Options

Bacteria contamination in the water system.

Stagnant drinking water has serious health implications.
Draining the water system, both the fresh water tank and the hot water tank, at the end of each trip is desirable from the point of view of water purity and safety. Bacteria growth is ongoing in stagnant water, with possible serious consequences such as Legionnaires' disease. Although draining the system between trips certainly will help, periodic disinfection is recommended:
"To safeguard the quality of tank water and prevent the possibility of Legionella infections, RV owners should implement regular chlorine disinfection of their water tanks…"
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/criid/2013/286347/

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    edited November 2017
    Good read and reminder.  I assume the Alde heats the water enough to kill bacteria, but the cold water lines and tank can still be a source.  I wonder if we should chlorinate the tank before long term storage in addition to first season use?  Is anybody sanitizing more than once a season?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    JimEngelJimEngel Member Posts: 45

I had the impression that the hot water system was a big contributing factor. The hot water delivered to the faucets is mixed and thus unlikely to be bacteria free.
    I am not sure about the hot water in the Alde tank, I recall that some bacteria is resilient and I think the Alde water is less than a hard boil.
    My guess is that if you do only a yearly chlorination than it would be at the beginning of the season.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Legionella is a bacteria that likes temps of just below what your hot water heater is set at in the factory. People get sick from the aerosol when the water is running from a faucet or from the mechanics of a building water cooler air conditioner.

Stagnant water is usually because of algae. Rarely do you get black water microbes (coliforms) in your fresh water tank. Those are the nasties you get when you don't wash your hands in the bathroom. It's rare to get those unless you have filled your tank with a contaminated water sources (I went to one campground that had water spigots shut off because of that).

I empty the water tank when I'm done for the weekend. When I am ready for another trip. I fill it up a little, let the faucets run a bit to get the old water out. Drain that water and fill 'er up for the trip. That's it. Remember to empty the gray tank after flushing fresh water so you start the trip with an empty one. 

I don't drink from the fresh water tank. Never have. It's a matter of preference. Being a microbiologist hasn't changed my preference for not drinking out of the fresh water tank. I save the water for flushing, dish washing and showering. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Glad you chimed in Ratkitty.  So no kill off from the Alde heat.  
  • Options

Mr. Ratkity, do you advocate chlorine water treatment? If so, what schedule and protocol?

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @JimEngel.....ah, that’s “Ms Ratkity”......
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    When set to "hot water only" the Alde heats to about 150F--plenty hot to make you squeal, but (I think) a little shy of what is typically prescribed for sanitizing purposes. When set to "heat and hot water" the Alde temp is even lower--somewhere in the 130-135F range.

I don't regularly drain my hot water tank, but I don't drink from it either. Incidentally, bleach is contraindicated for use in the Alde, as there is some concern it will damage the stainless steel liner.

I sanitize the fresh water tank and lines with bleach at the beginning of each season, and drain the tank fully after each trip. I do drink from the FW tank, figuring any cooties therein will stimulate and strengthen my immune system.  ;-)

We've heard from our resident microbiologist. Any immunologists out there want to weigh in on my theory?  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @SAM, in food service settings there's aerobic and anaerobic bacteria. If I remember correctly, anaerobic isn't bothered by extreme heat or freezing. Another little tidbit is that you can receive food poisoning and not show symptoms for up to two weeks, depending on the particular type and strain. Think back to where all food you have eaten these past two weeks has come from. Unless you handle and cook all your food yourself at home, you really can't be 100% sure part of the time where you picked up "that" bug. Scary stuff, eh. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Homebodyatheart, I am a little hung up on the fact that the Alde does not generate high enough temperatures to kill bugs, may in fact be a prime medium and then you can’t sanitize it
  • Options
    DOCTOR Ratkity, ten thousand apologies, so many subtleties these days.
    First a quick question, does the fact that we are on well water make any realistic difference?
    In the bigger picture we have periodic slightly disturbing pronouncements, such as "RV owners should implement regular chlorine disinfection" from apparently serious scientific professionals which sound a little bit like the sky is falling, yet we hesitate to just dismiss them.
    Your statement of just drain it and let it air out makes perfect common sense; after all, if three extra bacteria were going to be fatal we would not have to worry about over population.
    But there are after all apparently innocuous practices, such as burning treated lumber in your fire place, that can indeed have very serious consequences, and it is sometimes difficult to sort it all out. 
    Thanks for the clarification.
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    Wouldn't winterizing with alcohol or glycol based RV antifreeze have a sterilizing effect??

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    Why @ScottG! How did you know my concentration was in immunology? 
    Two for the price of one. Whooda' thunk?!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    rfuss928 said:
    Wouldn't winterizing with alcohol or glycol based RV antifreeze have a sterilizing effect??
    You don't want to winterize with alcohol because it dries out seals, but that STILL doesn't kill all bacteria, especially the ones that sporulate - 10% bleach is still the go-to solution. Glycol is a type of "sugar" and some bacteria can live off of it. The cold combined with glycol make it safe to use as a winterizing agent. The majority of bacteria don't do well in variable cold temps (the up and down of temps). I'm being very general here. There are always exceptions to the rule. 

If you are immunocompromised (like my little sis), drink bottled water. Brush your teeth using bottled water. Be safe and I know those people have long lists of do's and don't's. The Alde heats up the water very high and would kill off most bacteria. Like I said in the above post, getting sewage bacteria in your fresh water tank is rare. Many people soften and chlorinate well water. Those who use well water have it tested. When in doubt and have no bottled water, boil water for 20 minutes before drinking. There are also chlorinating tablets. 

Parks routinely test their water sources. The majority of cities test theirs too (let's not get into MI's issues).

Relax. Drink your favorite drink (some folks' drinks wouldn't allow any bacteria to grow!). Enjoy your camping experience!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)