Options

ATTENTION! - Special Factory Maintenance Notice

2»

Comments

• Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    edited February 2020

We noted this advisory with great interest and went ahead with the checks as we were setting out on a week long trip to Kentucky from our home in Florida.  

We found it extremely difficult to see under the door but it seemed to look good there.  We checked the joints between the under side of the floor and the wheel well shown in the photos, joints are parallel to the axle.  These looked OK but will check them again when we have access to water to clean away the dirt thrown by the tire.  We had to work at the lot where we store the T@B.

We took a deep breath and removed the fenders and were glad we did as the caulk was broken to some extent in the upper joints on both sides of the T@B. 

This is an in process photo.  You can see where we forced silicone sealer into the joint in question.  On this side the black plastic wheel well had only 3 screws in the flange as shown.  We added a couple of more to limit motion and hold the sealer in place.  We did work at smoothing the joint better.

This was not a difficult project, just time consuming.  We had had not noticed leaks but are glad of the warning and having checked.  LG should look into finding a way to make the joint lap the opposite way so water runs over rather than into it.

You can see how tightening the screws oozed the sealer out

Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Sweetly Home Question I do not understand you last comment about tightening the screws and the caulk eased out. The pic show s the fender off what screws did you tighten? Thanks John
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    John_and_Kris I am referring to the screws that secure the wheel well liner to the wall of the T@B one is shown close up in my second photo .  We had been able to work sealant down between the grey wall of the T@B and lip of black wheel well liner as there were few screws securing this joint and in some cases they were loose.  When we installed additional or tightened the existing screws the sealant we had applied in this joint oozed back out to some extent.  We felt this was a good result as it meant we had gotten sealant well down into the joint. 

The fenders are secured to grey wall with 5 screws, you can see the 5 locations in my top photo, plus two that screw into the trim piece from the bottom shown in Michigan_MIke's photo.  Note that the fender was not totally sealed to the wall of the T@B just the 5 screw holes and their screws were sealed.  

Dave and Katie

Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    AHHHHH Now I see the holes in your picture are in addition to the holes that secure the fender. Thanks so much for taking time to clarify. John  Happy TABing
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    StephensharpStephensharp Member Posts: 4
    Is there a maintenance clinic scheduled for tearstock? I think this is a great idea and will really add value to the experience. Any opportunity to learn more about our new tab and how to maintain it is something that little guy should sponsor. If not maybe some more experinced tab owners could provide an ad hoc session that provides the novice with operational and maintenance tips. 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Both Mike and I have sent a list of topics for various discussions, but we have not received confirmations of what to expect. Last year we had many afternoon and evening discussions about different topics outside of my T@B. If nothing is planned, we can certainly do this again.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Scott Hubble had made mention of a winterization clinic so I'm guessing that they do have plans to hold it.  I will query him and post any additional information I receive.  

Thanks for asking!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
    for those of use that don't want to take this on, and would rather take it somewhere and let someone else do this, would a RV service center be the place to take it?
    June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    This question has been here a while, so if you go to an RV repair shop they will do most anything you will pay for. If this is something you are not comfortable doing, I would suggest you go to an independent repair shop or perhaps a larger shop like Camping World or others. Ask their hourly rate and wait for the work to be done. The best solution of course is to have it done at PV.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    mrlynch1953mrlynch1953 Member Posts: 40

Photomom said:

kybob said:

Thank you, Mike. This would be something nice that they could show us how to do in person at Tearstock. It would be nice to have a general maintenance workshop sometime during the event. 

What a great idea! I'd bet this would get a lot of people who've bought trailers in the previous year. 

Also bearing maintenance, Alde maintenance, etc. 

yes. Please please!
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    One thing I remember from my motorhome days is NEVER use silicon on fiberglass. It won't stick and leaves a film that will prevent any other sealant from sticking. I used a lap seal made for rv;s.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited April 2017

One thing I remember from my motorhome days is NEVER use silicon on fiberglass. It won't stick and leaves a film that will prevent any other sealant from sticking. I used a lap seal made for rv;s.

Interesting to know! ... But I can't think of any fiberglass in the Tab. Is there some?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322

ChanW said:

Interesting to know! ... But I can't think of any fiberglass in the Tab. Is there some?

nuCamp RV uses Fiberglass and Azdel Sidewall Construction in its campers for serious wall construction. Azdel Composite Panels are constructed using a blend of polypropylene and fiberglass, creating an extremely strong and lightweight wall. Most noteworthy, the top features of using Fiberglass and Azdel Sidewall in campers
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    UpnorthUpnorth Member Posts: 1
    This has probably been noted elsewhere, but as I inspected the underside of my T@B, I noticed that the caulking around the black water drain pipe where it exits the trailer was cracked in several places. Another place to check?

One other comment: if you do remove the wheels, I think it would be important to: 1. Chock both wheels, 2. Use a jackstand in addition to the jacks themselves before you get under the trailer.

However, I’m not sure exactly where the jackstand should be placed. Does anyone know?
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    When you are applying caulk, don't drive yourself crazy trying to get it perfect. Do the best you can with the caulking gun and once finished, put on a pair of latex gloves and then use your fingers to smooth it out and press it in. Don't push or press too hard as you'll end up flattening the bead too much...you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. Select a caulk that remains pliable.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Another trick I learned is to use a plastic spoon that is wet to smooth out caulk. The latex gloves would be great if I wasn't allergic to latex! LOL.

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    TartantrioTartantrio Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone used 3M 4200 sealant on the caulked T@B joints?
    As a former boater I’ve used this above and below the waterline. It is an excellent performer that will withstand heat/cold, stress and vibration exceptionally well.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I love the stuff. I recently used marine 3M 5200 'fast cure', to seal up around a wire entry. 

Nice that it sticks to everything, and is very flexible when cured.

I also used it to seal around our  replacement ceiling fan on the exterior side.

I've heard some people criticize it because it sticks so well, and is hard to remove if you need to remove it.

Tartantrio said:
    Has anyone used 3M 4200 sealant on the caulked T@B joints?
    As a former boater I’ve used this above and below the waterline. It is an excellent performer that will withstand heat/cold, stress and vibration exceptionally well.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    TartantrioTartantrio Member Posts: 5
    The 3M 5200 is great too, the only caveat is to use it on things you do not plan on taking apart.
    The 4200 should be used on parts that have to periodically be disassembled.