Options

T@B Covers

forklift_guy59forklift_guy59 Member Posts: 16
edited November 2014 in Products and Accessories
Looking for info on a cover for my T@B. This unit is stored in direct sun and hot temps most of the year. I'm looking for a cover that will maybe cut down on the heat buildup inside. I have installed a roof vent cover so I can leave this open without fear of rain leakage. Camping world sells covers that they claim will help with heat buildup. I'm not sure. 

Comments

• Options
    JimboJimbo Member Posts: 118
    forklift_guy59,
    You already be aware of the custom cover sold in the on-line store for T@B and Little Guy. This one is made by Pahqua custom for our T@B's. I just received mine but have not had time to install it so I can't tell you much about it yet. If you have not check the on-line store just click on "Online Store above and select T@B. I know I have read other posts about another offering from a different company and have viewed their offering on-line, but chose the Pahqua through Little Guy. Hope this helps.
    Jim, Kelseyville CA, 2013 T@B "Q", T@BCASA, Silver W/Yellow trim, TV: 2006 Honda Ridgeline 
  • Options
    Yes it helps. Thanks for the input. I am aware of the on-line store and their cover. I was not aware that it is made by "Pahqua"  My big question is the heat build up in the trailer. I live in Florida and it is parked on asphalt. I'm going to try and contact Pahqua and see what I can find out. 
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I stored my Silver Shadow in Florida (in an outdoor, grassy area) for three months, I also have a vent cover and leave the vent full open and had no issues other than the ants that are looking for any entry into the trailer they can find.  Unless you have the means of parking your trailer under a carport or similar structure the sun will attack it and via UV, eat away at anything it can.  The Paha Que covers are heavier duty material and not the lightweight, cheaper quality material you find on a lot of the boat, car, etc. covers.  But regardless, and as noted earlier the UV attack will be relentless as you well know....
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    I have used the PahaQue T@B cover for almost a year now, and I couldn't be happier with it.  I would not recommend anything else.  As for heat build-up, we have had some pretty hot days here in Colorado, too, and I have not noticed anything adverse in my T@B.  The cover doesn't come all the way to the ground, so there is airflow around the bottom of the trailer.  I would probably leave the side windows cracked if you are that concerned about heat buildup. ;)
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    I'm hoping to get to Camping World next week and check out their covers. I have the specs for the PahaQue covers. Maybe I will find out what the difference is between the two. Cheryl - thanks for the RPod hint. I may need to go to a different cover than the T@B one because I added the Aero-Flo roof vent and a new storage box on the front.
  • Options
    Is there any gap between the front of the trailer and the box on the front?  I slid my cover down between my storage box on my Silver Shadow and also have an aeroflo vent cover on the trailer too and had plenty of extra fabric hanging down.  I doubt your vent cover will pose any issue and with the bungy cords supplied you'll be able to keep the cover intact and in place.  
  • Options
    Michigan_Mike,  that's a great idea. I think I'll be able to slide the cover between the tab and the storage box. Thanks!
  • Options
    When I installed my diamond plate tool box on my trailer I left a gap to allow for a cover and any cleaning between that point and the trailer.  If you've installed any screws through the box for wiring harnesses or whatever just snip off the ends of the screws to keep them from snagging the cover fabric.  
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Cheryl - do you have the cover you mention? Do you think it's made of the pretty similar material as the one specifically made for the T@B? It is a lot less expensive so I may consider it - but being in AZ I will need it to be as heavy-duty as possible. I've seen many shade covers shredded over time from a couple of summers in our "but it's a dry heat" area - ha!  If the PahaQue cover is better quality, I will spend the extra $$ on it. Thanks - Michele
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

I have the cover Cheryl posted - Amazon sells it, too. I bought mine on Woot for $50. I thought I would give it a try. Even if it only lasts 1 year, I will feel as though I got my money out of it. It is not terribly thick, so I will be interested to see how it holds up to the snow and ice.

This is probably a stupid question, but I am about toil ask it anyway. :) I sometimes enjopy going out to watch TV into he T@b or just to hang out for a change of pace. If I do this in the winter, it is safe to do with the heat on or is that hazard of some kind? I was thinking of just using the shore power - not the propane as I am pretty sure the propane would present a carbon monoxide risk.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    jkjenn said:

I have the cover Cheryl posted - Amazon sells it, too. I bought mine on Woot for $50. I thought I would give it a try. Even if it only lasts 1 year, I will feel as though I got my money out of it. It is not terribly thick, so I will be interested to see how it holds up to the snow and ice.

This is probably a stupid question, but I am about toil ask it anyway. :) I sometimes enjopy going out to watch TV into he T@b or just to hang out for a change of pace. If I do this in the winter, it is safe to do with the heat on or is that hazard of some kind? I was thinking of just using the shore power - not the propane as I am pretty sure the propane would present a carbon monoxide risk.

