Options

New with used

MikeinCoMikeinCo Member Posts: 13
Hi all,
I see I can now start a "discussion" so I thought I would make my first post on this forum.  First let me say "hi all" from south western Colorado.  
I am new to the Nu-Camp world but not a first time RV'r.  I recently brought home a 2017 T@B 320 Outback.  It is in our driveway where I am going thru things trying to get it road and camp ready.  

It has a couple 12Volt deep cycle batteries in the box with the propane tank.  Looked like the batteries had some acid on top of them and at some point some of the acid made its way to the metal bottom of the box.  I took everything out and cleaned it all with soda and a little water.  Nothing had been damaged by the batteries but the short red wire between the batteries needs new ends.  

I did not get a jack with the trailer.  I have a large scissor lift jack that I have modified to work on it.  It took me an hour or so to come up with a solid jack to trailer connection.  Nothing fancy, just a little U-shaped bracket attached to the top of the jack to capture that L-shaped metal part sticking down.   I feel like now I can take the wheels off one at a time and start to work on inspecting and repacking the wheel bearings.  The scissor jack has a 3/4" head on the screw so I plan on just putting a socket on my cordless drill to run the jack up and down.  

The tires were a little low on pressure so I put them all to 45.  The spare was on the rack on the back.  I took it off and ordered a bracket so that I can mount it on the tongue just behind the screw jack.  I can handle the spare a lot easier if it was on the tongue rather than having to lift it down from that rack or put it back up there.  My tow unit is a Ford F150 so I am not too concerned about what the tire weight will add to tongue weight.  I'm just hoping that I can find a good weight distribution in the whole of the trailer.  It has a weight distribution hitch that came with it.  I may use it if it helps with sway.  

Once I get the running gear all serviced, I think I will start studying out the water system and the Aldi.  I ordered a wand for cleaning the black water holding tank.  

The trailer is solar ready which is nice.  At some point I think I will get a panel that I can just sit on the ground next to the trailer.  

The refrigerator is a 3-way.  Hope it will work well on gas.  

I'm buying a portable generator to use with the trailer.  Something with at least 1600 watt capability.  I want to be able to use a little portable heater on occasion that is about a 1200 watt load.  There is an A/C unit but I will most likely never run it.  Might take it out.  Just don't know what I would use to block off the opening in the side of trailer

That's where I'm at on getting this unit going again.  I have been mining this forum for a lot of info to help me figure this little trailer out.  Lots of good stuff on here.  Thanks to all for sharing your experiences and knowledge.  

Happy camping,
Mike in CO

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 448
    Welcome ! A few thoughts: 
    You might want to check the condition of the batteries. Often times when they have corrosion they have taken some abuse. You don't need a weight distributing hitch with a full size truck as tow vehicle so you can save yourself some hassle there. The Alde system (not Aldi, that's a grocery chain :) ) is really nice for heating but has the drawback that it takes a while to heat the trailer. If you want instant heat the portable heater will do the trick, but try the Alde and maybe there is even less stuff to carry around. I'm old school (not to say old) and I like the gas fridge but it is a little finicky. There is no thermostat when running on gas (or 12V for that matter) so you need to adjust the temperature during the day. If you leave it on a higher setting overnight it can freeze your food. The knob directly adjusts the flame size which is different from most other RV fridges that use an electric control board and turn the flame on and off as needed. The absorption process has a limit of about 95F air temperature so it is important to keep airflow going in the trailer and across the condenser. Many owners add another fan to the fridge vent to keep air moving. 
    That's all the things I learned coming from a larger travel trailer. 
    Enjoy !
  • Options
    Thanks Grumpy_G, Good info on the gas and fridge.  The only reason I was thinking the equalizer hitch might be good was in case of side wind and possibly if I couldn't get the loading quite right.  I pulled it home without the Equalizer hooked up and no real noticeable sway.  We had a couple Lance (terrible) travel trailers where I used the equalizer hitch.  Hated it.  What a pain so if I don't need it with this trailer all the better.  

Going on the info you provided, I will be putting a thermometer in the fridge and run it for a couple days to see what I can do to regulate the temp.  Good info, thanks again.

Yes, Alde, sorry.  Kind of wish it was mothballed entirely.  I am planning to heat water outside on a stove, and do all washing up outside.  Really only want water at the toilet.  

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Congrats! One thing to note, trailer tires have a fairly short lifespan of about 5 years regardless of mileage. Given that you’re dealing with a 2017 and already have a terrific setup for jacking up the trailer, do check the age on those tires…might be time to replace them.

Not sure if the 2017 came with the built in valves to bypass the water heater (Alde); if so, you can always just leave it in bypass mode if you don’t want to use it. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    Welcome @MikeinCo!  Sounds like you have done your homework - good for you! 2017 was a good year as far as I’m concerned, but I may be a little biased😂
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Agree, @VictoriaP, we have a 2018 and had a blowout last year.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Hi Brian.  I'm curious as to what happened when the tire had the blowout.  Did it cause damage to trailer or rim?
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Thanks Sharon_is_SAM.  This 2017 seems put together nicely.  I am trying to bring it back up to road and camp ready status.  I think it must have spent most of its life so far under some sort of cover and was used very little.  A couple things I don't like is the weight of the batteries and having that heavy spare up high on the rack in back.  Neither of those things are fun.  I might leave the 50# batteries alone until I have to replace one or the other but I took the spare down.  Its not going back up on the rack.  I might fashion a slinky pipe and mount it on the rack though.  Come to think of it, I am not a big fan of the metal box that houses the batteries and propane tank either.  Not a good design for what is inside it.  One battery would be good in there but two is a very tight squeeze because of the curvature of the box. 

Thanks again for the welcome.  Looks like some knowledgeable people on the forum.   
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited June 2023
    Hi, @MikeinCo.  Here's what happened..
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/188151/#Comment_188151
    No damage to trailer or rim, though we were lucky to find a place very quickly to pull off the road.  And it was not a busy road, out in the country in SW Virginia, 55mph.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing the info on the blowout.  Good to know.
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member Posts: 6
    Mike, welcome.
    I didn't want to have one more item to store in my tab. With every trailer that I own, I either match or change the lug nuts ($14.00) to match the ones on my toe vehicle. That way the jack and wrenches of the vehicle will serve to service the trailer.
  • Options
    thanks Martin for the idea.  I will explore that.  
  • Options
    I have been working on getting a scissor lift jack to work with the T@B 320.  Got it ready now and am planning to start on repacking wheel bearings and inspecting brakes, etc.  My plan is to simply jack the axle up enough to remove the wheel with stabilizers down firmly as a safety.  I tested this once already and it seems solid enough.  
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    edited June 2023
    MikeinCo said:
    I have been working on getting a scissor lift jack to work with the T@B 320.  Got it ready now and am planning to start on repacking wheel bearings and inspecting brakes, etc.  My plan is to simply jack the axle up enough to remove the wheel with stabilizers down firmly as a safety.  I tested this once already and it seems solid enough.  
    I’m pretty sure that NuCamp warns against jacking up the camper at the axle. 

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    You are correct Marceline.  My jack will be placed under the L-shaped flange sticking down just in from the wheel.  

• Options
    edited June 2023
    the more I think about it.  since the trailer is easily moved, I might hitch the little tractor to the tongue to keep it in place while I am working on the wheels.  

• Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 352
    The jack mount looks perfect.

We have a 2018 CS. The Alde is great, but it does take an hour or two to come up to temperature. Once it gets warm, you won't want any other kind of heater.

We have found most of the jumping bean dance while towing is a caused by the undercut front of the trailer. If you put boxes or even a flat plate to prevent air from going under the trailer, all that bounce and wiggle stops.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    Mickerly writes: "If you put boxes or even a flat plate to prevent air from going under the trailer, all that bounce and wiggle stops."

Thank you for that information Mickerly.  I was planning to get boxes to mount on the sides of the tank/battery box.  Probably just some cheapy plastic ones but something.  Good to know they will serve to help with the tow.  Thanks again.

• Options
    took the left side wheel off so that I could see a part number on the grease seal.  Went to NAPA and got the seals but now I need to come up with some safety solvent and a couple tubes of wheel bearing grease, red lithium I understand.  
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    edited June 2023
    @MikeinCO, page 63 of the Dexter Axle Service Manual has the specs for bearing grease, as well as recommended brands.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
     anyone know if NuCamp or Pleasant Valley either one put out sales or marketing literature on the 2017 T@Bs.  I'm not finding any on the net.  
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    MikeinCo said:
     anyone know if NuCamp or Pleasant Valley either one put out sales or marketing literature on the 2017 T@Bs.  I'm not finding any on the net.  
    I think there was a big 4-color glossy brochure. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab