Options

How do you use Happy Campers holding tank treatment?

I have been using Happy Campers in my black tank.  After dumping the tank, I use an old 1-gallon water jug to mix the powder with water, then pour it into the toilet and add some fresh water to the tank (via the toilet).  BUT the Happy Campers almost always forms solids in my mixing container before I can even pour it in the toilet.  Is there a preferred way to mix this product to avoid having solids form?

Thanks.
2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
"Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

Comments

• Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    We like the Happy Camper product but found that even sitting closed in our summer humidity it starts to clump and harden. I am not sure if this impacts how it works but maybe someone knows. I fill my 1 gal milk jug with 1/3 water, then use a funnel for the scoop of HC. Then mix vigorously and that usually does it. Then add the rest of the water and dump in the toilet/black tank. Not sure that is preferred but it usually works for us

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    @PNWtabber if your Happy Campers is making flakes or crystals as you mix it with water, try slightly warming your mixing water FIRST, then add the Happy Camper. Since HC is a biological, you must not boil or overheat the water. A bit of warming will usually do.

When we know we will be emptying tanks and have some lead time, we put a jug of water into a black plastic garbage bag and set it in the sun for 15 minutes or so, to take off the chill. When we mix the HC with the warmed water it seems to virtually all dissolve. Sometimes there is no residue at all. Good luck with your HC. 

Any other suggestions? 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    @qhumberd -- sounds like we are doing the same.
    @dragonsdofly -- I will try this next time!! Thanks.

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited August 2022
    Yep, as with @dragonsdofly, warm the water. I use leftover kettle water from my tea, once it’s cooled off a bit to a little but not much over ambient temp, in a protein powder shaker bottle with one of those wire whisk balls. Add HC. Shake the living daylights out of it until well blended, pour immediately down drains, follow with more water.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    VictoriaP said:
    Yep, as with @dragonsdofly, warm the water. I use leftover kettle water from my tea, once it’s cooled off a bit to a little but not much over ambient temp, in a protein powder shaker bottle with one of those wire whisk balls. Add HC. Shake the living daylights out of it until well blended, pour immediately down drains, follow with more water.
    And hope no one accidentally uses that bottle for their next shake!!!

• Options
    edited August 2022
    PNWtabber said:
    VictoriaP said:
    And hope no one accidentally uses that bottle for their next shake!!!
    😆 It’s stored on a tension shelf in the bathroom with the HC (well, and toiletries. Which I also pledge not to drink.)  And it’s labeled.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    Another warm water fan here, too! I use warm tap water in a half gallon jug and shake well, water goes in before powder. Sometimes I make it up the evening before I leave and let it sit overnight. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited August 2022
    Same here, warm (not hot) water to mix up the HC 1/2 gallon for the black tank, and a 1-gallon mix for the gray tank.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @Denny16 -- I don't think I ever heard of putting it in the gray tank, good idea.

All those recommending warm water --- YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Worked a treat, as my UK friends would say!!
    Thanks!!!!!

• Options
    @PNWtabber Says on the HC website it can go in the grey tank too. Just absolutely mix well…don’t ever toss it in the drains without thorough mixing, or you’ll end up with a solid block of it in your drain pipe. Yes, I did that, and let me tell you it solidifies really, really well. Hence the warm water & shaker bottle routine, and no more drain trouble,
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    We use the happy camper powder too and also add in some dish soap and a bit of fabric softener to keep the tank lubricated and slippery for obvious reasons.  So far so good!  👍🏻
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    stephengstepheng Member Posts: 109
    edited May 2023
    how much happy camper do you use for the cassette toilet? It seems like one scoop is way too much. Since it treats 40 gallons and the cassette toilet is about 6 gallons.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    We do as @Tabulating,  we always seem to have some 98.6 degree water available and I keep the Happy Camper in a repurposed crushed red pepper container with large holes.  We just sprinkle some in occasionally.  Haven't had any smells or blockages.  Love the fact that it doesn't smell like chemicals, it just doesn't smell of anything.

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @stepheng - we use 1/4 scoop for our 8 gallon black tank.  Just make sure you dissolve it before putting it down the toilet.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 180
    We keep a gallon jug upside down in front tub along with a small thing of HC. Before heading to dump stations, get it out and fill with warm water and put in a scoop of happy camper and shake it good. When get to dump station, 1/2 goes in black tank and flush once and other 1/2 goes in gray tank. 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Options
    I spoke with the inventor and owner once about this. He said to use one whole scoop per tank, even with our smaller tanks. I keep a half gallon container and the night before I break camp I add two scoops and warm water, shake and let it sit then by morning it’s usually dissolved. I haven’t had any tank buildup or problems in over six years now. I also figure that a whole scoop per tank is cheaper than build up problems. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    KLynnKLynn Member Posts: 2
    Two scoops… Do you split between your black and gray tank?
  • Options
    @KLynn yes, and sorry I wasn’t clearer. The powder tends to clump up in cold water, and using hot/warm water and letting it sit overnight worked well for me this last trip. By morning it had all dissolved. Another reason I really love HC is that there’s no odor, no perfumes that mess with my lungs. I repurposed a half gallon liquid soap refill jug which also fits nicely next to the toilet, another plus for a small space!
  • Options
    KLynnKLynn Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for clarifying… I am also very new at this and I’m really not sure I understand the process so after you get to the dump station and you dump your black tank do you then put some more water in your tank via hose or flushing and then add the HC and dump the tank again. Any help is so so appreciated 
  • Options
    @Homebodyatheart -- it never occurred to me to add HC to the gray tank.  Thanks for mentioning that!

• Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    edited May 2023
    @KLynn our process is to dump the black tank and then fill the bowl to the brim several times with fresh water and let the force of the large volume of water flush the tank. After the final flush we close the gate and add a gallon of Happy Camper that's been well mixed in a jug. Warm water dissolves the HC better, but is not necessary if you don't mind a lot of shaking. That last gallon with the Happy Camper stays in the tank until the next time dumping.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    I find what works well before a trip is filling the toilet and then with a long plastic spoon stirring the water like some sort of witch's brew in a cauldron and then adding the scoop of Happy Camper until it dissolves.  Then flushed down into the black tank and zero problems, even with very cold water.  I found if I didn't stir it, it would definitely form solid clumps - but with stirring, it's all good.