Options

Insect infestation!!!

PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
Back from 2 week trip thru NH, ME, and VT and bank home to NY. In NH we used AC, in ME we had windows open and ran the exhaust fan, and in VT we were at a campground without electricity so we just had windows open. 

Our 2 nights in VT we had a terrible problem with bugs. Lots of Mosquitos, at night I'd kill a half dozen or so before bed and still wake up with new bites in the am. We also had lots of little black bugs that crawled around on the ceiling, and the second night we had at least 3 ladybugs inside. 

All of these things cannot be getting in when we open the door briefly. I know that bugs can get in through the sides of the window screens and plan to make auxiliary noseeum screens, can't remember if I saw those here or on Facebook.

Where else might the bugs be getting in? And what have people done to keep them out?
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    Very limited use of lighting inside, unless closed up with ac on, and vent cracked open. Those lights are a beacon to every darn bug that sees them.
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Many a night I've had the screens in place but have been in and out on occassion and had a misquito feeding frenzy. Small bugs can crawl around the screens but thinking not on the skeeters. That they came in with me.
    My solution that's worked well has been laying my Thermacell on the floor next to the screen door - could probably lay it on the outdoor step - that seems to keep the misquitos at bay. Haven't come up with anything for dinky little guys that crawl around or thru the screens.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    The A/C air intake on the roof might allow some bugs in if it's not screened.  Some "Lewis and Clark" bugs could make their way down the tube into the A/C cabinet and into the cabin through the opening around the A/C and wood frame.  To help with keeping the cool air in (and bugs out), I took off the wood trim and put foam weather-stripping around the A/C. 
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited August 2016
    You can always reverse the vent fan so the air is coming inside through the fan, making positive pressure inside the T@B and blowing out the window screens and the screen door. That might only take care of the littlest mosquitoes and such, but the big ones can open windows and doors by themselves anyhow! :wink:

PS The Thermacell idea is good, but be careful if your fan is pulling air inside the T@B through the screen door and you are prone to migraines.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    That fan draws too much power for me to use after the sun goes down, solars gone and dry camping. Keep thinking about changing it out with that low-power replacement but havn't gotten to it yet.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I think I like V's and Jenn's idea of hanging the dim hanging solar lights. No power from your battery. Just don't hang them over the door! :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ya, I have a couple of small hanging LED lanterns I use instead. Between them and the Thermacell I'm good to go.
  • Options
    ddetarddetar Member Posts: 23

Had the same small mosquito attack on a recent trip to Michigan.  I assume they are getting in through the side of the screens.  I am going to try stuffing a foam strip on each side of the screen.   The strip I plan to use has a circular cross section and comes in "rope" from.  It is used to fill large cracks in cement before applying caulking.  You can get it at Lowes in the construction area.  It comes in several diameters. I will report on it's degree of effectiveness once I have experience. 

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    The bug problem varies greatly by location and even by weather. My first night in Buena Vista, I was inundated with bugs, but none after that. The screen door and opening/closing the door is the primary culprit. As others have noted, they can still get in through the window screens and are attracted to the light. Reversing the fan will suck them up to the vent screen and it makes it easier to dispense with them.

I have seen people on the FB group sew their own no see-um bug screens that slip over the windows with elastic corners. This is something I would like to explore in the off-season....but it will require me finding someone who can sew. :) It would be a good enterprise for someone to come up with a solution and sell them.

I was able to run my fan overnight while boondocking, a few times. Bigger batteries + lower power draw fan saved me from poor sleep a few times this summer.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    edited August 2016
    I have some no-see-um netting on order and will post what I come up with. 
    I do think the fan makes a difference as the only place we had a problem was the campground without electric.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,445
    edited August 2016
    It's Vermont--the people and the bugs are hardcore there. About a month ago we sat down to dinner at Grand Isle SP and what I can best describe as an army of small black flies literally fell en masse onto our table. Weirdest bug thing I've ever seen. The food was whisked away just fast enough to avoid the worst of the onslaught, but among the four of us much shouting (and probably cursing) ensued in the immediate aftermath.

A while later the ranger came by and told the (perfectly quiet) "biker" guys at the next site to be quiet. Oh wait, bikers are a different thread...  :-)

2015 T@B S

• Options
    KarmKarm Member Posts: 18
    Last year we bought a Tab 320 and used it a couple of times in the fall without any bug infestation problem.  A couple of days ago we went Boondocking and had a serious bug problem one evening.  I read through the various remedies to control insects and no one mentioned changing the color of the lights inside their camper.  I know that yellow, pinkish, and orange lights are supposed to be less tantalizing to insects.  Has anyone tried this remedy?  
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Keeping small flying insects out is very difficult in areas prone to night flying pests.  We have a small hand held vacuum cleaner (think B&D) and it makes short work of those flying intruders.  Turn on the exhaust fan and ceiling light and vacuum away…
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    TravelPodTravelPod Member Posts: 14
    edited July 2022
    I was puzzled as to the crazy number of bugs coming inside, despite having the screens closed and having only 1 window cracked open.  After watching for about 15-20 mins, I saw flying insects come into the camper between the window screen frame and wall.

Solution, White Duck Tape around the window screen frames. Seems to be working so far, zero bugs.
    2022 Tab 320 Boondock
    2011 Toyota Sienna
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I carry the bug zapper tennis racket in our overhead storage bin our 400.  When it gets late and the tiny flying insects come in, I start zapping them.  👍🏻😀
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
    We just put a lint roller inside our Tab. Hopefully it will help as opposed to something like fly paper. We get to test it next week. The Thermocell under the door an hour before bedtime is a good idea too.

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    We have a small handheld vacuum cleaner, and suck the bugs in.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    SubaruLouSubaruLou Member Posts: 119
    I bought two small, rechargeable LED lanterns/bug zappers on Amazon that work surprisingly well inside the camper. Once we’re inside for the night, I hang them off the cabinet knobs above the sink and stove. The LED light at the bottom has three intensities and provide enough ambient light while we’re still awake that we don’t need other lights on. The purple bug zapping light doesn’t bother me to sleep. As you can see, they work! They clean up under running water (which I obviously have not kept up with 😬)

I just checked and this particular brand isn’t available on Amazon, but Costco has a three pack of very similar ones. https://www.costco.com/wisely-outdoorindoor-rechargeable-bug-zapper-with-built-in-led-lantern---3-pack.product.100892791.html

They are obviously too small to work outside, but are great inside and I love that they’re rechargeable.
    2019 T@B 320 S  |  2019 Subaru Ascent
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2022
    Nice find @SubaruLou. Thanks for the link.

@JP2558 Note that the Thermacell is toxic and not intended to be used indoors....
    JP2558 said:
     The Thermocell under the door an hour before bedtime is a good idea too.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya