Options

shore power

how do you all test for shore power when you plug in. The last time I plugged in to shore power, it wasn't working and I was using battery and I wasn't aware until I turned on the air and it didn't run.

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I have a phone charger plugged into one of the wall outlets.  It has a little LED that lights up when power is going to it.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I've got a built in surge suppressor made by Progressive Industries that performs diagnostic tests on my trailer when I plug it in to shore power.  I keep the Alde turned off during this process as I had issues before installing the surge suppressor, but that might not be an issue now.  They do make a small plug in style tester that you can use however and it's inexpensive.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    how do you all test for shore power when you plug in. The last time I plugged in to shore power, it wasn't working and I was using battery and I wasn't aware until I turned on the air and it didn't run.

Another sure sign is that you should start to hear the convertor fan when you plug in to shore power. I can't think of a time when I didn't hear it after plugging in.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    edited August 2016
    Never thought to test mine, but here's what I might do:

- Disconnect the battery and see if things still work.
    - Press the "test" button on one of the GFI outlets. It won't trip if there's no AC power.
    - Flip on the air conditioner (as you have already discovered!)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I have the SeeLevel monitor and press the Battery button to make sure the battery is charging (13.6v.) 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    @chuckshaver you said it - as soon as I plug in I turn on the air conditioner for a minute to test if shore power is working. Quick and easy.
  • Options
    chuckshaverchuckshaver Member Posts: 23
    What is the seelevel moniter?
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    chuckshaver, The monitor next to the pump switch. Mine has an led screen with buttons you can push for battery, fresh water level, gray water level, and black water level. Anyone got a picture?
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Did you install this yourself? or did it come with your T@B.
  • Options
    Mine came with: 2016 MaxS model
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    chuckshaver, Just a note: others have installed their own, and I'm sure one of them will chime in here pretty soon, be patient!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    My power cord has a LED on the plug. If the LED comes on I'm good.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Like JustJohn said. Little LED on the side of the big plug that twists into the Tab
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Mine has one on both ends, one at the house plug-in, and one at the trailer where it plugs in. This tells me that I have power on both ends, and eliminates all the guess work. Don't recall the brand name, it was dealer supplied.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    The lights on the cord will tell you if you are getting power to the T@B, but won't tell you if there is a problem with AC distribution in the T@B. Seems far-fetched, I know, but not too long ago somebody here had a similar problem that traced back to the internal connections at the 30A plug.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

I had the dealer install one but I probably could have done it. Richard Lewis has a video on YouTube for installing one in a Dutchmen T@b and it would not be that different on a newer T@b.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    A word of caution about permanent installs of the expensive surge protectors. Use a wee dab of blue loctite on the screws that hold the wires to the connectors. The bouncing of the light trailer can make the screws back out.

I didn't even have an error code on my surge protector when that was happening, but was having weird off and on (random) electrical issues. Traced everything and finally opened up the surge protector. One of the neutral wires escaped its connector and was arcing to it. The wire insulation was a little crispy, but otherwise ok. No errors, no meter indications there was an issue, power in was ok, power to converter was ok, 12V stuff was ok... looking inside the surge protector was just a "geesh, I might as well, I've checked every wire in this [insert bad words] trailer already (in 95+ heat)". Ended up that was the problem.

This may not happen to everyone, but Murphy's Law is alive and well in my life!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    I opted for one of these.  It tells me if the polarity is reversed or if the ground and neutral are reversed and provides surge protection.  Just because the led on the plug powers cable is on doesn't mean you have good power.   

2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    I would recommend investing in a more expensive "surge" protector. It's not just polarity and high surges that are detrimental to your camper, but low voltages will fry sensitive electronics and some of the more expensive protectors will protect against those. I know those protectors can be pricy, but for all the people (not just here) I've met that have had issues, I think the cost is worth it.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Yes, it's not too difficult an install but it's obvious the manufacturer could use some tips for better instructions to help those not familiar with electrical installs and writing user friendly instructions.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Since I rarely stay at places with hookups, I opted for a simple tester, surge protector... Camco 55310 ... Has worked well for my needs...

• Options
    The power cord that came with my T@B has a red LED at the T@B end and a blue LED at the outlet end.  On our last trip we noted that the blue LED no longer works. Is the cord supplied by PV or by the dealer? Is it worth having it replaced under warranty?
  • Options
    Photomom - But the cord itself still works? It's the blue light that doesn't but red still does?
    If so, I'm not sure that would be even worth the call - sorry.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Photomom - But the cord itself still works? It's the blue light that doesn't but red still does?
    If so, I'm not sure that would be even worth the call - sorry.
    Yeah, that's the gist of it. DH thinks I should get it replaced, but it doesn't seem worth the drive to the dealer to get a new one.
  • Options
    Not worth even a call in my book.
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    After I connect, I always plug a test light into a 110V outlet. If it lights up, I'm good.

Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Tommy said:
    @chuckshaver you said it - as soon as I plug in I turn on the air conditioner for a minute to test if shore power is working. Quick and easy.
    My converter has a delay (I think 30 seconds) during which it will not supply power to the A/C.  The Progressive power management device I use also has a 30 second delay.  I think this adds up to about a minute before power is sent to the A/C.  Before I knew this, I wasted some time trying to figure out what was wrong with my A/C one hot Kansas day.  So this power test method will work.  Just give the converter time to kick in.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Even the non-permanent Progressive Industries surge protector (once it blows, toss it and get another) - it also has a delay. The converter delay is minimal as well and is doing a self-test for polarity and correct voltage, so like @RZRBUG said, don't panic! If your hearing isn't compromised, sometimes you can hear the "click" when the surge protectors kick in and allow power to flow.

PS While not panicking, make sure you carry a towel :wink: