Options

Converter for AGM Maintenance...

Friends, between by outings, I typically keep my trailer plugged in to shore 15A 110v with the battery 'on' using the the internal converter to keep the battery charged and ready to go as well as keeping the refrigerator on and always cold also ready to go...  Is this considered an acceptable practice?  Does the 'converter' switch to a trickle charge when battery is full?  Should I turn off battery and put it on a dedicated trickle charger?  I don't   want to over stress/charge my AGM battery but I love keeping thing 'on.'  What is the recommendation/experience of the group?  Cheers!  
Ultimate Toys Teardrop Camper
Volvo XC-40
SF Bay Area, California

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,525
    There is no need to keep your TaB plugged in or to trickle charge your AGM battery.  I recommend turning off the battery switch and fully charging with a smart charger designed for AGMs before storage (or in between trips).  No need to continuously trickle charge.  AGMs will maintain a charge for months with minimal depletion.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    If you want to keep it plugged in and are worried about the battery overcharging, just turn off the master battery switch. That isolates the battery from the converter, and leaves the 110v system and lights still operable running off the 30 amp cable.

I do this all winter, because I run both a low watt heater and a dehumidifier to hold down condensation in a wet climate.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited November 2022
    I follow the same procedure as Victoria, run a small space heater on AC, or run the Alde on AC to keep the TaB dry in wet winter weather,  I turnoff the battery cut off switch also.  Not sure I would leave the fridge running, it cools off quickly on AC, so we leave ours off snd door ajar to allow air circulation.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    gbhaneygbhaney Member Posts: 19
    Re Sharon_is_Sam's comment: what is an example/model/recommendation of a "smart charger designed for AGMs?" Thanks, as it sounds like a good idea.
    2021 T@B 400 BD.  Silver with black. TV: 2020 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,211
    I’ve been leaving the solar charge controller on (main battery switch off) to allow the sun to top off the battery (even with a cover on it still receives some solar). Is there any harm in doing this? I’ve done this since we bought it in April of ‘21. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    This should work, as long as the batteries get enough solar to keep them charged.  I am using our solar setup to keep our TaB400 battery charged, battery switch is off. 
    Cheers 

• Options
    @gbhaney - Battery Tender, NOCO Genius, C-Tek are all reliable brands.  When shopping look for labels for AGM.  You don’t want a regular lead acid trickle charger.  Some allow selection of AGM or lithium.  Here is a good article to help you determine what amperage charger to look for.  AGMs prefer a longer (slower) charge for better battery life.

• Options
    GregChrisGregChris Member Posts: 189
    While camping in our previous trailer at East Harbor State Park, we went for hike, came back and everything was off except the led on the microwave. Fridge, water heater, water pump, all lights in the trailer. The air cond. and the microwave were the only thing that worked. It's amazing how little I know these things. The camp ground host noticed us examining the electric post, came over to offer advice. Our ac/dc converter died, and the battery died. Apparently nothing works with out 12vdc, even while plugged in. Long story short, at the advice of the camp host, I bought a Shumacker 8amp smart charger at Walmart. Because it was the only one they had. I hooked it up directly to the battery and everything worked again. I never would have thought of that. The smart charger detects and charges lithium, agm, and lead acid, and has a maintenance mode for when I take the battery out for winter. I always bring it camping now! it was a real life saver.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,698
    @GregChris what year trailer do you have?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 941
    GregChris
    I had a very similar experience and just like you now carry a 8 amp charger.

• Options
    That is a good idea, you never know when the converter may fail…
    Cheers
  • Options
    We also travel with our charger.
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 507
    If push comes to shove you could alwawas hook up the TV to get esential 12 volt items back on also. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    First year camping at Big Meadows ,solar did not work well, I plugged the TV in while we showered in the RV. It Ran the pump and lights just fine. Also brought the battery up a bit to the second led on the monitor panel.
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 941
    My trip to WalMart for a charger was also when I purchased and wired a 7-pin socket to supply the charge to the batteries without getting into their interior location.  Both have been part of our "just in case" kit ever since.

• Options
    I now have a 2021 320s bd, only got it first of Oct 2022. my previous experiences listed were mostly in a 2018 Mini Winnie. Big change in space and storage, but way easier to tow. Also went from 9-10 mpg to 15-17mpg. To me that alone was worth the change.
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 507
    I might bring up this bit of safty if using the TV for charging, manuever the TV so that the wind blowes the exaust away fromthe trailer! You do not have to be hooked up to the 2 inch ball so you have more choises to position the TV just to hook up the electrical plug from the TV. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge