Options

Outback Stabilizers

SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
Those of you with the Outback model... how many stabilizer leveling blocks are you typically using.  They gave me 10 blocks with the trailer, but I'm using 8 of those under the two backend stabilizers when parked at my off-site storage facility.  Will I need additional blocks?
2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

OreoTAB said:

Those of you with the Outback model... how many stabilizer leveling blocks are you typically using.  They gave me 10 blocks with the trailer, but I'm using 8 of those under the two backend stabilizers when parked at my off-site storage facility.  Will I need additional blocks?

Holy cow! I have never needed to use that many, even when in a crazy camping spot. I don't own enough to go that high. At one site, I used some flat rocks to help out. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
    My T@B's storage spot is on a bit of a slope.   Just wondering how many are necessary in a regular campsite.
    2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    My sister's Outback typically took 4 blocks per rear stabilizer. Sometimes she needed to borrow blocks from me if it was a sloped site with no other options to move the trailer into a more optimal position.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    I normally use 2 or 3 for the rear stabilizers if the ground is relatively level.  If the ground slopes down at the back then yeah, bring extra!
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    Rolltide82Rolltide82 Member Posts: 89
    2 for rear on mine 1 for the fronts
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    edited April 2017
    On level ground (i.e. my gravel pad at home),  I need two blocks in the back, and I use one in the front.  We've camped in a few crazy spots,  but usually if one side needs a bunch, the other sides don't.  Instead of carrying more blocks for the off chance,  I'd either improvise or just not worry about it.  If you get 3 legs down, it's pretty stable I think.  Come to think of it, I carry a collapsible stool from Walmart that would make a nice tall block in a pinch.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Never use blocks to level the camper. Have always been able to manage just fine utilizing -- which camping spot, which way we park, and which direction we sleep. 
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    When I bought my T@B from the original owner, they included a set of "Lego" blocks (qty 10) and Andersen Tuff Pads (qty 3).  I often find I use every one of them.  I'm looking at some different options; e.g., Ox Blox or something similar.  I find it is often a stretch to get those rear stabilizers supported. 
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,595
    @Seaduster ;  I use wood blocks in addition to the Lego Levers.
    On Each Leveler 'Foot' I've mounted a cut-down 2x8 board, screwed to the foot and painted black.  I also have four 2x8x8 Red painted blocks.

Even on a level paved surface I use the Black & Red combination as it reduces the angle of the stabilizer arm.   From time to time while camping another Lego Lever is added to the stack as needed . . . 85% of the time Legos are only used under one tire for driver-passenger leveling.

Reference:

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    @MuttonChops I like your system.  For myself, I live and camp in a very wet environment (Western Washington).  Not sure wood is the best material for me.  :s  

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    You can get a piece of 2x6 non wood decking board made from recycled plastic bottles and wood bits.  These deck boards are basically water proof/restart and will not rot due to moisture.  Nice idea, BTW, MuttonChops.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
    You can get a piece of 2x6 non wood decking board made from recycled plastic bottles and wood bits.  These deck boards are basically water proof/restart and will not rot due to moisture.  Nice idea, BTW, MuttonChops.
    cheers
    I've considered that.  I've used Trex for other projects before, but it seems potentially slippery when wet.  Will check into it again.

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    You can rough up the surface of a Trex board to give it more grip, or glue some 40-60 girt wet and dry sandpaper to it, which will not slip… 
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.