Options

Odor from black water vent

2»

Comments

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I had this problem once last summer. Any chance you had a garlic loaded pizza? :blush:
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    db - Yep, the black vent on top is where the aux fan for the AC draws in it's air. It's up there so out of the way of the hot air the AC expels.
    Except that my T@b does not have an auxiliary a/c fan and I have that black vent.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Jenn - Hmmm - It comes down into the top of my AC box where the fan is. Must have forgot the fan in yours - Call Ed :-)
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    Is the odor only noticeable on warm days at a site with full hookups and both tank valves open with the central discharge mod?
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Is the odor only noticeable on warm days at a site with full hookups and both tank valves open with the central discharge mod?
    It is hardly noticeable and only when the air is still. Gray valve open black closed. If you have the courage take a whiff at the vent in question. All I am saying is that the tank vent is best if it vents above the roof line and not down at  pedestrian level. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    Look on the bright side, Ratkity--at least now you know why every time you tried to fill the freshwater tank, the toilet overflowed instead!  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    ScottG said:
    Look on the bright side, Ratkity--at least now you know why every time you tried to fill the freshwater tank, the toilet overflowed instead!  ;-)
    Bahahhahahaha, too funny. I wondered why it only took 8 gallons and not 11! :wink:

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    db_cooper said:
    There's a vent on our roof, and one on the side. I figured the one on the side was grey water vent, and roof was the black tank vent.   Don't know why I think that,  but it would make sense.  Separate tanks need separate vents,  hopefully they put the stinky one higher up. :)

It's not apparent if this question got answered, so forgive me if I'm being redundant...

The vent you point to on the side is for both the gray and black water tanks. The gray vent pipe originates just above the trap arm for the sink and extends horizontally behind the bathroom wall to the spot where Dale attached his riser. A separate vent pipe from the black tank rises up next to and behind the toilet and joins the horizontal vent pipe from the sink inside the wall cavity.

The thing that comes out of the roof and actually looks like a vent pipe has nothing whatsoever to do with the plumbing.

If you check out this thread...

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/3877/anyone-know-what-this-thing-under-the-trailer-is/p1

...you'll find my plumbing schematic for a 2015 S. It should give you a sense of how everything fits together.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    If the smell persists, I have found that by pouring a half cup of Dawn detergent down the toilet and driving around so it can slosh the tank really well, it eliminates smells.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    A half cup? The smell's gone cuz it's all encased in bubbles!  :open_mouth:
    If the smell persists, I have found that by pouring a half cup of Dawn detergent down the toilet and driving around so it can slosh the tank really well, it eliminates smells.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    ChanW, That's called a bubble bath! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Did you ever get rid of the smell? Did you try water in the P trap?

BTW, I asked Austin what the black round vent was for and @PXLated remembered mostly correctly. It isn't for the fan, necessarily, but it is to let the heat escape from the a/c unit. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Never really had a problem but on rare occasions when I passed the vent I could detect a slight oder. The point I was trying to make was waste vents should exist at the highest point if possible not at nose level. P traps were not an issue since shower and sink are used daily.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Ahhh, in previous threads it was described as bringing in cool air.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @Dalehelman - I'm still thinking about your intermittent issue (PXL - get that pitbull comment out of your head). I think it was Jenn said temps could be causing faster fermentation and gas production - a very probable explanation. You've ruled out everything and even put in a snorkel (up periscope!). Could your method of flushing through the vent pipe not an aggressive enough spray of water for cleaning? The clear elbow of my slinky has the flush port pointed toward the tanks (my black was 6 gal, I think I said 8 before). The water spray is strong enough to get the floor of the tank clean of any "pyramiding" or tissue paper residue. This was just some thoughts. Since it's not constant and the obvious things have been eliminated, I'm inclined to go with the temperature and weather conditions.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The only time I've ever had an odor at the waste vent was when I was either dumping and one of my tank's valves was open or when at a full service campsite and one of my tank's valves were open. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    The only time I've ever had an odor at the waste vent was when I was either dumping and one of my tank's valves was open or when at a full service campsite and one of my tank's valves were open. 
    That makes sense if the venting is connected plus @Dalehelman does mention "Gray valve open black closed" above.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    Kinda sorry I started this one, but thanks for all the advice. You people are great.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Since the die is cast you may as well fix the title. Odor not Oder.
    Or is Odor from a GOT episode?
  • Options