Options

Propane Tank Questions

Comments

• Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    edited March 2016
    A brief clarification please. I've read so many different weight labels for these tanks that I'm not sure which one came with my T@B. 15lb, 17lb, 20 lb, 22lb ...? Can more than one size fit into the nifty plastic colored box on my T@B trailer tongue?
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
  • Options
    hunter99hunter99 Member Posts: 45
    ST_Bob said:
    Propane, for those not that familiar with RV campers, is a liquified gas which maintains it liquid state as long as it's under sufficient pressure (90-150 PSI depending on temperature). On our RVs it's typically a 20 pound tank with a screw-on connection to a gas regulator and then to the appliances in the RV.

While it's a liquid, the level can only really be measured by a float inside the tank which activates a pointer inside a sealed, pressure-proof gauge permanently mounted as part of the gas valve. All these pressure-type gauges which screw on downstream of the tank are only good to tell you (too late of course) that you're out of propane. They measure pressure rather than liquid level in the tank.

Pressure in a propane tank is developed by the liquid propane absorbing heat from the outside and boiling to create gaseous propane which is burned by the RV's gas appliances such as the stove, water heater and furnace. When you draw off propane gas from the tank, the pressure remains relatively the same and more gaseous propane is created by boiling the liquid propane which pulls the required heat from the outside.

So, if you REALLY want to know the level of propane in your tank without removing it and sloshing it around or weighing it (old standby methods) then you need one of these replacement tanks with a built-in level gauge (NOT the pressure kind). I hear there's a new electronic sensor type which integrates with your water tank status panel and attaches to the outside of the tank, but I haven;t seen one yet. It uses capacitive sensors along the strip to actually measure the liquid level THROUGH the tank wall - but that sounds rather expensive and finicky to me. The sensor strip must be semi-permanently attached to the tank so it doesn't really suit our portable tanks.

20 pound propane tanks with built-in gauges are available for 40 to over 150 dollars depending on brand and where you buy them. A Google search for "Propane tank with gauge" should bring up plenty of options.

Remember: Those in-line gauges don't work!!!  They can't work because they only measure pressure - and we now all know that the pressure doesn't significantly change until all the liquid propane is gone and the tank is, effectively, empty.

Bob
    I was doing a lot of research and it appears that some of the tanks with the gauge built into valve (round dial type) still are only measuring the pressure in the tank. The problem is almost non of them tell you if it is measuring from the float or from pressure. I don't understand why, if you are building it into the valve, you wouldn't attach it to the float but I guess it saves money. The name brands are less affected by this but not all of them.

I did find this one at Northern Tool which has a sight guage attached linked to a magnetic float in the tank. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200493312_200493312 It measures the liquid propane as mentioned above by ST_Bob. For me it was worth it. Not as pretty as teh round guage with a dial but also less to fail. Plus the round guages that are built in are all on the other side so facing the back of the tub. This one I can easily see.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    This is just a redneck idea, but I wonder if a scale (with an on/off switch) could designed to be placed under a tank that could be used to estimate poundage of the propane left in the tank. This makes an assumption that most 20# tanks tare at a similar weight. One would also have to make sure the tank holder (or regulator/connection) wasn't interfering with the tank (would have to be looser than mine or PXL's). My tank strap is fairly snug and I know Verna's needs a couple tools to let the thing release the tank.

Thinking about it, it would be easier to get a Viking tank to see the level if it was that important to you. Easier still, carry a spare and have an idea how much propane you use on a daily basis in the different seasons and forget about iffy rednec technology.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    I have a pickup with a 7000 lb U.S. tow limit, so extra tongue weight isn't an issue for my TV. Experience of forum members who put 2x 68# 6V golf batteries in addition to the tank on the tongue without any handling or tow issues assures me the additional weight won't be a problem. I also traveled many miles with a 900# Reverse TD with a slightly overloaded truck tool box in the front without handling issues with a 2006 V6 Rav4 (up and down about 4000 ft elevation on a regular basis). Had to be careful with stopping and accelerating. BTW, the tool box didn't carry a 20# propane tank, but did carry a couple 1# bottles for the stove). Battery was in front.

In the pickup, the spare tank would be kept under a FlipBack tonneau cover and in a propane tank-specific holder I've had for years. In the past, I carried a spare this way for 13 years when I had the popup and my 94 Chevy with its wedge-shaped camper shell (side windows could be cracked open - slide type). 