Jenn, can you elaborate? As you have probably seen, we haven't picked up our LG yet. I am not sure what you are asking about the heat. Are you implying while cover is on? Your comments are invaluable to me as a newly.
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    Yes, I guess I am asking if it is safe to run the Alde boiler with he cover on.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    Gotcha. So, what cover did you buy? I hadn't hear of Woot until today, can't find anything. Wouldn't you think you might have condensation by leaving cover on? I am not an expert by no means.
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options

This is the one I bought. 

I can still crack the vent with no difficulty as I have vent cover and I would think here would be enough air from ground.

• Options

Jenn -- There is an outside Alde side vent (driver's side) on my 2014 T@B. I would probably check that to make sure it's not sucking the cover against the side of the T@B when you are running the heat.   

:-??
  • Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
    I bought the T@b cover through Little guy the same time I ordered my T@b Nov 2012.  Two years later and it is still in great shape.  The quality, the perfect fit and the two zippers over the door for easy entry into T@b without taking the cover off makes the rather high cost worth it.  The outside has faded a bit, but it has protected my bright red T@b so she still looks brand new.  I even figured a way to get it on by myself!  :) 
    June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options
    My T@B is parked in direct Florida sun on asphalt. I want to cover it to protect it from the sun and keep the colors bright and avoid the heat buildup inside. It sounds like you are happy with the way the cover has protected your T@B keeping the colors bright. Is it parked in the sun a lot?  
  • Options
    breakawaybreakaway Member Posts: 38
    We bought the custom fitted cover for our T@b and it works great. Ideal to keep sun, sap and bird droppings off it. We highly recommend it.
  • Options
    Ditto.  My PahaQue cover is one year old and a little faded, but still very tight-fitting.  Seams and zippers are in perfect shape.  I keep mine covered all the time.  We have intense sun here in Denver at 5,280 feet above sea level.
  • Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    I'm happy to hear that the T@B cover through Little Guy seems so satisfactory by so many.  Mine is expected to be delivered here tomorrow.  Glad to hear you can make it a one person job JBUG10.  I'm hoping I can do the same. Thanks for the input.
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    gilbutler, let me know if you needs some hints that help me get it on by myself.  It is one of those things that would be easier to show than try and write about it, but I will give it a shot. 
  • Options
    jbug10, I received my package today.  It's heavier than I expected and our T@B (at the dealer for minor warranty work) is tall enough that I'm impressed that you can put the cover on solo.  I would greatly appreciate any hints you care to pass on.  "You da girl!"

Gil
  • Options
    jbug10 please share your techniques with me also. I have one also that I recently received and have not tried to install it yet but will need to do soon.
    Jim, Kelseyville CA, 2013 T@B "Q", T@BCASA, Silver W/Yellow trim, TV: 2006 Honda Ridgeline 
  • Options

Jimbo -- I also put my cover (PahaQue) on solo.  I find that if I fold the cover inside-out when I take it off of T@B, all I have to do is plop it on top of T@B and unfold it.  I use the orange bungee cords to "mark" where the zippers are for the door.  I use a 4-ft step ladder, which I position by the T@B's door, and using the bungee cords as a point of reference, I know when I unfold the cover, the zippers will be in the correct position.

Play with it a couple of times and you'll get your own sequence.  It's totally doable with one person. 

:D
  • Options
    I do mine a little differently than Beth.  I make sure it is aligned up on the ground behind T@b meaning the door side of the cover is on the side of the door.  Actually I place it on the ground the way the cover is pulled off of T@b  (from the back of the trailer), if that makes sense.  Then I attach the orange bungee to the bungee loop on the cover closest to the door and the other end to the door handle.  Then I start walking around the trailer pulling the cover up and over until I get around to the front of the trailer.  The bungee attached to the door handle acts like a person standing on that side and holding down the side of the cover.  Sometimes it goes on first time, sometimes it takes a couple of tries, but I have never not been able to get it on by myself.
  • Options
    June, Thank you for the tip.  You were quite clear.  I like that creative approach that doesn't need a ladder or a helper.Thank you for pending the effort to share.

• Options
    Thank you Beth.  It's comforting to be able to put so much good information together.
  • Options
    Thanks June and Beth, two different approaches to play with. I am pretty sure I will need to use a step ladder to get the cover over the vent cover I installed. I thought of starting from the back also and attaching a rope to the center of the front of the cover and toss that over trailer and essentially use the rope to simply pull it over. I think once it is over the center of the roof and vent cover it would just slide on pretty easy form there. Then just a matter of centering in side to side and secure it as designed. Soloers have be inventive but we get it done. I will let you know what I ended up doing.

Thanks again for sharing your methods which give me food for thought and other workable methods. I think I will get a couple of the vinyl tire covers. I have used these on previous RV's and they do help prevent sun and weather damage to the tires. I will also try to find something to cover the exposed tongue and hitch. A small poly tarp should work for now.
  • Options

Jimbo -- Thanks for reminding me about the tongue & hitch.  I never got around to figuring out how to cover those parts last year.  I guess just wrapping it with a poly tarp and securing with bungees will do for the short term. 

:)>-