Options

Water Pump causing lights to flicker when on shore power

I'm currently at a State Park camping with sis. Does anyone know why the water pump would do this? It's the same jackhammer water pump as everyone else (adding some insulation is on my to-do list). I'm on 30A shore power. No city water. Tank is full. Pump pressurizes the water as per usual. It can't be drawing so much power that the lights flicker. Have multimeter, will check everything if some of our more versed RV technical gurus can give me a hint as to where to begin to look.

Thanks!
2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    My lights would flicker when my fresh water was low and the pump seemed to be working harder. So, have you cleaned out your filter on the inlet side of the water pump? That is honestly all I can't think of. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    My lights flicker a little when I use the pump on battery power--I just assumed it was normal. The pump and the lights are 12V, so they are running off the converter/battery regardless of how much shore juice you got available.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    The main led cabin light flickers when the pump turns shuts itself off (water line pressurized).  All lights work with shore power disconnected. It's not a major flicker, btw. I did open the pump filter and there were some pvc shavings in the screen. Cleaned out and re-pressurized the water lines. I read that the main led cabin light (there is one) is probably on the same 12V wire as the pump, hence the slight flicker. 

My hard-wired meter to my battery says 13.7V, so converter seems to be in charge mode (I think this is normal if the battery is used as a buffer). All AC outlets work. Air conditioner turns on, so the AC side is working. 

I need to check level of fresh water tank. Could be low, making the pump work harder. Is there any way to fill the fresh water tank from a container easily by hand (have fresh water container)? I'd hate to have to carry around a separate pump.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Ratkity said:
    I read that the main led cabin light (there is one) is probably on the same 12V wire as the pump, hence the slight flicker. 

I believe that is what i aslo discovered when i was testing power draws. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Thanks Jenn! There seemed to be some air in the water line from opening up the pump filter to clean it. Added more fresh water (Sis' BF had a cool funnel). It only took 2 gallons to top off. Then I looked at the light above the sink along with the overhead. No flicker on sink light. I pulled the overhead LED to look at the hole, all seemed well. Turned off the TV/DVD and then ran the pump with cabin light on - barely a flicker. Seems to be a "feature" of the LED - sensitive to slight voltage variations and load.

If there's any change this weekend, I'll let you all know! BTW, did check wires in ground/neutral blocks... nothing loose.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

Ratkity, this is the easiest, less wasteful way I found to add water to the fresh water tank. I used a 4-gallon jug, I replaced the stock on/off valve with a brass 3/4" faucet bib, and then I screwed the 12" tube from Amazon or Camping World to the bib. Stick it into the water inlet, and open the lever. Very little waste, slower than using a water pump (or my battery operated shower), but very efficient.

I was able to get 3 showers, washing hands and dishes in the 19 gallon gray water tank. The 11 gallon fresh water tank need 2 to 4 gallons per day, depending on how much I was inside during the day. The black water tank would last 5 to 7 days....depending....
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,531
    Ratkitty, Pinterest has some examples of ways to fill a water tank using an empty bleach jug with the side cut out, but Verna's method looks to be a much drier method.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    4 gallons is about 32 lbs. I think my limit to lift and pour slowly is 20 lbs.. good thing I got the 2.5 gal jug!! The faucet bib idea is fabulous. Thanks for the picts!! Worth a 1000 words. I think I'm right on the money with general miserly water usage if I only used 2 gallons for shower, dishes and hand washing. 

St_Bob, thank you! Made me feel better to read that the pump/light flicker isn't something to panic about and the marine forums were helpful as well when talking about LED and water bilge pumps and light flicker.

Side note: Alde touch screen upgrade is da bomb - love it!! Rotated my bedding to sleeping on the back futon near the heater vents with head on driver's side and feet towards opposite side wall. I fit perfect! Other observations - We are having 20 mph  gusts and the XL Visor is doing well, although I hear it flap periodically and check on it just in case. I can also watch my sisters Visor XL because she's in the spot across the street.  Snugged her's up a bit, but all seems to be doing well. We've had rain/snow/sleet and a wee bit of wind this weekend. Toasty and warm!