Options

Water Pump Filter

For some reason there seemed to be a lot of questions about water pumps at Tearstock. 

Most people were surprised to learn that there is a filter between the fresh water tank and the pump.  This filter is not designed to clean the water as, say, a Brita filter would do, but to catch debris that my be in you water tank.  I usually clean this filter each spring, only once a year because it is a pain to get to on my Q model (the same goes for the L, U, and S, but it is easy to reach on a CS).

The filter is located right next to the water pump.

It is located in the little clear housing, which simply unscrews.

Inside will be a piece of screening that will catch that debris.  Not all of them look just like this, but this gives you the idea.  You do not have to take the entire unit off, this was just don here to more easily photograph it.

Clean this screening off and put it all back together again.  Be sure the cover it back on correctly, or air will get into the system and prevent to pump from drawing water.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
Sterling, VA

Comments

• Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    edited August 2015
    I'll have to check to see if my T@DA has one, Nathan!  Thank you!
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Thanks Cyclonic!

I had wondered about that little view port, and then finally forgotten about it.

Now I know what to do about it.

Is there any water pressure on that side of the pump?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    There should be none, though I have only every done this with the system empty.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Nice, thanks Nathan.  Good to know, and the pictures are a huge help.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Thanks, Nathan!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    PITPATPITPAT Member Posts: 32
    Nathan, thanks for posting clear explanation and great illustrative photos....wish I had known this  before Saturday afternoon's trauma! 
    Patty
    Pittsburgh, PA
    2015 T@B CS-S Maxx  being towed by Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    RonNAmyRonNAmy Member Posts: 10
    @Cyclonic We are new T@B owners and still working our way through inspecting everything and learning where everything is. When digging under the kitchen cabinet to check out the small FW tank and water pump and take pics, this is what ours looked like. Eww... Needless to say, the next thought was looking up how to clean the filter. Only took me a few searches to find this post.  Very helpful so just wanted to extend a kudos and THANKS for the original post.   :)
    2014 T@B Max Q  | TV 2005 Honda Pilot  |  Geoc@ching from Madison, WI.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Wow  :open_mouth:

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @RonNAmy, besides cleaning the filter, you need to do a major tank sanitizing.  Looks like something is growing in the fresh water tank.  See thread “Fresh Water Gunk”.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Oooh, THANKS @SAM , appreciate the input!  Good thing our camping trip next weekend got cancelled. Looks like we have some work to do...

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    @RonNAmy, it looks you got one of the early models with the optional T@B salad maker. They discontinued them in 2015 when it became clear most campers preferred flame grilled burgers.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    :rofl:
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    It looks like kelp!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Mouse nest?  Yikes!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    DonaDona Member Posts: 35
    edited April 2022
    Does anyone know (or have an opinion) about the usefulness of the water pump strainer being installed upside down? I don't know why they would do that? Seems silly. I might call the mfg of the pump to see if it matters, unless you know!?.  There’s plenty of room to have done it correctly, but I don’t trust our plumbing skills to flip it, so if it’s ok as is, I’ll forget about it.  I found a little white debris in it, so it’s working somewhat.
    Dona & Ben / 2019 T@B 400, no solar, 2008 Tundra / Boise
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited April 2022
    The filter cup has water pulled through it by the pump, so it’s position is not important from an operational perspective to its ability to strain material from the water.  It should work equally well in either position.  That said, the filter is a sediment filer, and is normally installed with the cup (a sediment bowl) down, so sediment can collect in the bottom of the cup, and make removal easier without loosing any debris in the cup.  For this reason, I would consider turning it back the other way round.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    DonaDona Member Posts: 35
    good point... when I removed the strainer there was debris on the lower threads, going into the pump, that I had to gingerly remove. Thanks!!
    Dona & Ben / 2019 T@B 400, no solar, 2008 Tundra / Boise