Options

Water Pump Filter

I'm presuming that the little thing to the left of the pump is the filter - Just want to make sure before I tear into it. Have a full tank, pump's running but getting very little (not much more than an erratic dribble) flow this morning so am thinking it could be the filter since it hasn't been cleaned all year.

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yes, that's the screen...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Thanks Chan - Filter was clean - Turned out fresh water tank was pretty much empty. I had tried to fill it at the last dump/fresh water station and it only took a couple gallons so thought was full as it was backing up. Only thing I can think of is maybe the vent tube wasn't allowing air to escape so there was a big bubble keeping fresh from going in. The first gallon or two this morning I had to pour in real slowly then it seemed back to normal.
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    PXL:  I assume the photos above were taken after you removed the filter?  Not being able to withstand the suspense, I went to the shed to check mine.  It looks identical to yours, EXCEPT the clear plastic filter housing is pointed downward.  Wonder which position is best.  Anyway, I discovered some small PVC shavings inside the filter that I assume were from plumbing installation.  No dirt otherwise.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RZRBUG - Before I did anything - I found it easily swivels to up or down. All mine had in it was some small plastic shaving, not many though.
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    If you were in Wyoming like I am right now, ice would be the cause. I  envy your problem.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    PXL, I've found that the level of the Tab makes a difference on how well the fresh water vents white you fill it.

And RZR, it's funny cuz all I found in mine was PVC filings... B-)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    PXLated said:
    RZRBUG - Before I did anything - I found it easily swivels to up or down. All mine had in it was some small plastic shaving, not many though.

Yes, and I found my fittings seemed to be just a little loose, so I hand-tightened them at both of the ends of the filter--just a good hand snug should do it to keep it from leaking at some point.  Also found a couple other connections that seemed just a bit loose and snugged those also.

ChanW said:

And RZR, it's funny cuz all I found in mine was PVC filings... B-)
    Right, and once or twice should permanently take care of those.  I also took off the filter/fitting at the end of the faucet to see if any had made it to that point and did not find any.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    sabel - Glad I'm not there ;-) - However, I probably should have hung in my home territory longer, my brother was golfing on Sunday. Much better weather than I've had fleeing early. Last year I hung there till about now and ended up in 10 degrees with snow so vowed that I'd get iut of Dodge early this year.
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    PIXLated,
    Temperature here just dropped 12 degrees in the last half hour with 70 mph winds.
    I'd  stray right where you are.
  • Options
  • Options
    Ahhh, sometimes I miss the ruggedness and inhumanly cold winds of Wyoming... (when I'm in the right mood!)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Does the "right mood" include alcohol?
    27 days of -10 or below MN weather did me in - said "never again"
  • Options
    I think it would have to. And very possibly time travel, to an earlier time.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,470
    PXLated said:
    Thanks Chan - Filter was clean - Turned out fresh water tank was pretty much empty. I had tried to fill it at the last dump/fresh water station and it only took a couple gallons so thought was full as it was backing up. Only thing I can think of is maybe the vent tube wasn't allowing air to escape so there was a big bubble keeping fresh from going in. The first gallon or two this morning I had to pour in real slowly then it seemed back to normal.
    I've occasionally had the same experience with backup when filling. However, it usually burps itself out with a few seconds rest.

I've also noticed that my vent line (which is quite small to begin with) is a little pinched at one point where it is routed under the T@B. You might want to check that, as it could contribute to the problem.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Will have to crawl underneath and check.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I am going to check my pump filter today. I noticed that my orientation is different from the picture in Pxlated's original post. The part that I assume is the cover is facing away from the door towards the front wall. How do I actually remove the cover, and when I do is a bunch of water going to come out?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @Photomom I was worried too about water gushing out and had paper towels and regular towels and a plethora of other absorbent devices on hand. Turned out, nothing came out when I took the clear cap off the filter (mine is oriented upwards). There might have been a single drip, but I can't guarantee that wasn't me because I was sweating buckets at the time. I believe you can turn the filter face upwards, but each T@B seems to be a tad different, so don't take that as gospel. 

Best of luck. Let us know how things work out.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Does the cover screw off?
  • Options
    @Photomom yup! Quite easily for me. I do have a jar opener cloth inside the house (I have weak hands) that I was prepared to use, but didn't have to. It's on finger tight, has a seal, and should be screwed back on finger-tight (don't over-tighten). Always turn the pump on to make sure there are no leaks and you didn't accidentally cross-thread the cap (which I doubt you will - you are an awesome T@B mod monster!!).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    abenteurerabenteurer Member Posts: 72
    The pump filter just keeps big stuff from being sucked into the pump.  The filter unit twists finger tight (without glue or Teflon tape) onto the pump inlet port which is why some filter access caps may be angled differently between T@Bs.  Orientation of the clear cap does not affect filter effectiveness but it does affect how easy it is to access.  The cap has right-hand threads so it will loosen by twisting counter clockwise.  It's a booger to retrieve small parts that drop behind that wall so take your time.
    2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg
  • Options
    Murphy's Law of dropping things just out of reach is alive and well in mah T@Bitha. At least I didn't have to get a colonoscopy camera! ;):lol:
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    Murphy's Law of dropping things just out of reach is alive and well in mah T@Bitha. At least I didn't have to get a colonoscopy camera! ;):lol:
    @jkjenn isn't here to defend herself!
  • Options
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Managed to get the cover off without dropping it. Can't think why they mounted the filter in that orientation! Tried rotating it but it didn't want to move so didn't force it. A little water did come out but I was prepared with a towel underneath.

There were a few bits of debris in there but not enough to matter.

BTW if you've put up command hooks for wash cloths and  have ball bungies in your tool bag you can use one to hold the door open.

Tab.jpg 150.8K
  • Options
    I also removed the aerator on the faucet (just use your thumbnails to pry it off) ant there were a couple pieces of debris in there too.
  • Options
    Hooked up to home water for the first time and got lots of spitting and sputtering for a couple minutes so I think any problems are air related.

BTW the first time you use your RV filter don't have it connected to your trailer - I was amazed how much carbon came out!

Now trying the Alde to see if we get hot water!
  • Options
    Woot! 101.5. Suspect I need to adjust the mixing valve, but it works! Will attempt a shower later.
  • Options
    Popejoy36Popejoy36 Member Posts: 3
    I am a new owner. Just hooked up to city water. Water won't enter.  Spews.. Acts like port is shut or blocked. Help!  
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    edited June 2016
    1. You are connecting a white hose to the small black water inlet (not the larger white one, right)?  If so, no kinks in the hose?
    2. Open a faucet in the shower or sink inside. There may be air trapped in the lines.
    3. Are you using a pressure regulator? Maybe too high psi coming from the source making it act like it is spewing but some water is making it into the lines.

Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    Popejoy36Popejoy36 Member Posts: 3
    Pump doesn't work for the fresh water either. All worked at dealer before we drove home. Left it setting for 2 weeks due to prior plans??  No noise from pump so don't think it is working at all.  Working with a well charged battery not shore power,