But, for the sake of not carrying a lot of stuff in the pickup bed and easy of regulator/midnight tank transfer, it would be nice for me to pull out the tank-strap/battery holder frame bolted inside the box and have a welder take off the battery holder and put another tank strap in. I replaced my front box and I gained 3" in every direction (up, to the side and forward). The group 24 (and eventually group 27 agm battery) box will fit forward of the tanks without an issue. I'd have to move my solar electronics, but they need to be "prettied up" a bit anyhow. It's on my "roundtoit" list.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    My solution is to change tanks when the first one runs out. It's been working very well since the first of the year. As soon as I change out tanks, I look on Allstays for a propane refill business. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    EWizardEWizard Member Posts: 106
    @ST_Bob , I've thought about this.  
    I see how you could move the house battery inside (and switch to AGM) and put a second propane tank next to the stock one.  
    Viking even makes a dual tank holder.
    Not a bad idea.  I have to do lots of camping with my stock setup before I go about "improving things".

2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    hunter99hunter99 Member Posts: 45
    That is a proper one. The only reason I went with the I posted about is I don't trust the needle on the guage to not break. I get it for a grill but bouncing and jolting around on the front of a trailer wonders if it will hold up. I'm not saying anything is wrong with it. It's just the side of me that looks at stuff and how it may fail.
  • Options
    Thanks for the link, Bobbo. I can visualize the float thingie better. Nice to know Viking makes a dual holder. Since I have 3 more inches with the new tub I installed, I wonder if I could get the bigger Viking. Still mulling 2nd tank options here!
  • Options
    Thanks for clarification. So it's a "20lb" label with whatever they've pumped into it. Gotcha! I never used one before the T@B. Always cooked out with the charcoal brickets no gas.  :)
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I'm always looking for the cheaper way considering the need. Is there any reason having an adapter fitting for a one pound tank and keeping a couple stowed away be an unwise idea? Thinking if I ran out of big tank LP while dry camping on a cool night, hooking up one (or two if they can be "Y" adapted) would get me through the night. Not talking an Arctic adventure here, just maybe fall or spring nights when it dips a bit. That T@B sure heats up quick being so small. I go out to "piddle around" in mine on a cold day and amazed how fast that LP furnace warms it up. :)  Yea or nay of an idea ya'll think? 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    I use one of the adapters and it works well. I always have a couple of the small 1 lb canisters for the BBQ and Coleman stove. 
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    PXLated said:
    In some parts, they don't fill by that little flow meter, they put the tank on a scale and charge by the pound - Diff between start and finish. They stop filling at close to 20 lbs.
    Yep, even if it's half full they charge one the price of a full tank when they fill it up on the scales.
  • Options
    Thanks ST_Bob. I didn't know propane tanks could be so "intricate" as those details you supplied explain. I thought they just held and supplied  the gas til it ran out. The bigger the tank the longer you went.  Until we got the T@B we never used one. For cookouts I've been a charcoal kinda guy. 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    No SgtJohn - In my experience, they just charge for the poundage they put in. Not like those bottle exchanges.
  • Options
    mnmarkiemarkmnmarkiemark Member Posts: 30
    I just bought a T@B 320 S and am thinking about adding a second propane tank. This thread has been very helpful in understanding how the different type gauges works. I have found online that Worthington makes a tank that measures the internal fluid level. I found that Bass Pro Shop sells them and also that U-Haul has a private labeled tank that has the same type of gauge (found that out by reading the Q/A,s on their web page). Plan now to check U-Haul out first and verify the gauge does read the liquid level. U-haul had the best price. Here's the link:  U-Haul: U.S. 20 lb. Propane Tank with Gas Gauge
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    My 2nd tank is the one from u-haul, yes it is a float guage. I am currently in process of adding 2nd holder in a 400 aluminum front tub. NuCamp sells the bracket and will get it welded in along with adding a screened metal in the back, both mods a BD should come with from factory.

The two common RV tank sizes are 20# and 30#, that is the approximate weight of propane they will hold. A float guage is pretty good, most accurate is a scale and based on empty weight stamped on every tank and current weight along with knowing the weight of propane (liquid) it is easy math to know exactly what remains. All of the tank exchange places I have seen are 20#, but I always refill my tank so have never had to exchange.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    Welcome @mnmarkiemark. I bought one of those tanks from U-Haul a few years ago and really like it. I'm glad to hear they are still available for a good price as I have an older tank about to need replacement.
    Be aware that the gauge itself has no mechanical attachment to the tank. Rather it appears to magnetically respond to a float that is completely enclosed within the tank. Also note that the dial has no actual units. The first time I used it I calibrated it by periodically weighing the tank and comparing the remaining propane to the dial setting.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    AmazonicaAmazonica Member Posts: 151
    Is anyone here using a Viking LPG tank? I am thinking about one for the lighter weight, and being able to see the level, no guessing. I always appreciate safety. Somone had mentioned Alde does not recommend their use, but I scoured my manual, and online and cannot find that info.
    2020 T@B 400 BD w/Solar, Microwave and Closet
    Towed by 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L Hemi 4x4 Crew Cab
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I have not used them, but I fail to see how any appliances would care what the tank is made of. They aren't inexpensive and you may need new mounting hardware. The safety factor may be worth the price of entry, but I am not sure overall the advantages are worth the cost. What happens when they time out? Can they be recertified?
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Good points. I have difficulty lifting a full 20# tank high enough to safely place it in the BD Tub. If the composite one is safe and works as well, I'd bite the extra cost.

Anyone using one currently? Or have used one and stopped?
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 934
    I have been using a 10# version for ~9 years.  I have had no problems.  I like that I can see the fuel level.  I generally use less than one tankful a season so I don't very often realize the weight advantage lifting.  
    In the 10# size the cost difference between steel and composite is much less dramatic compared to the popular 20# steel tanks.

• Options
    Thank you rfuss928. :) Have you used it in cold weather? 32dF or so? I camp in Colorado at high elevation, and that's where I've "heard" (not officially) that it "vaporizes". Have experienced any cold-weather issues?
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 934
    edited January 2020
    Amazonica
    I have not had any issues related to the composite LPG tank.  We are 3 season campers so I don't have any experience with deep winter freezes in the T@B.  Occasionally we have camped at high elevations with freezing temperatures overnight with no issues.  I agree with others that the LPG container is very unlikely to cause any issues with the appliances it supplies.  Below freezing temperature can be an issue depending on tank size and appliance requirements but not related to tank material.
    Have fun! 
    Bob

• Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    edited January 2020
    I have often thought about purchasing one of those fish-weighing scales with the hook on the end, and tracking the tank by weight.  Could leave the tank in its holder; just loosen the wingnut clamp on the base, and disconnect the adapter, lifting it up enough to weigh the tank.  If I know I’ll be using propane in the winter, I’ll carry a spare full tank.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    TNOutback said:
    I have often thought about purchasing one of those fish-weighing scales with the hook on the end, and tracking the tank by weight.  Could leave the tank in its holder; just loosen the wingnut clamp on the base, and disconnect the adapter, lifting it up enough to weigh the tank.  If I know I’ll be using propane in the winter, I’ll carry a spare full tank.
    I like that idea if you can make it work with your set up. My propane tank bracket still tends to grab the tank even when the retaining bolt is loose, so I'm stuck pulling it completely out anyway if I want to get an accurate weight.
    I do think the tub brackets got slightly redesigned in later T@Bs so maybe they would fit a little looser.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    Has anyone used the Truma LevelCheck ultrasonic level finding tool. It seems a little expensive. I think a spare propane tank would be cheaper unless spare tank storage is an issue.

https://www.amazon.com/LevelCheck-Propane-Checker-Camping-Outdoor/dp/B07B5TSRJT/ref=asc_df_B07B5TSRJT/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584482455092868&psc=1

Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    Has anyone used the Truma LevelCheck ultrasonic level finding tool. It seems a little expensive. I think a spare propane tank would be cheaper unless spare tank storage is an issue.

https://www.amazon.com/LevelCheck-Propane-Checker-Camping-Outdoor/dp/B07B5TSRJT/ref=asc_df_B07B5TSRJT/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584482455092868&psc=1

I examined a whole bunch of options. In the end I decided that the $30 tank with a built-in float gauge that Costco sells every spring made the most sense. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    MrlarooMrlaroo Member Posts: 7
    Can someone help me out, what's the biggest size tank you can fit up front in the locker? Thanks
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The one that comes with it, a 20lb tank, unless you mount a horizontal tank.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.