Options

Summer sanitizing/water management

Our municipal water supply grows algae quickly.  When camper is not in use I have pumped in/pumped through a dilute bleach solution.  Considering algaecide as well.  (We drink only from a jug, not from camper tank.)

Curious what veterans experience with summer storage has been.  Drain it all dry?  Leave with water in system?  Sanitize?

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

Comments

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,024
    I sanitize at the beginning of the season and drain the system after each trip. We also do not drink from our tank though we don’t have any algae growth in our water that I’m aware of. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    Always drain between trips. If you don’t, you’ll end up with a nasty, sulfurous smell in your tank and pipes that can take multiple bleach rinses to eliminate.

I personally sanitize at the beginning of the camping season and that’s it unless I forget to drain (which after the first time you discover that smell, you won’t forget again!) And I do drink from the system…after the water has been purified by an Epic Water Nano filter pitcher, which eliminates not only contaminants, but bacteria and viruses.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,927
    We sanitize at the beginning of each season. We open the fresh water tank drain on the final leg of our trip home. The bouncing, bumping and different grades and angles of the road as we travel assure that almost every drop of water is emptied from the tank. We fill again fresh at the beginning of each new trip. We do not drink from the t@b's tank, always carrying our drinking water supply.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,696
    My trailer is my emergency "lifeboat" in the case of a Socal earthquake.  I keep water in it, and if I haven't camped in a month or so, I'll drain some water out, use it on whatever plants I have, put some more water in.  Most municipal water supplies (like mine) are chlorinated, so I don't consider this much of a "risk" at all.  If you are on a well or a water supply not chlorinated, this, of course, is a different story. 
    I do sanitize at least twice a year.
    This thread has a comment from "Ratkity", our Tab Phd Resident Immunologist.  Her comments in the sanitizing threads have tons of good info on what specifically we are really doing when sanitizing.
    And, another.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 213
    Good info, thanks folks.  Confirms i'm not overdoing it.

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    A little common sense goes a long way, when it come to cleaning things we eat or drink out of.  The TaB’s water tank is not any different, and a little bleach, vinegar or water sanitizer once or twice a year, when using the TaB does the trick.  
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.