Options

How to light the propane stove

VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
This discussion was created from comments split from: Troubleshooting Norcold 3-way on propane.
Verna, Columbus, IN
2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”

Comments

• Options
    RhodiemaxRhodiemax Member Posts: 5
    I just bought an 08 T@B and the propane tank seems pretty full. I weighted it at 35.5 pounds. I turned the tank on and tried to light the stove but got nothing. Tried several time, stuck my nose and ear to the burner (not while trying to light of course!) and nothing seems to be coming out. Is there a valve other than the tank open/close valve?

Any ideas?
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Not that I know of.
    I've had two instances like that. One was a bad tank valve and in the other case I disconnected the propane tank and reconnected and it started working.
  • Options
    Come to think of it, there's some kind of safety valve in my 2015 so it shuts off the gas if no flame.
    The only other thing is the pressure regulator.
  • Options
    RhodiemaxRhodiemax Member Posts: 5
    Thanks, I'll try it again with a second tank I have for my hot tub, (not in my T@B).
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2016
    Turn the knob to 'Light', and then press and hold the knob while you hold the match to the burner. Then hold the knob down a bit longer, to let it warm up. Then let go and adjust the knob to the size flame you want. 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    There's that, making sure your working the knobs/controls correctly - I presumed you were. That's not always the case :-)
  • Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    Rhodiemax said:
    I just bought an 08 T@B and the propane tank seems pretty full. I weighted it at 35.5 pounds. I turned the tank on and tried to light the stove but got nothing. Tried several time, stuck my nose and ear to the burner (not while trying to light of course!) and nothing seems to be coming out. Is there a valve other than the tank open/close valve?

Any ideas?
    That doesn't sound right... a full - full sized propane tank should be around 15-16 lbs. Empty they drop down to around 6-7 lbs.

Echoing what Chan said - make sure you are pushing the button when it is in the lighting position.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    Maybe want to split this thread- it went from Norcold to stove in a flash!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,449
    Tommy said:
    That doesn't sound right... a full - full sized propane tank should be around 15-16 lbs. Empty they drop down to around 6-7 lbs.
    My three tanks are ~35lbs full, ~17lbs empty. What are you using? I'd really prefer to lug those around!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Tommy, I'm pretty sure the tank is called a 20 pound capacity tank...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    Tommy, I'm pretty sure the tank is called a 20 pound capacity tank...
    Yep, though in reality they only seem to hold 17-18lbs. I think it has something to do with the upgraded safety valves that were mandated several years back. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    They are not allowed to be filled to 100% of capacity because propane expands with heat
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    edited August 2016
    ScottG said:
    My three tanks are ~35lbs full, ~17lbs empty. What are you using? I'd really prefer to lug those around!
    Ah yes you are correct. I blame it on too many too many beers over the bbq last night haha. Actually I measured a tank empty and full last week and I realized now I had my scale set to Kg. 
  • Options
    Darn. I was really hoping you had found a magic tank that held 20lbs but only weighed 15.

Regardless, I can't think of a finer excuse for your error!  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thanks for specifying the weight of a full tank for us @ScottG. I was able to weigh my tank today and determine it's pretty close to full. 
    Now if only I can keep that bit of info in my mind for the future...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    edited September 2016
    Take a marker and write the empty weight and the full weight on the tank.  Then there is no reason to waste the little grey cells on that. 
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    olallajohnolallajohn Member Posts: 3
    There is a safety feature on newer tanks at the valve (it bites me on my bbq if I have left a burner on when closing the tank valve) that, if there is an open valve anywhere in the system when the tank valve is opened the safety thingy will stop the flow of propane.  It senses the high volume outflow and behaves as if there is a leak. I read somewhere (maybe here?) to open the tank valve slowly with all propane devices turned off.  This will ensure that the safety flap (or whatever) doesn't keep all your propane appliances (and you I guess) uh, safe.
    Tacoma WA - 2017 T@B S-Max + 2014 Jeep Cherokee TH - Just me and the 4 legged navigator Tucker
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 935
    edited September 2016
    The tare weight of all portable LPG tanks is stamped on the tank - usually on the collar that surrounds the valve.  No need for a marker or memory.  

Steel 20# tanks are typically ~18#. 

Some refill stations fill to a weight  - tare weight +20#.  Others crack open a bleed valve screw and fill until liquid LPG vents. 

This link is a nice, concise summary:

http://www.elgas.com.au/blog/1714-how-lpg-gas-bottles-cylinders-are-refilled-lpg-filling-methods

Or a bit more detail:

http://www.propane101.com/propanecylinderfilling.htm

Have fun!
    Bob

• Options
    Ok, I'll still need the marker, to paint an arrow pointing to the Tare weight stamp. (Now if I could only remember where I put that marker...)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    ChanW said:
    Ok, I'll still need the marker, to paint an arrow pointing to the Tare weight stamp. (Now if I could only remember where I put that marker...)
    Looks guilty and puts Chan's Sharpie back in his desk. :blush:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    I knew it had to be you, Ratkity. But actually, I still have my purple crayon...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 273
    Back to the original subject. I went through this today too. I wanted to test the fridge to make sure I could get it started on propane. Wouldn't start no matter what I did. Read the manual and everything (I know, odd, right?). Tried the burners and they wouldn't light either. Propane was on and almost full. Eliminated the tank gauge in case it was causing the problem. Burner still wouldn't light. Panicking because we are getting ready to go on a 2 week trip. Thought some more and realized dummy me forgot to press the dial in while lighting. Duh. But then the fridge still wouldn't start. Reread the manual. Propane selected on the panel. Dial pointed at start. Nothing. Guess what. Start doesn't mean start. That is the off position. Turn the dial to full and it lights fine. Dummy me for reading the manual.
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • Options
    ChrisK - Mine lights with the knob clear up to the start position or any other position. Switch on propane, dial wherever, press/hold red button and it lights - might have to hold the red button in for 15 seconds for the green light to come on and stay on.
  • Options
    ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 273
    Yeah, I tried several times in the "start" position and it just would not start. Started as soon as I moved away from that. Maybe mine is just haunted.
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • Options
    Anomolies, don't ya just love em :-)