Options

Moving Hot Air Out of the Alde Compartment

AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,292
The radiant heat from the rear convectors builds up under the bed and is not very efficient. I bought a blower fan to increase the air flow. The plan is to mount it under the bed so that it forces air through the gap at the back. The question I have is about how to wire it?

One idea is to tap into the glycol circulation pump so that when the pump is on the fan will run. The down side to this is that at the beginning of the cycle the fan will be pushing cold air until the convectors heat up. At the end it will shut off while the there's still heat to be pushed out from under the bed.

Another option is to put it on a separate switch and activate it manually. I could use a thermostat under the bed, but want to keep it simple.

I'm looking for options for wiring. This is something that has probably already been done, but I haven't found it.

Stockton, New Jersey
2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    How about using one of those rechargeable USB fans?  Might be good to experiment with different placements, and might be all you need without doing something permanent.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 345
    I like the manual activation option.  90 % of the time you won't need it. I think I'd just set it up so it usb adapter plugs into the cigarette lighter outlet in the rear of your "old" 320. Easy peasy.
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    ckjsckjs Member Posts: 64

AnOldUR said:
    The radiant heat from the rear convectors builds up under the bed
    ... I could use a thermostat under the bed, but want to keep it simple.
    I have controlled a fan with this thermostat in a similar case.  It can turn on as low as 90 F.

Charles & Judy, Santa Cruz, CA
    2018 T@B 320 CS-S; Alde 3020; 4 cyl 2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,292
    edited November 2023
    @ckjs that thermostat is a good idea and looks like an easy install. I went ahead and wired it up without one, but may make that change soon. There are lots of options for 12V power source in this area. I ended up tapping into the glycol pump power and adding a dimmer. The fan draws about one amp unregulated, but with the dimmer I can slow it down for a lower power consumption and less noise.

Happy with the results. There's noticeable air flow coming up the back wall even with the fan at 50%. We don't winterize, but do plenty of camping at temperatures cool enough to need the heat. Looking forward to getting out for a test. Wondering if it will help reduce condensation.

After more searching I did find a post with a similar mod.
    Alde fan for convector fins

This is not a great picture, but you can see the dimmer in the upper right and the fan at the lower left. Bottom picture to show where wires are connected.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler