Options

propane gauge

Tried this week to use one of those magnetic strip propane gauge.  For me, they are a waste of money.  I couldn't see the gauge inside the propane compartment.  So, I purchased a screw on gauge from Walmart for $28.  Was very happy about this purchase until we went to Costco today.  They are selling tanks with a built in gauge for $25.  Hope someone can benefit from my mistake. 

Comments

• Options
    Spruce1Spruce1 Member Posts: 100
    We picked up this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Products-024-1001-Propane-Level-Indicator/dp/B01C5RQJHS/ref=pd_sim_263_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01C5RQJHS&pd_rd_r=RE2T03JZGVXGB2JA8AKW&pd_rd_w=3egsm&pd_rd_wg=GKC6L&psc=1&refRID=RE2T03JZGVXGB2JA8AKW

A bit spendy at $40 but it sure seems accurate.  Because it attaches to the tank with a magnet I can move it easily between tanks.  The model we have uses bluetooth and an app on our iPhone.  They have a model too that has a display you can mount in the camper.
    2014 T@B-S
    2019 Honda Ridgeline, AWD, V6, 5,000 lbs towing capacity
    Minnesota
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    edited April 2017
    I just picked up one of these at my local U-Haul this week--not sure if it's the same as the Costco unit, but $30 bucks is still a pretty good price. The gauge is activated by a magnet attached to a float integrated into the tank valve, so it should be accurate.

https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Propane-Tanks-Heaters/U-S-20lb-Propane-Tank-With-Gas-Gauge?id=13318

I can't yet vouch for how well it works, but I learned about it on this board and those that have it spoke highly of it.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ScottG, @Spruce1, @drpprmt I purchased first one of the tanks like the U-Haul, with the built-in gauges, last year and it worked so well. I have since purchased a second one and it is just absolutely great!  If I remember to check the gauge before going to bed, I never run out of propane during the night. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    drpprmtdrpprmt Member Posts: 117
    I just installed the new gauge and am not sure I am satisfied.  It is a bit long and puts a tight turn in the hose going to the regulator.  Am a bit apprehensive about the strain while everything is bouncing when traveling.  Any thoughts?  If this is a #20 tank I may just go with one with a built in gauge.
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    I had a camco gauge I bought from Amazon once.  After 6 months, it began to leak and drained my tank overnight..bye bye.

They work OK--just don't think that because you're in the green it will make it through the night.  They're an estimation at best.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    @wizard1880, this is a built-in gauge, not the add-on Camco gauge. Look at the U-Haul link above in ScottG's post. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Unless the gauge is operated by a float (which I'm guessing it is) their usability is sketchy at best.  Float style would be ideal!

There's composite tanks available which are translucent, allowing you to see the level of propane inside.  They're awfully expensive unfortunately.  But they save several pounds of tongue weight if that's a priority.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    Yes and a luggage scale will give you a good idea, too.  But you need to remove the tank each time you measure.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Out of curiosity, I weighed my 20# propane tanks (brand new - had first fill) after one emptied over the last cold weekend. It probably had a gallon of propane left in the "empty", but wasn't sure. It was a pita to use a digital (people) scale to weigh it! Silly scales. They don't register until the weight is over 12-25 lbs. That means I had to stand on it and do MATH. The horror!

There are different manufacturer's of the OPD valves inside. Some overflow valves will allow 5 gallons of propane inside, some just 4.5. My "empty" tank took 3.5 gallons (4.2 lbs weight per gallon of propane). Before topping it off, it weighed 22#. So for my two tanks (manufactured at the same company and time), are full at 38 lbs. I also realized my regulator appears to be upside down, but I'm not sure. The dual tank switch points to the tank that is empty LOL. I repaired that by my trusty label maker! Also marked which tank was which.

I hate to say this, but the most accurate and quick way I can tell how much propane is left is the "hot water test". Pour a cup down the side of the tank and feel the side. When the area turns from hot to cold, that's where the propane level is. Add-on gauges are also highly dependent on temperature. They are notorious for leaking, and pressure is maintained in a tank unless it's totally purged. I love the concept of the composite tanks! Internal float tanks too. Too pricey considering I can weigh or do the hot water test.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Yep, I think it was Verna who first brought the U-Haul tank to my attention. It's made by Worthington and does feature an internal float. It's available from several sources, but U-Haul's price is the best I've seen..

2015 T@B S

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 929
    The empty or tare weight (TW) is permanently marked on all portable LPG cylinders.  Usually on the collar that protects the valve. Most steel 20# tanks are ~18 pounds.

This tank is 8.2 kg (18 pounds)

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709

mandt said:

I have this and am very pleased with the accuracy. Since I know ABOUT when I'll get low, I'll use it and when I take the tank to be filled, the outcome pretty much matches what this gauge indicated. At first I wasn't sure I'd be able to handle getting the tank in/out (being short and not strong) but I stand on the tongue and am able to get it in and out fairly easily!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options

ScottG said:

Yep, I think it was Verna who first brought the U-Haul tank to my attention. It's made by Worthington and does feature an internal float. It's available from several sources, but U-Haul's price is the best I've seen..

I totally love this concept too. When it gets into the yellow, does that indicate a percentage mark (like math involved) or is there an approximate gallon amount left?
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    There's no calibration indicated on the guage. I suppose you could figure it out by weighing the tank periodically as the gas is drawn down.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I still have a bit of propane at the bottom of the yellow scale, but not enough to keep the fridge going. So, I consider the gauge built into the tank to be one of the better investments I've made!  Now, I do have two full 20 lb tanks without gauges.......I guess I'll be using them for the Little Red Campfire this summer. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    V, I replaced the logs in my Little Red Campfire with something called Dragon Glass. It's meant for outside propane fire pits. Due to the incomplete burn (intentional) with L'l Red, the logs would get soot everywhere. Easily blown off. I think we had a discussion about that a while ago. Another friend used vermiculite, but you mentioned that wasn't meant for the heat of a propane fire. I put 5 lbs of black Dragon Glass (Amazon - there were limited other colors) and it covered the propane ring perfectly. Soot was still made, but minor and in the center of the ring area, not all over. It's heavy so it doesn't blow away and it's made for this type of use.
  • Options
    drpprmtdrpprmt Member Posts: 117
    Took back my Camco gauge.  It leaked and also put a huge bind in the tubing to the regulator.  Picked up the Costco tank and am very satisfied.  Only problem is the gauge is facing backward so is a bit difficult to read but still very doable.  Whole tank cost less than the Camco gauge.
  • Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 451

ScottG said:

There's no calibration indicated on the guage. I suppose you could figure it out by weighing the tank periodically as the gas is drawn down.

On mine, when the needle is in the middle of the yellow, the tank is half empty. I tracked this on a recent trip.
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    @SAM...I was wondering about the same thing...similarly:
         http://www.levelcheck.com/us/
    Most of the aforementioned gauges are based on pressure, which varies a lot with temperature.  Here in the West it can be 32deg in the morning (gauge reads empty), and 70deg in the later afternoon (gauge full).  It's a pain, but I've been taking the tank out and weighing it (17# empty, 37# full), every month or so...so a nice compromise would be one of these ultrasonic jobs.  I've read about the ones that mount to the bottom of the tank, then read out via Bluetooth to a device or your phone, but they all seem to have a number of bugs (and they're pricey).  

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2017
    The 'fine print' at the bottom of the Amazon page sez it won't work on a tank with a center weld.
    Both my Tab tank and my spare have a center weld...
    Edit: I see in the 'Questions' area:
    my 20 # tanks have center welds. I don't see any that don't. The directions say it works with 20# tanks. Does it.. I hope so.
    Answer:
    It probably won't work on the welds but move a half inch away from the weld for a reading. Most welds are at half tank so the small move up or down will not affect the reading 
    I wonder if it will work with the retaining clamp tight on the tank.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    MegaMega Member Posts: 69
    I had apparently bought a cheap gauge. It registered in the mid green and never moved. Totally unreliable.
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    Does anyone know if the the costco tanks with a gauge are the same design with the internal float, as the worthington? 

2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    There are different brands of tanks with gauge that Costco sells. 

I checked with the brand name and features on the web for the 2 tanks I have to validate that those tanks did have the internal float.

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB