Options

Wanted: Ideas and thoughts on moving the spare tire to the trailer tongue!

Ok, I'm tired of worrying about how low the spare is to the ground, and/or obstacles [driveways & speed bumps in particular]. I've looked through the threads and seen a few mods that have addressed this issue, but have concerns about which one seems to work the best, location, and ease of installation. I am looking for a side mount for the passenger side that clamps to the trailer tongue. Not real thrilled about the ones that attach to the crank mechanism. Thoughts and ideas welcome! Thanks in advance.
2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
Spokane, Wa.
Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    P.S. Not only that I'm worried, I'm crippled up enough I only want to crawl under there one time to remove the spare. And another thought comes to mind; what to do with the mount underneath. Is it easily removed?
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I get your drift so far as your limitations and what you are trying to accomplish here.  There is a ton of information with the forum too via the search function as this has been a topic of interest many times, but you could also try looking on etrailer.com as they have many products that might fit the bill for what you are trying to achieve here.  

For me personally and when I hear these types of discussions I'm always thinking about tongue weight and what an additional tire and bracket adds to the overall weight given you have a 20# propane tank, battery and tub mounted to the front of the trailer.  That concerns me, but with physical limitations/need as you have it is probably a more viable alternative.  

If it were me I would look to mount the trailer in a similar fashion as shown in the photo below as it keeps the weight/center of gravity to the center near the trailer tongue, still allows for access to the tub area and still gives one access to the spare tire if a flat or damage is encountered along the trail.  I'd probably have someone fabricate something like this and weld it permanently to the frame or come up with a removable mount to allow someone else down the line the ability to do what they wanted with the spare & mount.  As for the underside spare mounting bracket I would just leave it as is and allow someone else the ability to use it should you sell your trailer.  I'm not sure whether or not it is welded to the trailer, but it shouldn't present any clearance issues and you won't risk burning the fabric should it need to be cut off with a torch, etc.

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Thanks Mike. I just have concerns about the integrity of the crank structure mounting the tire in such a manner. I go boondocking quite a bit, and the bouncing/jarring effect would be a concern to me. The reason I started this thread was to get some real-life feed back from those who have done this mod and the pluses and minuses of the mods themselves. As always I appreciate your comments and concerns about the weight factor and re-sale issues. The weight factor of the tire/wheel assembly is not really an issue for me as much as the original location of the assembly. I am looking for something that can in fact be easily removed for re-sale, and still stable enough to not have to cause concern.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    This is the one I used. It is very beefy. We first mounted it to the side of the tongue but felt the tire was too low to the ground so we mounted it crosswise attached it to the jack post. I feel like it is better balanced that way. 
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RJKB2FQ/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    Keep in mind that in the crank-mounted applications, the tire is actually sitting on the trailer rails. If you position things carefully the crank itself bears no load other than to hold the tire upright, and it's perfectly adequate for that task.

As for the underside bracket, it is not welded on. Once you remove the tire, you'll see the two nuts that hold the bracket on. The bolts themselves are anchored in the bowels of the tab, so I just put the nuts back on a stashed the bracket. Putting it back on would be just as easy.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I would like to find one that mounts right next to the propane box.  I have an '06 and have seen a couple, but have yet to find something hat would fit and seems reasonable to mount in the area.  Not sure of the clearance on the newer T@Bs....
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    This is the one I use.  It was one of the first mods I made.  It has been riding here for almost three years without incident.  Weight and balance considerations can be more critical if your TV is already close to its limits.  I pull with a full-sized pickup, so it is not as critical for me.  

I do pay attention to balance and weight distribution by not storing as much in front of the axle as I would if the tire were still mounted in back.  Mine is mounted on the right side of the tongue, so a little more weight on the left side of the trailer, etc.

What Scott said about the bracket.  Mine is in the storage shed until such time as I decide to let go of the T@B.

BTW, this is not a permanent mod and is not that expensive, so if you decide it is not working out, just take it off and try something else.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cargo-Control/Fulton/FSTC1000301.html

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2016
    ericnliz, yup, I mounted ours on a crossbar I made for the tongue, and balance it using the crank-post.
    Like you, I was concerned about the strength of the post. I attached it to the post quite firmly, so it won't rock back and forth at all, and anchored it at the tire's base so that will stay put, not stressing the post connection.
    The post seems quite sturdy enough to handle it, as it only acts to keep the tire upright. 
    If you haven't seen it, the thread w/ pics is here.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ScottG, Photomom, RZRBUG, and ChanW, Thank you, thank you thank you! Especially for the added links [and thread ChanW] so I could take a closer look @ the practical applications. Still looking at different ideas and what I think will work best for Liz and I. I always greatly appreciate the thoughtful comments as well!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Like RZRBUG, this was the first mod I did - got the mount at a marine store - boat trailers usually have the tire mounted to the tongue. You'll notice I used a wood spacer to set it out away a but. This allowed me the shift it back toward the T@B a bit further. Doesn't hang down any further than the black water valve on the other side.

• Options
    Thanks PXL, that's more what I was looking for. One question though, how does it effect getting to the propane tank?
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Not in the way at all. I generally stand on the other side when I pull the tank.
  • Options
    Makes sense, that way your skivvies don't get caught on the bracket! =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    ericnliz said:
    Thanks Mike. I just have concerns about the integrity of the crank structure mounting the tire in such a manner. I go boondocking quite a bit, and the bouncing/jarring effect would be a concern to me. The reason I started this thread was to get some real-life feed back from those who have done this mod and the pluses and minuses of the mods themselves. As always I appreciate your comments and concerns about the weight factor and re-sale issues. The weight factor of the tire/wheel assembly is not really an issue for me as much as the original location of the assembly. I am looking for something that can in fact be easily removed for re-sale, and still stable enough to not have to cause concern.
    I mounted a spare on the front of the first teardrop I owned and never liked it.  It was more weight and I had to keep an eye on the bolts as I did have one loosen up via the force of the tire so from that point on I steered clear of any front mounted spare as it was always in the way.  Good luck!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    ericnliz said:
    Makes sense, that way your skivvies don't get caught on the bracket! =)
    Especially his prized pink flamingo ones!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Thanks Mike! I like you have a Chevy truck, [Avalanche] so the weight factor is not a big concern. My concerns are the accessibility to the propane tank and battery box as well as the ease of getting to the drains for black and grey water. Lock washers are in order no matter what I choose, believe me!  Ratkity, I was just WAITING for you to chime in on that one! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Mounted on the passenger side leaves everything you need access to - propane, battery, dump valves - all out in the open.
    It's been mounted there just shy of two years without a problem.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Eric, by the way, if you choose PXLated's spare tire mount, you can change which holes you put the bolts through to make it higher off the ground. I found that out.

And I second Mike's caution. I lost my Silver Shadow's spare at an intersection in a busy town in California. I had to get the sockets out quickly, loosen the other nuts and then threw the tire on the bed , on a tarp. No one was impatient with me--it amazed me. Of course it took less time than I was feeling it took. It was the same as what PXLated has. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Verna, Mike, I appreciate your mentioning this.  Although I haven't had any problems, I know things like this can work loose over time.  AND, this discussion reminded me that I haven't checked the nuts on this mount since I installed, nor have I checked the air in the spare (other than just hitting it with my fist).  Will check today.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Verna and RZRBUG, Lock washers and a LITTLE lock- tite work well for most applications. RZRBUG, just so you know, the only thing thumping on a radial tire of ANY kind will tell you is that it has air in it. [kinda sounds cool though- huh?]
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    PXL, thanks! [although I couldn't resist the skivvies comment!] :o;)=)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Loctite will save the world...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I only change out my propane tank in my skivvies in the dark of night when it's warm out. When it's hot...You don't want to know.
  • Options
    PXL, Commando! :o
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    OOPS! I can see Verna picking up her edit wand! Not stun, PLLEASE! :s
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    HELP Ratkity! :o
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    There's more than 4 letters in that word, @ericnliz !
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks Verna! saved by the magic again!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Verna - They're so easily set up :-)