Options

How to properly attach chains to TV

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I am thinking that is specific to their trailers.  The chains on them seem very, very long.  Seems a good way to solve that.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    RudibuckRudibuck Member Posts: 20
    The dealership where we purchased our teardrop did have us cross the chains. However, they did not instruct us to pull the chain through the opening and connect it to itself. 
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    You can also use a ball bungie to hold them higher.
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I use a bungie cord around the hitch to raise the chain a bit.  
  • Options
    TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    Easier to twist chain the  links will start to shorten chain. Just my 2cents
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• Options
    TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    edited April 2016
    Good info. Thanks Bob. I had planned on shorting up the chains from factory way to long.
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    I just unbolted mine from the A-Frame, moved the chain back a few links and re bolted them. Didn't cut the ends off in case they need to be longer again someday.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I just unbolted mine from the A-Frame, moved the chain back a few links and re bolted them. Didn't cut the ends off in case they need to be longer again someday.
    2x good idea. When I changed my TV went from a 2006 Rav4 V6 (with tow pkg) to a 2015 GMC Canyon V6 (with tow pkg), I needed the full length of chain provided by the factory to accommodate a longer hitch (in order for tailgate to clear the jack when tailgate was down).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Huh, the law is very specific!

Has Little Guy begun using two points of attachment to connect the chains to the a-frame now?

On our Tab the chains are connected to the a-frame with only one central link, making "crossing" the chains impossible.

I've been intending to re-do that for a couple of years! 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    ChanW said:

Has Little Guy begun using two points of attachment to connect the chains to the a-frame now?

On our Tab the chains are connected to the a-frame with only one central link, making "crossing" the chains impossible.

I can cross the chains on my 2015.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    Mine (2015) were attached by separate bolts on either side of the tongue. I did the same thing JandJ92010 described above.

My utility trailer, in contrast, has the chains attached to a central welded loop. They can't be crossed, or shortened without cutting something.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ST_Bob,

Do you know of the controversy about the length of the brake safety cable, ie: there was a discussion I read somewhere arguing whether the brakes should be applied when the ball-hitch connection fails and the chains are still connected, or if the brakes should be only applied if the chains fail completely and the trailer is free of the TV... Any consensus that you know of?
    ST_Bob said:
    The chain must be short enough so it cannot touch the ground under normal circumstances,  even when hitting a bump. It must also be left slack enough so the brake safety switch can be pulled out by the cable which should be connected right to the tow vehicle's hitch - never to the chains. Loop it as necessary to prevent it dragging and assure it can be pulled out if the trailer comes off the ball.

I thought this was common sense. But it has to be called uncommon sense now I guess.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    ChanW said:

Yes, they have made that adjustment on the newer trailers.  Still on my list to change as well.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Ours are surge brakes, and I don't know if the cable-pull puts the brakes on fully for those either. I'll have to check.

I'd think not. It doesn't seem like it would be safe to lock up the brakes in any case.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited April 2016
    Short story:
    I was going maaaybe 20 mph and lost a utility trailer (empty except one small item). Chains failed. 4-flat plug. No surge brakes. Nothing and no one got hurt. I probably had another mild heart attack (j/k).

Long version:
    I was on the end of my 3rd round trip moving 80 miles away and was almost to my parents' house. I didn't hitch up the trailer, the rental company did. I just checked that the ball lever was locked down (my mistake). On this last trip, the cotter pin to the hitch itself went byebye somewhere/sometime and the big hitch pin wiggled out. The chains failed - just hooks - no safety locks or screw-lock-ring thingies (this is almost 22 yrs ago). I heard this big BANG (hitch itself was solid steel - 40 lbs) and when I looked in the rearview mirror of my Chevy Silverado, the 6x12 ft trailer was gaining on me! It took everything I had not to slam on the brakes. Oiy. The trailer slowly rolled to a stop between my neighbor's mailbox and a small dogwood tree. I had to rewire the 4-flat plug. The hitch was in the middle of the street and was so heavy, it acted like a brake until the coupler popped off of it (probably some odd physics equation going on here - force equals mass x weight?.. uh...).

Lessons learned - ditch the solid steel hitch! (It was my Dad's). Replace hitch and coupler pins with locking ones - ones with rubber covers are nice to keep dirt and grit out. CHECK and lock THE CHAINS! Remind self not to have heart attack when thinking about "what if" scenarios of that entire day of moving.

That was such an awful move. Lost an alternator on 1st trip, bicyclist hit me on 2nd trip (I was stopped at stop sign) and the cyclist fell over. I panicked and threw truck into park, but missed. I hit reverse. I think the guy behind me about wet himself when he saw my rig (had huge wedge-shaped camper shell on truck) and that trailer going backwards. Jumped back in and stopped truck, but not before messing up knee. Kid on bike was embarrassed, but ok and only had a scraped knee - truck was a tank and didn't even get a scratch (kid hit edge of grill guard). Then the 3rd trip, the trailer went byebye. By then, I needed my mommy (and/or sedation). I think I vaguely remember eating a carton of ice cream instead.  :s
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    ST_Bob said:
    That's a very smart way to do it.  Did you make sure the bolts were originally grade-8 bolts?

Yes, I saw that the bolts were grade 8. I bought longer ones so that the length of the chain that I wasn't  using could be bolted back up also, so it wouldn't hang down and get in the way.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I went to a trailer place today, who manufacture utility trailers, looking for a shackle to use to connect my chains to the a-frame.

He pointed out that NY state law requires that the two chains be attached to the a-frame by individual welded-on brackets:

Much different than what was installed on our Tab at the factory, just a hole with a repair link that held both chains:

I've replaced that link with two separate connecting points, and will consider the weld-on version in the future, when the frame needs to be painted.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    abenteurerabenteurer Member Posts: 72
    I agree with ST_Bob on the chains. Tie down chains on U.S.Air Force cargo aircraft are not twisted at all because twisted chains lose significant strength. Be safe. Love that Texas law!
    2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg