Options

Alde Mixing Valve

Has anyone replaced their Alde mixing valve?
After getting a service appointment 3 weeks away and being told that would just get me in line for diagnosis.
I have been in touch with the NuCamp techs, and it appears to be t
consensus the mixing valve is not working.
I ordered the valve thru my dealer and should have it next week. I am a former A/C and Heating mechanic and feel I can do the replacement myself.

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,598
    Short answer is Yes, several folks have replaced their system Mixing Valve.  Others have done full disassemble/repair.

Longer answer.  I do not recall any mixing valve specific DIY Install/Repair discussions.  From time to time there is a brief comment within a longer hot water discussion as to an owner doing the work.

Also note, there are two types/brands of the mixing valve.  The one you receive from nüCamp might not be identical to the one installed . . . . which shouldn't change the installation but might add some complications.

With your former life technical background the change out should be well within your skill set . . .
    provided you have the tools and your new life body can access the valve location . . . ;)

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,687
    Tell us what year your trailer is, and there will be plenty of info on the two different valves.
    This thread, for example, shows how easy it is to replace the "thermostatic" mixing valve in the trailer.(The one with the red top).
    Not sure what your issue is with hot water, but there have been instances where the mixing valve is perfectly fine, but the valve has been installed facing the wrong way. In the pictures of the "thermostatic" valve replacement, you can see the "C" and "H" markings on the brass.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,207
    The valve appears to be fairly easy to replace. At first glance it appears to be mounted in place by a clamp and screws but it actually pops right out of its holder for easy manipulation. The push connections are easy to use as well. A pretty straightforward job.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 941
    edited May 5
    As I de-winterized this spring I discovered the hot water flow was severely limited.  It was always a bit less than the cold side when wide open but very usable with no noticeable compromises.  Now, that was no longer the case.
    I immediately suspected the Alde TMV.
    Upon removal from the system (quite easy) I could see the filter screen on the inlet side was nearly completely clogged.  I tried cleaning without removal but the material covering the screen did not seem to move.  I removed the screen from the valve and found I needed to use LimeAway to dissolve the deposits.  This is a very fine screen.  Much finer than the typical aerator screens.
    When reassembled and reinstalled the hot water flow was as new.
    If I have to do this again, I will probably just remove the screen.  There are no critical sealing surfaces in the valve and it doesn't appear to need this protection in a relatively clean system.  I'm sure this screen is the cause of the reduced flow on the hot water side even when in perfect condition.

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,687
  • Options
    I searched and didn't find this.  Thanks,  Probably a better location for my post...
    The screen was not that difficult to remove if your familiar with snap clips in a groove.  The deposits on mine would not move even with brushing and scraping.  Like rhyno they were only present on the HOT inlet side of the valve.  The LimeAway or vinegar type cleaning was necessary. You could see the foaming reaction.   We live on a hard water well and I have seen this before many times.   

• Options
    @rfuss928 I had to remove our mixing valve to replace a hose clamp and I tried to remove the push-fit connection to access the screen. I was afraid of breaking the tabs that lock into the grooves in the opening. What method did you use to remove this? Also, I see a metal piece in front of the screen as well. Does that pop out easily?
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    @rfuss928 I had to remove our mixing valve to replace a hose clamp and I tried to remove the push-fit connection to access the screen. I was afraid of breaking the tabs that lock into the grooves in the opening. What method did you use to remove this? Also, I see a metal piece in front of the screen as well. Does that pop out easily?
    The plastic "push fit" retainer and the o-ring come out with gentle prying.  The triangular spring clip in front of the screen needs to be pinched together to free it from a groove around the perimeter.  The screen is a loose fit and just falls out after the clip removal.

• Options
    Perfect! Thanks for the guidance.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 591
    When removing the hoses from the mixing valve, ensure all water is drained from the system! Yeah...wasn't fun to clean up...

I too had the low hot water output last year. My dealer cleaned the gunk from the screen in the mixing valve this spring and all is well, at least for now. 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    Does anyone know if the older style mixing valves have filter screens?  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,598
    Sharon_is_SAM said:
    Does anyone know if the older style mixing valves have filter screens?

Parts List would say No Filter Screen in the older style . . .

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+