Options

Hooking up a solar suitcase to the Tab 400

We just got ourTab and my husband does not know how to hook up our solar suitcase to our Tab 400 Boondocks for additional energy.

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Do you have a SAE plug on the driver’s side of the TaB, next to the Nautilus water control access door?  If so, just plug the solar suitcase in and Bob’s your uncle... 
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    subkronsubkron Member Posts: 149
    For my 2022 400 BD the connector is on the  drivers side exterior panel, below the shore power connection. The top conductor pin goes to the positive output of your suitcase and the lower conductor pin goes to the negative of your suitcase.  The suitcase will need to have a controller as part of it.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
    South Jersey
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,011
    @TimandLaurie what year is your 400?  They started including an sae plug in 2021.  My 2021 has it located on the passenger side next to the storage compartment.  They then moved them over to the driver side near the 30 amp plug as mentioned in the previous posts.  And I do believe that the later 2022 400's no longer have the sae plug.  If yours does not have one it is an easy install as it simply connects directly to the batteries.  Not sure where you primarily camp but out west in CO, WY, MT, UT I have never had the need to plug in my solar suitcase.  The rooftop solar does very well.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Our 2018 had a factory installed SAE plug on the Pax side next to the rear storage compartment.  This was a perfect place on the 2018/2019 TaB400s, as the battery was right behind this location.  I do not know why nüCamp moved the SAE to the back (driver’s side) on later models.  Not a very convenient location, me thinks.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,011
    I did not realize they had a plug as a standard feature on the early models.   Good to know.  I also like the placement of my plug as it makes access to the wiring much easier if I ever need to change or fix it.  That is the location I would also recommend for anyone who is doing their own install.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    The SAE plug wasn’t standard, nor was solar panels on the roof, but both were options that could be factory installed at the time the trailer was built.  Ours was added as an upgrade feature, as was the washroom sink being eliminated.  

Unfortunately, nüCamp no longer does custom changes during factory build, but has upgraded the TaBs to include many of the previous options as standard features, like the Solar roof panels being included on all Boondock builds.  
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,682
    My 2017 has an installed SAE port, too.
    @TimandLaurie, welcome to the Forums.
    It would really help in this case to know what cable (s) you are trying to connect to the "SAE" port on the trailer. 
    What brand of panels do you have?  Are you trying to use an SAE connector at the plug? The connectors and cables and ports can get confusing.
    Pictures will help, also.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,205
    It’s interesting why they started omitting the SAE plug in 2022 builds. Seems like every builder is including them as standard lately. Even our cheap little popup camper had one. Luckily it’s not too hard to install your own. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    TimandLaurieTimandLaurie Member Posts: 20
    We want to go from SAE to MC4 at the zamp solar plug and mount the plug through the wall and attach wires at the existing solar controller battery terminal.
  • Options
    I forgot the solar suitcase is by Renology.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    Renogy
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    You can buy an adapter to go from the MC4 to a SAE.  Do a search for Renogy, RNG-CNCT-MC4-SAE cable adapter.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    I just got the 100 W Renogy suitcase and I have a dealer installed SAE connection to my AGM batteries on the side of my 400. The suitcase has the MC4 connectors shown above. If your battery SAE is wired like mine you will need the Renogy or similar MC4 to SAE adapter (pricey) as @Denny16 mentioned

Now you need to ensure you know the polarity + and - of the contacts on the SAE leads. The suitcase/controller is marked so you can follow that. You will have to test the connector on your trailer or set it up if installing new so it matches.

Mine did not match so I got the polarity reverser below and it works just fine now plug and play. My suitcase has a safety on it that the MC4 leads have no voltage until they are connected to a load so you have to go by the markings on the controller that comes with the suitcase. And make sure the controller you have is set up for the battery type you have (flooded vs AGM etc) so it charges to the correct voltage. Good luck.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help. We picked up our Tab 400 last week and are taking it out for 2 days this week at a local state park. We moved up from a tent to our 13 foot Scamp for 6 years which we called The Hilton. We are calling our Tab 400 a condo!
  • Options
    I used a lower cost (not Renogy) MC4 to SAE adapter that included 2 additional plug reversers plus was 10AWG:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09H6Q15SJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1.
    Quality is good and it worked fine.

2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    South Jersey
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    The this adapter, is its AWG 10 wire, and should work.  The Renogy suitcase MC4 cable and the TaB’s SAE are all wired with AWG 12 (per Sharon is Sam in post below).  You want to keep everything the same wire gauge, or larger — so this less expensive adapter should work.  That said,  I personally would get the Renogy adapter, but that is just me keeping everything the same.  Out TaB400 factory installed SAE port has AWG8 wire harness to the battery, so I won’t with AWG8 MC4-SAE adapter, bigger wire is better for moving current.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    The Renogy adapter is 12 AWG. The Renogy solar suitcase individual wires are 12 AWG with a loom that makes it appear larger.  I believe the solar SAE ports on our TaBs from the factory are also 12 10 AWG.  (Confirmed 10 gauge according to https://www.zampsolar.com/products/side-wall-port). NuCamp continued to use the Zamp solar port.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    OK Sharon, thanks my bad 😞.  I edited my previous post to correct the info.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Or, just skip the MC4 to SAE adapter and the Adapter for the Adapter....and use an SAE pigtail, properly wired from the controller to the SAE port.  This is an entire SAE cable.  I cut the right side connector off, and trimmed the insulation about a half inch so it connected to the Solar Controller.  Follow the red wire from the right side to the left: it properly terminates inside the black plastic of the end of the cable that will plug into the trailer. No adapters needed.  And, except for the price of the SAE cable, it looks like you save about 30 dollars in un-needed adapters and cables.  All the adapters and cables, etc, do work, of course.

I've gotten much better at my connections at the controller: instead of wrestling with cramming the wires into the tiny holes in the controller, I discovered wire ferrules and crimped them to the end of the cable.  Much better connection, easy to deal with.  Not sure what Renogy is using for connections at the controllers, however. They used to have screw terminals.

No matter what you use: the important thing is to get the polarity correct at the plug.  Don't trust the symbols on the cables, the colors of the cables...etc.  Trust the multimeter.

2017 Outback
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    edited June 2022
    I got this kit and changed the MC4 connectors on the SAE adapter to match the proper polarity. Now I can use any extension and don't have to worry about using a SAE +/- adapter in line also. https://amzn.to/3NhtzZO
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    Bobby4Bobby4 Member Posts: 8
    Brand new tab 400 owner, and just started on the steep learning curve.  So if I understand correctly, I can buy this https://ca.renogy.com/renogy-100-watt-12-volt-monocrystalline-foldable-solar-suitcase-w-voyager-waterproof-controller/ which I believe is similar to the OP’s, and just plug it in?

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 618
    @Bobby4
    No.  In order to use that port, which is connected directly to the battery, you would need a portable solar panel with an integrated controller, like a Zamp suitcase panel.  While bundled together, the Renogy panel you listed has a separate controller.  The wires from the panel need to be wired to the controller, and then separate wires from the controller connect to the battery.  Solar panels without controllers put out up to 20V.  You can't connect them directly to a battery.  
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    @Horigan - the Renogy panel that Bobby4 linked has an integrated controller.  He needs extensions, an MC4 to SAE adapter, and the Tecmate cable to be plug and play.  

• Options
    So I understand the integrated controller, and the adapter - sorry for dumb questions, but what are the extensions and tecmate cable for?  Also, can this be run at the same time as the built in solar panel?
  • Options
    The solar port is the reason for about 100 million internet comments, so don't feel bad about being a little lost.  We all were at first. Up in the thread there are comments about the proper wiring needed when you finally get all the parts together.  The last step to the trailer is important.  The "positive" wire from the solar controller must be "inside the black plastic part" of the "SAE" cable.  This prevents you from walking around with a hot exposed wire in your hand that might spark and short out things.  The "tecmate" is an adapter that makes sure the wiring going into the trailer is correct.  You can also find the same sort of adapters for about a dollar each.  There are many different "MC4 to SAE" adapters.  The qhumberd post above shows you the two parts you would need with your Renogy suitcase. There are lots of these on Amazon.  Note the small "reverse polarity adapters" included with each cable.  They do the same thing as the 13 dollar Tecmate.  Ask questions.  It is easier than it looks, but baffling at first.
    I have several of the iGreely cables, and they are well made.

PS: A separate suitcase, with its own controller, will work in tandem with your built in solar setup.  Another tool that will make your solar experience much easier here is an inexpensive multimeter.  Easy to use, will solve many problems and answer questions.

2017 Outback
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 618
    @Horigan - the Renogy panel that Bobby4 linked has an integrated controller.  He needs extensions, an MC4 to SAE adapter, and the Tecmate cable to be plug and play.  

Thanks.  It wasn't clear in the manual that you mount the controller on the panel.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    It comes pre-mounted and wired - like a Zamp.  Renogy also sells solar suitcases without a controller, allowing you to purchase your own controller and mount it close to the battery which is preferable.  If you get your own controller, you can monitor it along with your factory installed Victron controller via the VictronConnect app.
  • Options
    That  is great to know, thanks!
  • Options
    So just checking that I get this - the panel needs a controller to manage the recharge phases, and to control the voltage going in to the battery.  But in my new tab 400, the solar connection goes right to the battery.  So a suitcase connected through a controller would mean that my battery actually has 2 such controllers connected to it, each performing a similar function.  I could choose an non-built in controller for the suitcase, and if I get a Victron it can be monitored through the same app as the intrailer controller.
      Do I have that right? 😀
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    @Bobby4 Yes, that is exactly what I did. I purchased another Victron controller MPPT 75/15 and mounted it next to the existing Victron in my 400. Then I just cut the 2 wires from the external solar connection to the battery and extended the 4 cut ends to the new Victron controller.  You connect to both with the Victron app, assign them to the same network and they play nicely together. I purchased a 100W Renogy Eclipse suitcase without controller (and needed to purchase cabling) but it works great.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    South Jersey