Options

Seeking Opinions on Whether We "Need" an Outback Package

Comments

• Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 160
    Are the folks that are taking their spare tire off the roof rack going camping without a spare, or caring the spare on top of their TV, or is there some other options I haven't thought of?
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Many mount theirs on the tongue - either crosswise or on the side like most boat trailers. Several threads with pics if you search.
  • Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    Leaving it! We love it there - think it looks bad-a**. Plus the angle of the yakima rack doesn't exactly lend itself to hauling anything else that can't be carried in the TV. You'd need a ladder to load it but then who wants to bring a ladder with them on the road?

We've been strapping our canopy beside it but won't be soon because we are waiting on our visor XL.

• Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    edited July 2016
    I should add that we did add a hefty master padlock to the spare to keep it from wandering off.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    As if anyone would come near your TAB with a police dog standing guard.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Here woofie, I've got a nice big, distracting tbone for ya.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    You can aways order the parts of the package that you want. We ordered our T@B S with the propane cover and platform, outside shower, and Outback upholstery.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have considered the Outback rack on my T@B S Max to get the spare out from underneath, but I have had money going to different home improvements this summer, so I'll just keep considering it. It would change the looks of my T@B and I'm not completely sold on it yet. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    AlanGrwd49AlanGrwd49 Member Posts: 1
    Shovel, yes; taller wheels-tires, yes.  $3600, no.  By the way, I've been at the beginning of the long (20 miles, not the way of the crow, dirt road into Chaco); didn't go down it, chickend out!  Even the marker sign is a bit un-maintained.  At first I didn't think it was the right sign! 

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,502
    We went down that road to Chaco in a rental economy car- a rental is the perfect almost off road vehicle!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    A person tried to take a rental up to the racetrack in death valley - Wiped out the undercarriage. The tow bill alone was $1,600+
  • Options
    TexasSlimTexasSlim Member Posts: 5
    We just got our Outback, and don't have any experience with a regular S, but we do have experience with the road to Chaco Canyon. The last 10 miles or so are extremely rough and washboarded. We got a flat from a sharp rock there. You may not need the high clearance on that road, but you definitely need the off-road tires. 

We do much of our camping in Big Bend National Park and Big Bend Ranch State Park, where we encounter extremely rough, rocky roads requiring high clearance and 4-wheel drive. We're very happy with our choice of the Outback. 
    Slick 'n' Slim
    2017 Max S Outback, 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    edited September 2016
    We took the spare off the rack and moved inside under the seat on the passenger side.  May move to the tongue, but use the TV for most storage anyways.  We use the cargo rack for chairs, and added bike racks to the crossbars, so that uses most of the weight limit.  Having the chairs handy for lunch stops has been nice.   We like the Outback package mostly for the ground clearance on rough roads, and the bigger propane  box will eventually get a bigger battery.  Also we bought used, so the up charge was not quite as noticeable maybe.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    What is the difference in height (ground clearance) between an outback and an S?

Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    In addition to LauraRey's comment above, I've heard that the Outback package also weighs a good bit more than a standard T@B (I believe it's mentioned in the walk-through video). Does anyone know how much the Outback axle itself contributes to the weight difference (obviously the rack and other items add to the weight)?  I've a Jeep Wrangler Sport so really trying to keep the weight down.  But as I'll often be set up in rough grassy fields I'm thinking of just adding the Outback axle to my standard T@B order as the higher platform would be better.  So I'm weighing the difference... (bad pun, sorry!).

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

• Options
    HR_Taly said:
     So I'm weighing the difference... (bad pun, sorry!).
    Booo! :)  However, I would be interested in that as well.  I was just going to buy a S, but really would like the option of a sturdier axle and greater clearance.  Right now I'm leaning toward ordering it rather than just taking whatever the dealer has on the lot.  I want the upgrade on the axle, brake system, tires and extended shelf in the front (on the tongue), but don't like the rack or the black cargo nets.  Plus, all the outbacks I've seen are silver and black.  I want something more colourful!
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    Is the Outback axel heavier duty? Have always understood it was not, just higher clearance.
  • Options
    I called Little Guy and asked.  They said that there is no difference in the frame, but that it is pitched differently to provide the clearance. So, I was wrong.  I'm glad I called.

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    After purchasing our used Outback, I called the factory and was told the dry weight was 1860#s.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Keep in mind that the Outback stabilizers are the same size as the ones for the T@Bs with the regular height axels. You'll have to buy 2 boxes of lego blocks (or carry several inches sturdy wood), for the stabilizers to reach the ground - even if you have a level site at a campground. My sister had the Outback and always used 3-4 blocks on the stabilizers on a completely level site. The offered tent does not fit the added height of the Outback either (unless a new offering has been created - new things in the TearDrop shop are there every day!!).  These things aren't deal breakers, just some FYI for you.

I absolutely loved the Outback and almost got that same one my sis had, but I have a 3 legged very old golden that probably couldn't make the ramp up with the extra height. Turns out he didn't like the ramp at all or the T@Bitha either. Guess he was remembering the old days when him and his sister made a golden retriever sandwich out of me in a 5x10 reverse teardrop by Little Guy. Many good memories!!! I never needed heat in the winter and both dogs could happily jump up and clear the door to get inside.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    That's good to know!  The T@b Max S is listed with a weight of 1670.  According to the video on www.tab-rv.com on the Outback package, he says that one weighs "about 1900 lbs".  I was wondering where the extra 230lbs came from.  Maybe the Yakima Rack or extra platform?  I'm not sure what the "5 piece ABS offroad kit" is.

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

• Options
    Extra weight is the rack, larger diamond plate tub and front platform. 5-piece ABS is the plastic trim package.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    PXLated said:
    Extra weight is the rack, larger diamond plate tub and front platform. 5-piece ABS is the plastic trim package.
    LOL...I thought it was a brake package.  ABS....oh, nevermind. :)
  • Options
    Ya, not real descriptive but ABS is a type of plastic I'm pretty sure.
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    The off-road tires and larger wheels add a dozen or so pounds. Not sure if the lifted suspension adds any.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    JoelJoel Member Posts: 1
    We got the Outback model two years ago and love it. Have been on numerous 4wd roads (using the 4wd in certain sections) and the trailer just followed along without complaint. The Yakima rack was attached too high on the rails for me to reach the spare tire, so I lowered the rack to the bottom of the rails and moved the tire attachment lower, too, so now I can take off the tire without a ladder. We had the dealer remove the TV and are thinking about removing the AC because we're never in campgrounds with power. If you really want to boondock, get the Outback. If you're always going to be at a CG with power and water, get the regular model.
  • Options
    While I agree with you somewhat, I don't have the Outback and boondock all the time. There have been places I didn't dare go but I wouldn't have even with the Outback.
  • Options
    MaeMae Member Posts: 12
    hello! first time comment,first camper purchase. LOVE out outback! spare tire comment: cover shredded off in wind thru ND first trip out. Plan to use rack for water jug for outdoor shower hack. still picking up MORE command hooks.We tented for 45 years.
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Mae, Welcome! Maybe you've earned a Trial By Wind badge from T@B University. Your Outback is a step up and a comfortable lie down from your tenting days. Tell us your stories and share your photos as you T@B along please.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238

I bought the T@B Max S and added the Outback axle and tires and the larger diamond plate tub so it would accomodate two six-volt batteries.  I store my spare tire under the passenger side, rear cushion.  I mainly boondock with it, but didn't like the looks of the Outback, so this gives me a colorful boondocker!
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed