Options

Wanted: Ideas and thoughts on moving the spare tire to the trailer tongue!

2»

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    PXLated said:
    Verna - They're so easily set up :-)
    I smelled a PXL set-up from a mile away - good thing I read it before coffee! My mental image couldn't be conjured up and my little bit of sanity remains intact (for now). He might try it again in the future (*pffft "might" he WILL).

OP - use the BLUE loctite. The red one is permanent. Make sure you have a good lug wrench you can get the lugs off - V, I and others have a versatile lug wrench set that has two sockets (17 mm and 13/16) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SEXO3E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

I also carry a crossbar lug wrench, but the jack would get in the way. My solution was to put the spare on a Yakima rack like the Outback has. Pricey, but for piece of mind.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    This is how I placed my spare. Left a perfect place for my 12 gallon Smart Tote dump tank.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    Lil_LucyLil_Lucy Member Posts: 82
    ericnliz said:
    Thanks Mike. I just have concerns about the integrity of the crank structure mounting the tire in such a manner. I go boondocking quite a bit, and the bouncing/jarring effect would be a concern to me. The reason I started this thread was to get some real-life feed back from those who have done this mod and the pluses and minuses of the mods themselves. As always I appreciate your comments and concerns about the weight factor and re-sale issues. The weight factor of the tire/wheel assembly is not really an issue for me as much as the original location of the assembly. I am looking for something that can in fact be easily removed for re-sale, and still stable enough to not have to cause concern.
    ericnliz:
    Here are some pictures of my spare mounted to the jack crank. I just used a standard frame mounted carrier and used muffler clamp bolts to bolt it on. (You may have to drill a new hole or two in the bracket). This configuration has stayed on and in place for two trips from Michigan to Oregon and back without any problems. 
    P.S.
    You will notice it also makes a handy place to hang your hitch chains when not towing.

As for the spare tire bracket underneath the T@b. I left that there and utilized it to mount a sewer hose carrier. I just built a bracket that attaches right to it. All these modifications can be taken off and everything will be right back to original.

2016 T@b 320 Max-S (Silver/Red Trim) / TV: 2019 Ford Flex
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    The crosswise tire looks to me like it would always be in the way when accessing the tub/battery/propane. Maybe it's because I'm short with matching arms and have to get in close.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yeah but..., I don't know if I've ever accessed the tub/battery/propane from the front. I usually deal with it from one side or the other... 

Your tire would definitely be in the way (for me) of getting at the propane, especially if it was the middle of the night, what was it, in pink skivvies?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Oh no, you joining the thugs picking on me?
    I'll get even :-)
  • Options
    @Lil_Lucy I see the radiator clamps on the sewer hose holder underneath. I have 2 bolts that hang down that held the spare underneath. How'd you modify those to the clamps? I really love your mod!!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,510
    Lil_Lucy
    How difficult is it to access the sewer hose, and have you bottomed out with it in that position?  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    Sorry, PXL. I'm also, um, compactly constructed, and I agree with Chan. You need to relocate your spare ASAP!  :-)
    ChanW said:
    Yeah but..., I don't know if I've ever accessed the tub/battery/propane from the front. I usually deal with it from one side or the other... 

Your tire would definitely be in the way (for me) of getting at the propane, especially if it was the middle of the night, what was it, in pink skivvies?
    PXLated said:
    Oh no, you joining the thugs picking on me?
    I'll get even :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Ratkity said:
    @Lil_Lucy I see the radiator clamps on the sewer hose holder underneath. I have 2 bolts that hang down that held the spare underneath. How'd you modify those to the clamps? I really love your mod!!!

Ratkity:
    Attached are close up pictures of the bracket I had made that bolts right to the spare tire bracket and the 46" hose carrier. The hanger straps you see on the ends were just added as a back-up measure should the bolts come loose or break. After two trips from Michigan to Oregon everything is still tight and holding well.
    P.S.
    I used a 46" hose carrier because it fits perfectly between the stabilizer cranks.

• Options
    SAM said:
    Lil_Lucy
    How difficult is it to access the sewer hose, and have you bottomed out with it in that position?  

Sam:
    There is no problem accessing the sewer hose. I just bend down on one knee and twist the cap off. The hose carrier is actually nestled up higher than the spare tire bracket itself, so I have never bottomed out (yet!!!). All this keeps the spare tire bracket original in case some would ever want to put their spare there.
  • Options
    Thank you for the picts, @Lil_Lucy! They explain so much.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Lil_Lucy, Wow, thanks for the photos and description. Looks like a great solution to the problem. 
    PXL, Thugs? Really?  =)
    ChanW, Atta boy! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    Where's PXL today?
    Is he hiding from the thugs?
    Did he fall into a dead zone again?
    Did he ever really exist?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    You guys picked on him too much!  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna, Never enough! Besides, he does get even.
    ScottG, good one! 
    Or..... maybe he got zapped with Verna's magic wand! =)
    Pxl, If we didn't like 'ya we wouldn't pick on "ya! ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    No cell coverage until this evening - So many thread updates I'll never see who I need to get even with - But I can probably guess:-)
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Uh-oh, watch out Ratkity

PXLated said:
    No cell coverage until this evening - So many thread updates I'll never see who I need to get even with - But I can probably guess:-)

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Bahahahahah Chan! Except I'm a wee more accurate! :wink:
  • Options
    But it's not your accuracy that will count but mine - off to go mole hunting :-)
  • Options
    Good one PXL! 
    Verna, I told you he gets even!
    Spokane, Wa.