Options

Another Battery Question (also a Battery of Questions)

2»

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @SAM, Good exercise in between brewskies! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641

Is it crazy to use my car as a generator?

I don't think it is crazy to use your car to recharge the battery.  It seems to me like a reasonable solution to get you through your 1 week rental.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    All chargers are trickle chargers. The battery *may* get to 80-90% in 4 hours without any loads, but it takes an overnight charge to get it to 100%. Solar just extends your battery and boondocking for a few extra days, depending on your power usage, of course. 

Using your vehicle as a battery charger is very inefficient and may not even charge the camper battery as you are at an idle and the ECM might drop the alternator voltage. Even using a generator (like Honda 2000i that comes with a built-in charger) is inefficient, but works in a pinch. At least it's a consistent charge over 4 hours to get you to a decent battery charge level.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 161
    I ordered the 100 watt suitcase.  

Generators irritate me. Dirty, smelly, loud, heavy.

Despite the fact that I will be getting the Outback with solar panels, they will give me other options if I camp in shade.  Also, with the camper solar panels, I will have a total of 250 watts and (weather permitting) will be able to camp indefinitely with a single (or possibly double) battery setup.  

--Tread lightly--

( Also if the suitcase isn't needed, I can probably sell it online. )
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    Eric, quality brewskies!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @SAM, quantity comes in to play depending on the clouds & trees! B) I only drink Kokanee! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,440
    @Trailpixie, I suspect the added wattage will be another benefit, as it seems reasonable that added wattage can increase charging capacity in less than ideal conditions.

I share your feeling about generators, an opinion that gets reinforced every time my neighbors fire one up right at the start of "generator hours."

I don't know where you are camping near Katahdin, but if it's in Baxter State Park, generators (along with just about everything else) are not allowed. Even camper size is severely restricted (though a modest T/V with a T@B should be within the limits!) 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 161
    I couldn't find any drive-up camper spots inside Baxter state park.  We are staying at Abol Bridge campground. 
  • Options
    Zurdo5150Zurdo5150 Member Posts: 24
    Quick question on using the car to charge the battery. Is it faster to charge directly through the 7 flat or through an inverter into the shore power or even into a battery charger?
    I have a 600 watt inverter onboard the tow vehicle already and a 120a alternator. Also, I am running 2 flooded DP batteries in parallel on the trailer.
    2017 Silver/Black T@G XL MAX