Options

How do I get anti-freeze into the fresh water holding tank?

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,394
    Jenn...hmmm...a Polar Vortex...AND El Nino...oh no!  I like your idea of going to a CG with full hookups to do the draining/rinsing.
    I am one of the few who loves the Polar Vortex. Polar Vortex + El Nino = Big Snowstorm =)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Jenn - I'm betting your enthusiasm will fade with age.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Jenn - I'm betting your enthusiasm will fade with age.
    Pretty unlikely... not really a spring chicken. =)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Still making that bet:-)
  • Options
    ScottG said:
    Just to clarify, the pump is for emptying the tank, not filling it. Once you have filled it (as PXLated described above), you run the pump to feed water from the tank into your main supply lines.

The flap thingy does not form a perfect seal. A funnel connected to a length of tubing shoved down the hole will control some of the dribbling. Also, pour slowly, as air in the line can cause it to "burp" back at you.

Thanks ScottG, yes, I understood that. Basically I plan to use a piece of garden hose and a funnel to get some antifreeze into the hold tank underneath, and then turn on the pump to circulate it until it comes out the faucets, etc.
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    robyn769, the flap 'clicks' into the fully open position (and yes, it still leaks a little). I can see how you might not have it open all the way, and the bottom would leak a lot in that case...?

jkjenn said:
    Camco has a hand pump for getting the antifreeze into the line: http://amzn.to/1kIHqLu
    Thanks for that great tip jkjenn! I didn't realize it went any further than it does. I would have thought it would break if I clicked it into place. I will definitely try that!!

• Options
    Update:  I just called my dealer and they recommended filling the Alde with antifreeze and not bypassing it.  Also, they said to NOT put antifreeze in the fresh water tank because its hard to get the taste of it out in the Spring. I already put some in there, so they said to just open the drain valve. They said as long as long as the drain valve is open even if the little bit of water in there freezes that it has plenty of room to expand and won't do any harm.  

Also, the recommended I buy the CAMCO 36543 Pump Converter Kit and draw the antifreeze in through the pump behind the toilet so that it goes through the water pump.  I already bought the hand pump so that was a waste of money.  Oh well.  I'm going to West Marine after work to get the converter kit.  
  • Options
    They are wrong about the Alde. That is the direct opposite of what both Alde and LG advise.

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    edited October 2015
    I just had to unwinterize and rewinterize our T@B cuz I did something stupid...started winterizing a couple days ago and forgot to close the Alde bypass...aargh.  I drained the pink stuff out, blew it dry with my little compressor @45psi, rinsed the lines and the Alde tank out, drained it again, blew it out again.  THEN, I used the Camco hand pump to put pink stuff in the HW/CW lines (I had added pink to FW tank...it is indeed a pain to rinse out), leaving the FW tank dry...the hand pump worked amazingly well.  Easy to pump and took less than a gallon.  Sandra...if you're ever out this way we have good winterizing vodkas...http://www.durangospirits.com

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    Where did you put the pink stuff into the hit and cold water lines, J.D.?

• Options
    Dave28Dave28 Member Posts: 40
    I'm with DurangoTab! I prefer to blow out and then use antifreeze. We get enough sub-freezing temps to justify the redundancy. The updated winterization pdf from LG was very informative. I just used a funnel to pour 3 gallons of antifreeze into the water tank. Worked just fine. Hope all goes well with you. 
  • Options
    Jenn...the hand pump has a nipple attachment, kinda like for the air compressor, that threads into the water inlet.  Open a valve (shower or sink) then pump away til pink comes out.

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    Jenn...the hand pump has a nipple attachment, kinda like for the air compressor, that threads into the water inlet.  Open a valve (shower or sink) then pump away til pink comes out.
    You are talking city water inlet, right?

• Options
    Yup...the city water inlet...bypassing the FW tank...which stays dry.

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    Makes a lot of sense, thanks! I will probably be winterizing this weekend.

• Options
    I sterilized my take using bleach - getting that flushed out took a bit - can't imagine antifreeze.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2015
    jkjenn said:
    They are wrong about the Alde. That is the direct opposite of what both Alde and LG advise.

Thanks again jkjenn. I will go with what the manufacturer recommends. I was going to call them yesterday but I didn't see a phone number on their website.  I'm been back and forth with what to do. Its given me great anxiety, but I think I'm finally comfortable on what to do and what not to do. I will NOT be putting antifreeze in the Alde! I did buy the CAMCO winterizing converter kit that attaches to the water pump behind the toilet. My hand pump worked great, BUT, the dealer said its best to use the water pump to circulate the antifreeze just to make sure there is no water left in the pump.  When I used the hand pump it evidently by passes the pump.
  • Options
    HappyCamperHappyCamper Member Posts: 29
    Newbie, here!  What kind of compressor do you use to blow it out? ;)
  • Options
    Newbie, here!  What kind of compressor do you use to blow it out? ;)
    An air compressor, like you would use to inflate tires or run air tools. If yu cannot limit the PSI to 50lbs, you should use your water pressure regulator to protect the plumbing.

• Options
    Dave28Dave28 Member Posts: 40
    I prefer using an air compressor with a regulator to make sure I do not exceed 50 psi. A blow plug with a quick connect comes in handy when using an air compressor: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-Blowout-Plug-with-Quick-Connect-36143/205808403?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D26P-Plumbing|&gclid=CJqB3obf7cgCFZRefgodGVMCWQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    According to the 2016 winterizing directions recently posted by Ed Kaufmann, it says to drain the gray and black tanks after you get the anti freeze flowing through all of the faucets and the pump is just sucking air. My thoughts are, why not leave the anti freeze in these tanks until spring. I blew the lines out today, and I am going to do the Anti Freeze thing tomorrow, for the experience as well as to just make sure I didn't get the lines blown out enough due to my inexperience. 
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    HappyCamperHappyCamper Member Posts: 29
    Dave 28 - when you refer to using a compressor with a regulator, are you referring to a regulator for the compressor or the water regulator?  If so, I cannot get a pic in my mind how it would be connected and control the pressure.  My big question is - why do you need to blow the water out before putting anti freeze in if you are relatively sure most of the water is out?  My dealer says blow out or anti-freeze. We live in Georgia!  BTW - love all of the info!
  • Options
    I am not sure I would worry too much about it in Georgia.

I have 2 air compressors. The first I use to inflate my Jeep tires and it pushes air at over 100 psi and there is no way to lower it. The second is a larger one for use at home. This one has the ability to adjust the PSI, so that I can keep it below 50psi. If I want to use the compressor I use for travel and Jeep, I need to use the same type of water pressure regulator I would use for my water hose to keep the air pressure below 50psi to prevent damaging my plumbing.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Jenn, it can freeze in Georgia . We had someone a couple of years ago who lived  in Georgia trying to tell our owners not to winterize. You really don't want to be responsible for frozen and busted water pipes. 

Happy Camper, please continue with your questions and please do winterize.  Yes, it's not as cold as up here, but it just takes one freeze to bust a pipe. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    Jenn, it can freeze in Georgia . We had someone a couple of years ago who lived  in Georgia trying to tell our owners not to winterize. You really don't want to be responsible for frozen and busted water pipes. 

Happy Camper, please continue with your questions and please do winterize.  Yes, it's not as cold as up here, but it just takes one freeze to bust a pipe. 
    Oh, yeah, not suggesting that she not winterized, but either of them two methods should be OK in GA. I lived in Knoxville for a couple of years and saw my share of snow while there.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    The lowest recorded temperature for Georgia is -17 F so yes, it can definitely freeze up tight in GA!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Minus 17?!? Whodathunk!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ejodoinejodoin Member Posts: 6
    At what temperature should I be concerned about winterizing? I have never in my entire life had to worry about this. I am headed to southern California (LA area) in January for work and driving/camping from Florida. I do plan to store it there, but take it out camping 1-2 times a month. I an guessing I don't have to worry about it? Any suggestions?
    Gypsy Traveling Nurse now with a T@B! Home is in Melbourne, FL. Work is in California and Washington State.

States I have camped in
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    While driving, if you're in below-freezing temps, the interior of the Tab can cool down pretty quickly and pipes and fixtures can freeze.. You can keep the interior warm when you're stopped for the night.

The black and gray tanks need to be protected if the temps are below-freezing, because the drain valves can freeze up and break (happened to me).

LA doesn't have freezing ever, does it?

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ejodoinejodoin Member Posts: 6
    I don't have any water in my tanks at all, I think the only fluid that I have is when the dealer had it connected to show me everything was working two months ago. I emptied most of it out, if not all. I don't plan on putting any water in the tanks during the trip, so I "think" I am safe. I will blow whatever is in the lines out before I leave just to make sure. The highest "cold" place I will be going to is Dallas,TX to visit a friend, but I am sticking to I10 for most of the trip. About the drain valves, even if there is no liquid in the tanks, the drain valves will freeze and break?
    Gypsy Traveling Nurse now with a T@B! Home is in Melbourne, FL. Work is in California and Washington State.

States I have camped in