Tire Chains/Cable Chains for snow

Hi Folks-
We're heading t Yellowstone in a week and want to be prepared in the event of an early snow storm.  Our 2015 T@B CS-S has Goodyear Endurance 205-75-14 tires.   Any advise, pros or cons in using them?   Recommended brand?
Thank You-
Duke

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    There are some posts about driving in the snow, but none that seem to discuss using chains on a "towed" vehicle.

Some states apparently do require chains on a trailer if it has a "braked axle". 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited September 2022
    The Goodyear Endurance tires are a road type tire p, and if chains are required or icy conditions are encountered, I would be using cable type traction devices (chains might not fit and could interfere with or damage the brake wire connection, and reduce clearance in fender flairs.  

Duke, have you driven much is snow storm conditions or on icy roads?  If not, I would park the trailer and wait out the storm.  
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    I believe "Trailer Chains (cables)" are a state by state rule not a Federal DOT rule.

For Example:
      In CA: All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one {tow vehicle} drive axle
              Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.

I also believe AWD or 4WD is equal to 'chains' for the Tow Vehicle in most states.

Now I do a yearly Snowbird trip that includes CA - - - I have considered getting cable 'chains' for the TaB . . . . but have so far been able to avoid "Chains Required" travel days.

Side Note:  With the western states in a major drought plus your early winter season trip plans . . .  don't worry about it . . . worse case you might have to stay an extra day at an overnight stop due to chain requirements.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • DukeHewettDukeHewett Member Posts: 41
    Thanks for the feedback.  Although no responses have had actual experience in towing a trailer in the snow, I noted the recommendations.  Yes, I've driven in snow and ice many times and am very comfortable doing so, but never towed a vehicle in those conditions.   The tow vehicle is an all wheel drive and I have cable chains for it for extreme conditions.   I'll check the wheel well clearance for the T@B, and pick up a pair of cable chains for it also "just in case" and to be compliant with state laws.   Of course keeping the cables tight and checking frequently, and driving SLOW allowing plenty of braking distance is always appropriate.   Keeping the brakes adjusted is important too.   We have a friction "sway bar", but stopped using it when we deemed it was worthless and unnecessary in towing the 2015 T@B.   BUT, we will keep it with us on this trip and use it in the event we encounter snow (JMHO).   Thanks again.
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    edited September 2022
    @DukeHewett I've towed our T@b Outback quite a few times in snow.  Ours has the General Grabber LT tires with a pretty aggressive tread pattern, and I've found it follows along quite nicely.  I've had it in slushy wet snow and dry powder and not had any issues.  It's honestly very similar to pulling a snowmobile trailer, and we take it to the same places snowmobilers go.  Driving conservatively and using 4wd with good tires on our TV I think are the key.  If you're TV is good in snow, has good tread,  the trailer will do fine.  

Note I've only had it on a really icy road once, and thankfully it was just patchy ice, but it was not fun.  If it's bad enough that 4wd requires chains I park it whether I have a trailer or not.  I only put chains on when the conditions deteriorate while I'm out, and then the plan is to get home.

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 193
    edited September 2022
    Chains or cables will carry snow and ice chunks that may exacerbate clearance issues for both wires and fenders.

Check brake wire fastening and clearances carefully before adding chains or cables.  
    At least nine forum members in past four years have had their brake wire cut by abrasion against the backside of the tire in normal or bumpy summer road usage.  Our experience could have been fatal.  

How will necessary steering into any skid, affect trailer handling?  Perhaps you can find a huge empty snow covered lot without poles and test/practice response.  An awful lot can go wrong at quite low speeds.

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Here is an alternative that may work well, in fact I am considering for my next tow vehicle.

https://autosock.us/
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite