the water temperature.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @Buckster - Not sure what your power source is, but if on shorepower, use the full setting (2kw).  This should get the water temperature to about 130 F.  Then go ahead and turn up the ‘shower” icon on the control panel all the way up (fill the triangle). In the manual, they call this “extra hot water”.  We call it “boosting” the water temperature.  It will heat the water extra hot to about 150 F for 30 minutes.  Be aware that starting with very cold water or very cold ambient temperatures will require a longer time to heat the water.  Please let us know if this helps.

Lastly, some valves may actually be backwards and require the opposite adjustment to increase the temp or the valve may simply be defective.  Try the above suggestions first. 
  • Options
    @Buckster - check the Alde pump circulation.  Make sure it is set to “Therm”.  If set to “Continuous”, it can impact the water temperature.
    Thanks for the tips. Would I check the pump circulation on the Alde control panel?
    2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
    SW Ohio
  • Options
    @Buckster - Tap on the “gear” icon on the Alde Control panel screen in the right lower corner.  That takes you to “Settings”.  Scroll down to the circulation pump (circle symbol with 2 arrows).  Tap on it and you will have 2 choices noted here:

17. Circulation pump
    Pump settings: (Mode)
    Cont.: The pump is inconstant operation.
    Therm: The pump is controlled by the room sensor. This is the normal mode for heat and hot water.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Yes, but the heat circulation pump does not control the hot water heating, only the cabin heat.  I agree Sharon, the pump should be set to thermostat mode.  Good tip on using the shower boost mode to get more hot water.  Not having the Flo, didn’t know boost/shower mode increases the water temp too, thought it just turned off the circulation pump to keep all the heat going to the hot water tank, thanks.
    Cheers
  • Options
    @Denny16 - it should be set to Therm.  (Continuous is used to heat a floor.)  The boost increases the water temperature by concentrating heat to the glycol in the heating tank when the pump stops circulating the glycol.  If the glycol is stationary, no cooled glycol is returning from the glycol runs which would otherwise reduce the temperature in the chamber.  

The Alde manual as translated from Swedish still leaves room for improvement!  They do indicate that if the pump is circulating (set at Continuous or Therm), it will stop for 30 minutes when “extra hot water” is called for, but it appears that the Continuous mode is only used for floor heating and not when water heating is required.  Anyway, they never say that the “extra hot water” mode only applies when you are heating both water AND the cabin.  Somewhere along the way here on the forum, we decided that additional heating occurred even during the summer when we are not heating the cabin.  So, go fire up your Alde, turn down the thermostat below ambient.  Check the Settings water temp after 20 min., then select “extra hot water” and after another 20 minutes, check the temp. again.  I don’t have water in the TaB or I would do this myself.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Thanks Sharon, my bad, I meant thermostat mode, not continuous circulation, thanks for the correction.  I know the glycol will stay hot longer with out cool glycol,being circulated back into the boiler, but doesn’t the Alde glycol max temp setting remain the same.  I follow the heated glycol staying in the boiler will transfer more heat to the water, but the water still will be cooler than the glycol temp, due to the loss during thermal transfer?  I will,do,the test you recommended, was thinking of doing that anyway as part of my preseason system checks.  

Not sure, but on the newer TaB 400s with the Flo auxiliary hot water tank, the Shower Boost mode, not only stops the heat circulation, but starts the continuous glycol circulation between the main boiler and the Flo tank to preheat the water before it goes to the main boiler, and thus gives almost continuous hot water for longer showers.  Whilst I have an Alde 3020, I didn’t get the Flow aux hot water tank setup.  :/

I hope you had a good time at UCamp.  Thanks again.
    Cheers 
  • Options
    So, I think the maximum water temperature within the Alde tank is reached either via boost (when heating the cabin and water) or automatically when just heating water.  Since no circulation of glycol occurs with just water heating, it should be the same temp as the boost mode.  Check it out Denny!  Turn down the thermostat, put the Alde on 2 kw and see what temperature is reached before and after boost.

uCamp was fun as usual.  They really go all out for their attendees.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Thanks Sharon, that was my take on this.  I will do the tests and find out, what my  non Flo Alde 3020 does whilst heating water in both situations.
     Cheers