Options

Replacing or covering counters.

I would like to replace or cover the laminate counter tops with a new laminate. Has anyone done this? The table should not be too hard, more worried about the counter around sink and stove. 

Comments

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    If I were to do something,  I'd probably use this:

http://www.daichcoatings.com/spreadstone_countertop_kit.html

We used it on a large concrete counter top that wasn't done properly.  It was this or rip it out,  creating tons of dust and probably destroying some cabinets in the process.  We did it 3 years ago, and it still looks like new.  Very happy with it,  I'd do it again in a heart beat.  The counter top kit would do the T@B, and a whole regular kitchen.   I'm sure we had enough left over to do a T@B kitchen.   It was originally created to cover floors,  so it's pretty dang durable.  The video's show them applying over a laminate counter top. 
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    I've wondered about alternative countertop materials too.  The original laminate seems to hold up quite well, so it's not something I'd do unless they were irreplaceable for some reason or got real damaged somehow.

Obviously, solids like granite and quartz are out of the question-- too heavy and the bumpy ride would likely crack it over time.

But what about Corian?  It's solid too but lighter in weight, and it's strong.  But how heavy is it compared to the wood laminate we have now?  Just thinking out loud.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    There is so little counter top, I'd also only replace if damaged.  Corian would work, it's what's in the Sofitel, might even be able to get it  from the factory. It's hard to work with if u have to fit it yourself.

The Spreadstone stuff would only add ounces. I did our kitchen counter in probably 6 hours
     over 3 days.  

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    db_cooper said:
    There is so little counter top, I'd also only replace if damaged.  Corian would work, it's what's in the Sofitel, might even be able to get it  from the factory. It's hard to work with if u have to fit it yourself.

The Spreadstone stuff would only add ounces. I did our kitchen counter in probably 6 hours
     over 3 days.  

I have always wanted an excuse to use spreadstone or roller rock. :)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,500
    db_cooper I'd like to use it on the floor! As much as I love hardwood floors I'm not too fond of that particular flooring look. Thanks for the product intro!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    If our marmoleum flooring ever gets too bad, I'll probably Spreadstone it.  :)

• Options
    I like marmoleum! It takes a beating and still looks great! The preschool in our building put it in their arts and crafts/play room and it still looks really good.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,927
    @db_cooper, own an early 2017 sofitel. Countertop and table are formica type over compressed composite as far as I can tell. No corian for sure. Anyone else have something different?

2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options

Must have been the T@bitha model then.  I know one of the packages had corian at one time.

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    I've made a couple small laminate counters. It wasn't hard, but I glued the laminate to plywood first, then cut and fit the counter as a single piece. I'm not sure how much more difficult it would be to cut the laminate separately and try to fit it in place, or whether you can glue new laminate over old. If you are really committed to this, it might be easier and neater to just remove and replace the entire top.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    CatPhilippeCatPhilippe Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for all your suggestions. It is purely a cosmetic change.... I am kind of picky about the look... ;-). And do not like the brown "20 year old trend look" that my 2013 T@b is showing.... (a designers dilemma)! 
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited March 2017
    ScottG - When I remodeled my rec area, we glued new laminate over old with no problem - just had to make sure there was good adhesion and evenly pressed into place. Had to remove and replace the edge trim. Adhesive on both surfaces. Since both surfaces had adhesive, was tricky positioning - think we used some kind of nonstick paper between and then slowely removed as we pressed the new laminate to the old. We cut the sink openings after all was in place. The T@B counter is small so would be alot easier to position I'd think.
    Cooktop is easy to remove. Sink a little more work.

Edit-Add: Can't recall if we sanded the old laminate to roughen it up or not.
  • Options
    Have always thought the gray counter and fridge front were odd choices as they really don't go with the rest of the T@Bs warm interior. Have often thought of changing both.
    Any ideas about changing the color of the fridge panel? Paint?
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Have always thought the gray counter and fridge front were odd choices as they really don't go with the rest of the T@Bs warm interior. Have often thought of changing both.
    I think I  would go with contact paper. It can be removed. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Jenn - Don't see any way one could apply contact paper with all the rounded edges. Maybe using the material they use for graphic wraps as I think it can be heated so it shrinks around curved edges <- At least that's how I think they get it to wrap evenly around vehicle curves.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Jenn - Don't see any way one could apply contact paper with all the rounded edges. Maybe using the material they use for graphic wraps as I think it can be heated so it shrinks around curved edges <- At least that's how I think they get it to wrap evenly around vehicle curves.
    Good point.

• Options
    PCL its a great place to put your ' states visited' map
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Good point.

• Options
    You know, you can order laminate that applies with adhesive over your existing counter top.

• Options
    JonInHoustonJonInHouston Member Posts: 9
    I'm about to recover my counter & table with this stuff:

https://www.spartanepoxies.com/metallic-epoxy?product_id=69
    2005 T@B Dutchman
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Lots of great colors available in that product. Photos when you’re finished please!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    We protect our counters with a trimmed Yoga mat.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,511
    Nomad said:

https://www.rmwraps.com/mini-fridge-gallery/
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Marceline said:
    Nomad said:

https://www.rmwraps.com/mini-fridge-gallery/
    I have been considering printing a custom decal for the face of mine.