Options

Repacking Axle Bearings

2»

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited January 2016
    Boo -  Why not just cut some plywood to size pads (4 pieces) to place beneath the jack stands, jack up the corners of your trailer and place the stands on the corners of the trailer frame?  You wouldn't have to worry about the stands sinking into the ground after the frost is gone and if you are worried about the jack stands contacting the frame you could also place some strips of wood between the stand and the frame.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    Does anyone know if you have to remove the wheel to access the bearing grease fitting? Or can the bullet shaped hub cap be removed while the wheel stays on?
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Sabel - Last time I had the bearings greased (actually, all three times), the guy took the wheel off and pulled the bearings - said he wouldn't use the grease zerts for a repack as they feed to the back of the hub and you can't tell when to stop. Too much and it ooozes out the back into the hub and brake assembly. Fine for periodically adding a squirt inbetween repacks though. 
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    Since they recommend inspecting the bearings yearly, guess I'll have them do the full monty.
    thanks
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Oh phew @sabel, I thought you were going to GIVE them the full monty. LOL.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    glesieutreglesieutre Member Posts: 12
    edited June 2021
    My zerk fitting on one side doesn't seem to be accepting grease correctly. Any suggestions? 
    2015 T@B S-Max towed by 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R -- central Pennsylvania
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness." Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad, 1869
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    You could try unscrewing te Zerk and getting a replacement from an auto parts store.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,451
    My zerk fitting on one side doesn't seem to be accepting grease correctly. Any suggestions? 
    @glesieutre, has it worked in the past? When was the last time you added grease?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited June 2021
    @Denny16 Thanks, good idea. I removed it and there does seem to be a little damage around the ball. Strange. Do you happen to know if Dexter parts are metric or English? Or, what size this is? (If I had to guess, I'd say 1/4"-28.)

@ScottG Yes, it has worked in the past, and the one on the opposite side seems to still work well. Last grease addition would have been about a year ago (late July). Not much travel since then...

Thanks!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness." Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad, 1869
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited June 2021
    @glesieutre, I suspect that the zerk is 1/8" NPT

Brad

P.S. A couple other comments regarding some of the other responses.

1. You should never mix different types of wheel bearing grease, it can cause the grease to get "clumpy" with bearing failure to follow
    2. You should always replace the seals whenever you service the wheel bearings, inexpensive insurance
    3. I would not ever pump grease in until it returns out through the front bearing. The hydraulic pressure could easily push the seal out of place and allow grease into your brakes.
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    @Dutch061 The outer thread diameter is definitely less than 7 mm and appears to be tapered. Thanks for the other advice. I'd planned to have the bearings inspected and probably replaced after a pending trip. 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    You can get the Zerk in both metric or SAE (Imperial English) threads.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.