Options

Best place to splice for rear 12v outlet?

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
I would like to add a 12v outlet in the back of my T@b. What are the best wires to splice? The reading lights?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    As I recall, that's where others have done it. Remember at least one thread about adding USB ports back there and that was the easiest way to do it.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    No, the gauge of the reading lights is very small. It would be better to run a new set of wires. My 12V USB I installed will only allow one item to be charged at a time. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Oh really - Interesting.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Some USB devices take more juice than others. I have chargers whose output is 5V, but the amperage ranges from 0.6 to 2.1a. I don't know how built-in outlets deal with variable needs of the devices.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Verna said:
    No, the gauge of the reading lights is very small. It would be better to run a new set of wires. My 12V USB I installed will only allow one item to be charged at a time. 
    Interesting - I haven't looked at the wires, yet.  Did you run it straight from the converter? 12# wire?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    12 gauge is larger than what is running to the lights.

I haven't changed it yet since it quit working. It went out in late February and I've been busy since then. I have the replacement USB, just not enough time right now. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    I was hoping to use a USB adapter in our 12 v outlets.  Now I wonder if that will work...
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    SAM said:
    I was hoping to use a USB adapter in our 12 v outlets.  Now I wonder if that will work...
    SAM, I installed the USB outlet by splicing into existing wiring. If your 12V outlets are factory installed, you'll be OK. The factory uses wiring of appropriate size for what the wiring is feeding. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Oh good.  Now to see if they laid 12 v wire next to the 110 outlet in the cabin rear.  That needs to be changed to a 12 v.  I need somewhere to plug in my iPad mini.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I have tapped into both rear lights and installed 12 volt outlets. The wires to the lights was more than adequate on our 2015. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    Not to hijack the post, but the way @jkjenn phrased the question (12v to the converter) got me wondering...

I know the 12v items in the T@B will work when not connected to shore power (Jensen, fridge, etc).  But... are the 12v outlets also live?  Or do they go through the converter and are only live when plugged into shore power?

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

• Options
    The 12 v outlets are live on and off shore power.  

• Options
    HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    Thanks, @SAM I should really stop doubting myself!  But I appreciate the helpful community taking the time to confirm these sometimes silly questions :)

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

• Options
    Verna said:
    Do you mean better to run a new set of wires to the reading lights? I noticed there are no empty spots left on my converter. 

I also went through my the diagram that Mike posted in another thread of the converter and wondered also found some threads where Mash2 tapped into the pump wires. I am so weeding is the fan wires might be a better choice. The pump can draw up to 5 amps and the fan, especially after my upgrade is about 1/2 of that. However, the fan will run more often.The lights share the fuse with all lughts, the tv, and Jensen. 

All of these are running off 10 amp fuses.

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,449
    I'd be inclined to tap in near the converter to whichever circuit already powers the existing 12V ports over the sink. However, I'd have to go out for a look-see before I could say which circuit that is.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    I'd be inclined to tap in near the converter to whichever circuit already powers the existing 12V ports over the sink. However, I'd have to go out for a look-see before I could say which circuit that is.

Yes, that is what I was thinking - near the converter. I think it depends on which circuit powers those. I will dig out my little Fuse Buddy to figure that out. The Fuse Buddy was a good investment. The outlets I picket up are actually fast charging USB.

• Options
    @jkjenn I was actually thinking of running a second set of wires to the USB port, but replacing the existing wiring back to the converter, with a heavier gauge of wire, would work. Sometimes a 2nd pair of eyes/thoughts come in handy!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna said:
    @jkjenn I was actually thinking of running a second set of wires to the USB port, but replacing the existing wiring back to the converter, with a heavier gauge of wire, would work. Sometimes a 2nd pair of eyes/thoughts come in handy!
    I wish your magic wand would just make them appear, lol.

• Options
    Her magic wand makes things disappear not appear Jenn :-)
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Her magic wand makes things disappear not appear Jenn :-)

She needs a new wand. :wink:

• Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452

I have tapped into both rear lights and installed 12 volt outlets. The wires to the lights was more than adequate on our 2015. 

I agree with Dale. I've done extensive tracing and diagrammig of the wiring and in fact, the 12V outlet wiring that's above the sink is in the light blue wire loop, which also has all the lights.  On mine, it seems all the things in the ceiling share the same branch. 
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA