Options

Mod day gone bad....

ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
Yesterday was a gorgeous unusually warm day here in the Pacific Northwest. 80*, sun shining, perfect day to get things done on the T@B day...HA! Armed with my bolt for the trailer jack, tube, ends, straps, nuts, bolts for the waste hose storage tube, spare tire rack kit with "U" bolts to attach to the front jack tube, and all necessary tools, I set out to install, conquer, and modify. Chest proudly puffed out, I set about my modifications. First, jack crank bolt. Remove top from crank assembly, remove pin holding crank handle, remove handle, install bolt, replace pin, test (thanks Dale!), replace top, done! Confidence building, now for the next task...remove spare from underneath trailer. Air gun in hand, proper size socket for nuts securing spare to holder...under the trailer I go. (This is EXACTLY why I wanted to do this mod!) BRRRIP, BRRRRIP, bolts off, spare now wedging air gun between trailer, and ground. :s After a couple of minutes of squirming, moving, sliding, finally freed air gun, and slid spare out. Grabbed wrench to remove spare mount, successfully removed, crawled back out, and reminded self that this is why I'm doing this. Picked up spare, began rolling towards front of trailer, HMMMM, this feels really soft. ( NOTE TO ALL: CHECK THE AIR IN YOUR SPARE!!!! Mine only had 10 psi.) Ok, compressor is going, grab air chuck, and air gauge. Proceed to fill tire with recommended amount of air ( mine takes 50 psi, and I know it will lose some over time if not in use), grab air gauge, check air, still low, add more. Go to check again...POP!  :o The ONLY part that was left in my hand was the little round top that goes on the valve stem, the rest (spring, tube, gauge, and plunger) were strewn all over the driveway! NEVER in 30 years being in the tire business has that happened before, NEVER! After gathering said parts, going to trash can and depositing said parts, found back-up air gauge and filled tire to proper pressure. (should have had a clue at this point, it wasn't gonna get better!)
Now, spare tire rack. Got kit, and spare tire, proceeded to install tire on said rack. Bolts through back side into square form-fitted holes, check. Now reading directions as to avoid any further complications, 'place washers, lock washers on to bolts', check. Use supplied nuts to secure bolts to rack........NO "supplied" bolts! Ok, I'll just "mock" it up, and get the bolts tomorrow at the hardware store, no biggie. Finish installing "U" bolts, rubber spacer, and nylock nuts on jack tube...done, finish tomorrow. Next, waste water hose tube.
Now, since things had started to already go awry, I thought (thank goodness), I'd better give this a "test" fit before gluing the ends on. Laid 4", 60" long pipe on ground, grab waste hose, insert straight , trailer end......too big to fit...REALLY? Ok, flip it around, try the other end...same thing to big to fit inside. At this point, frustration building, I thought, "Better just pick stuff up, and call it a day" HA, HA!
get everything picked up, turn around to make sure I got it all, and just happened to look at the front of my truck for some unknown reason before closing the garage door...... :o...broken right front headlight! I had been NO WHERE near the truck the whole time.  :s
That's it, I'm going to drink a beer, I've had about enough for one day. Off to the Man Cave I go, retrieve said beer, open top, take a drink, phone rings...... :| I can see on the caller ID that it is my DW Liz. "Yes, dear, what's up?" Reply "I just wanted you to know, I got the shelf for the inside of the trailer with the brackets so you can put it in tomorrow" Reply..."Thanks dear,  :s, I'll see you when you get home, love you." Reply, "love you too, see you soon". Hang up. At this point, I had the choice to either laugh, or cry, I chose laugh, continue to drink beer, after all, tomorrow IS another day, and the good part is....I JUST re-stocked my beer supply! =) Hope everyone has a great day!
2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
Spokane, Wa.
Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    There isn't an emoji for crying while laughing and rolling on the ground, Eric ;). Today will be a better day!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    edited May 2017
    Having been in the trades for a number of years, yes, there are days where it seems "everything you touch turns to $#*&," to borrow the phrase we used to use. You did the right thing! Back away, have a brew, try again later. Must be the stars or something....

PS: If you think a spare tire can be tricky to "drop," try a '54 Plymouth Hy-Drive tranny sitting on your chest when you're only 16 and weigh all of 120 lbs!! :o  (Why?? Trying to impress the girlfriend whose car it was, of course.... ;) )
  • Options
    @irvingj, That's too funny! A friend of mine did the same thing with a tranny in a '62 Plymouth Valiant! All I could hear was a very muffled (lack of oxygen)...help, help me, help.
    Just glad when the spare dropped, I had my arm out of the way. I'd have sun-burnt knees and ankles today! ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    foxdenfoxden Member Posts: 148
    @ericnliz This may be a bad time to ask but....I also want to mount my spare on the jack tube and you mentioned a kit.  What kit did you use and, in theory, would any additional parts be needed other than that kit?  Hope your day goes better and would love to have any tips for installation.  Once it is complete, that is.  :)
    2017 Max S - Silver/Red - T@briolet -  2016 Jeep Cherokee - Fredericksburg, TX
  • Options
    @foxden, I ordered mine on Amazon. There are several different configurations to choose from, with different prices as well. The one I ordered is: MAXXHAUL 70214 Powder Coat Black Trailer Spare Tire Carrier $16.99
    To mount to the jack tube, you'll need: two "U" bolts, with washers, and I would recommend NYLOCK nuts to secure the "U" bolts. Word of advise, take the mount with you, so you make sure you get the right size "U" bolts. I also bought a rubber "pad" spacer for use between the "U" bolts and the jack tube to avoid damage, and so it wouldn't have tendency to slide around at all. Another suggestion: Mount the spare tire to the tire carrier first, then put it up on the trailer frame for support. makes it a WHOLE lot easier to adjust the "U" bolts on the jack tube. Mine is all installed, I just have to get the two missing nuts for the space between the tire carrier, and the spare itself, I won't have to remove the carrier from the jack tube. Thank goodness!
    If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    foxdenfoxden Member Posts: 148
    Exactly what I needed!  Thanks.
    2017 Max S - Silver/Red - T@briolet -  2016 Jeep Cherokee - Fredericksburg, TX
  • Options
    @foxden, Just glad I could help. Good luck with your install.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    And now I'm off to go get headlight(s), missing bolts, return sewer hose tube ends, straps, nuts, and bolts, new, and (hopefully improved) tire air gauge, and after we see how THAT goes.....maybe tackle the shelf my dear wife got to install. To be continued............... :)
    Self preservation/ sanity thought...get more beer while I'm out & about! =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    "When  you are up to your --- in alligators it may be difficult to remember your initial objective was to drain the swamp"
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770

ericnliz said:

@Verna, The good part to yesterday is: 1) All body parts still intact
                                                                          2) No bandages were required
                                                                          3) No animals were harmed
                                                                          4) All broken/missing parts can be replaced, or acquired
                                                                          5) I'm still smiling, it's just life! :)

And the BEST news? :rofl: I got a great laugh outta it. Only cuz I've done worse. The bolts were loose on mah tire. I supported the tire with a coupla bricks as I screwed off the bolts. That worked until one brick turned over on it's side, with my hand and arm still under the tire. And it never fails, about that time, I have to take a bio break!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770

"When  you are up to your --- in alligators it may be difficult to remember your initial objective was to drain the swamp"

:lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Ok, Got more beer. (Gotta have your priorities straight!) Also got the bolts, and two new headlights. Bolts installed, spare tire mod complete!  :)
    Now, to the headlights..... First, bear in mind, I'm working on a truck that is 45 years old, in good shape, but still, 45 years old. Headlight # 1) remove outer decorative ring (screws and holders pretty corroded) screws removed, ring off
                                           2) remove inner screws attaching retaining ring for headlight (again, corroded) successful                                                    removing 2 screws, other one left, not so much, but still have room to remove headlight                                                    connector, and broken headlight.
                                           3) plug new headlight in, check...no light....REALLY? Unplug, clean connector, apply dielectric                                              grease to both light connections, and light, re-plug, still no light, wiggle connection, LIGHT!
                                            4) Go get Liz (so I don't have to keep running back & forth, plugging, un-plugging, and turning                                              lights on & off
                                            5) finally, after cleaning, plugging, un-plugging, lights on, lights off...success, WHEW! :)
    Now, to the other light...Same sequence as other side, right up to #2, then....not so good :s Tried to remove third screw, screwdriver end broke (flat tip) Now, bear in mind (again) I DON'T buy cheap tools! This was a Craftsman screwdriver I've used many, many times on rusty, corroded screws, with success. So...left the (ok) "stubborn" screw in, and did the same way I had done before. Now, down to #3, SAME scenario, plug in...no light....AGAIN, really? Finally, after on, off with plug, lights on & off, got it working. Putting everything back together was all good, until the trim ring decided to take a hunk out of my pinky! ( And just to think, yesterday I had POWER TOOLS, and no injuries!) Didn't even notice at first, until I looked up & thought, hmmmm, "don't remember any red paint around the truck", then Liz says "You know you're bleeding, right?" By this time, I just wanted to get things put back together. Finally got it all back together, re-checked everything more than once, high beam, low beam, off & on several times..DONE  :)
    On her way out the door, heading for work was..."So, you going to put the shelf in the trailer today?" :|:o Reply "Maybe tomorrow dear, I've had about enough fun for one day! Have a good day at work" :)
    Good thing I bought more beer! =)
    To be continued with the "shelf saga" tomorrow! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    @Verna, I think @Ratkity found the right emoji you were referring to! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Wow, great minds think alike... Had my '72 Blazer for over 30 years, but finally sold it about 15 years ago to a guy who's going to (someday) restore it. I'd had that truck longer than my wife!

Two trips to the west coast & back, one to KC & back, west coast from Berkeley to San Diego, east coast from Montreal to WDC... lottsa memories! Still wax nostalgic every time I see one of those old trucks. Rings around the headlights? Yep, BTDT, too! (Always used a lot of Nev'r-Seize!)

Had about 250K on it when I let it go. Was just thinking the other day that I miss our old DM T@B in a very similar manner! Simple, sturdy, maybe a little crude, but effective. Note: Still have dreams about that Blazer!
  • Options
    @irvingj, Yep, can't beat the ones you can actually work on. Mine is approaching 500K, have had it since '92, I'm the third owner, original motor. Still runs really well.
    The rings around the headlights are what hold the light to the housing. Separate adjuster screws though, and they still work. Chrome 'square' around the ring that affixes to the grill. 
    Intend on keepin' the ol' truck 'till she dies! =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    @ericnliz I would like to know what materials you finally end up with for the sewer hose tube and connections. I want to do this mod and get the sewer hose out of the propane/battery bucket.  Thanks!

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    Holy smokes, Eric, I think you shoulda' started the day with a beer. (Hmmm, maybe you did...)

Thanks for the laugh! (RDWHAHB!)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Lucky you, Eric, that you live in the Eastern part of the state--near Seattle we just experienced the strongest swarm of thunderstorms in over 5 years!  We had 3 strikes within 200 yards of our house!  Thankfully we had the early part of the day dry...they didn't arrive until 3pm or so.  I hear they we're heading over the Cascades toward Idaho today.  Be careful out there! :o
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @wizard1880 we had a light and boom show during the night, and thunder this afternoon. It's the season for it here, though. Glad you are safe!

@dmerzbac I made one last weekend but it is too narrow for both Rhino hose end caps so right now they are in a plastic grocery bag hooked over the propane knob. I used a 4" wide, 60" long pvc pipe(as someone had recommended, can't remember who), end cap that I gorilla glued on, and a fitting for the other end that includes a screw on cap. I need to take pics. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    I'm enjoying your mod saga Eric.  Seemingly simple jobs will turn deadly without warning.  I recently had the same experience replacing a T@B turn signal.  How tough could that be?  Resistant caulk and very short wires did add to the troubles...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    @wizard1880, I heard about the thunderstorms you folks had over there, as my youngest son lives/works in Seattle, my oldest son lives in Graham, as does one of my younger brothers, and oldest daughter in Tacoma. Had a few boomers here, but I've seen worse. Rain came down pretty good for a while, but waited 5 minutes, and it stopped. Little bit this AM, but not bad. Glad to hear you're ok, and safe. :)
    @dmerzbac, I'm still kicking that one around for the sewer hose. Until I come up with something that will accommodate the hose with both ends still attached it will live in the front tub when not in use. ;)
    @ScottG , No, don't start with beer, but at times make up for the fact that I didn't later! =)
    @TerryV6 , I think I've had a little Gremlin following me around this week. :s I didn't even mention some of the other mishaps that have occurred around the house! Thinkin' about just takin' the day off today. At the most, go out & measure and cut for the shelf mod. Funny how it's the simplest things that go sideways the most. :o
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    Great outlook, Eric.  I just returned from a cross country trip during which a branch fell on my Jeep and there was a still unexplained inch of water in the driver's side floor mat.  Then as we left to return, the windshield wipers, both of them, started falling apart.  I managed to clamp them back together enough to make it 1440 miles of rainy weather.  The taillight fell out of the T@B. The rubber trim on the front right started flapping and The plastic edge trim on the right was flapping in the wind by one screw!  She's heading to the dealership today as this is the first trip after a new skin and it appears the tech (who no longer works there) neglected to silicone everything back in.  Oh, and I managed to sprain my ankle and hurt my back by doing...nothing.  But I had a great visit with my family, took a couple awesome family portraits and had a great road trip with my brother!  
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    @Smullis7, Wow, and I thought I was having a bad week!.Glad to hear you made it back in one piece. 
    I had the same "mystery puddle" in my '72 P/U, and found out when I had a new windshield installed, they didn't get the corner of the windshield gasket seated properly and it was leaking down the door post on to the floor.
    Sounds like horrible workmanship on your poor T@B, and can't say as I blame you for taking it back! Hope they get it back in to shape for you.
    You and your brother now have some memories that won't be soon forgotten, and you'll have a good laugh over them in the future. Hope your ankle and back are better, and on the mend.
    Thanks for sharing, and let us know how things turn out.  :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    I just dropped M@bel M@y off with Sun City.  Not only are they going to completely redo the job, but they are going to correct the quick fix Gorilla glue job my dad did to one of the tail lights...he was trying to help...but foaming Gorilla glue was not the answer.  :bawling:  I'll have it back when I return from my business trip next Friday. =)
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    @Smullis7, Sounds like your dealer stepped up to the plate to correct a situation gone bad, and good for them! :)
    Once 'ya get M@bel M@y outa' the T@B hospital, you can enjoy her without the frustration and relax! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Gotta love my dear wife! She does the once a month Kids Workshop at Home Depot, and was on her way out to work this morning. On her way out, she said "When I get off work, I have to stop by Costco, do you need more beer?" ( :o silly question) Reply "Yes dear, that would be great, thanks! Drive careful, love 'ya and see you when you get home." 
    Didn't have the heart to tell her I already re-stocked yesterday. ;) After all, a guy can NEVER have enough beer supply! =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Eric here are some close ups of how the hose fits.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    @Dalehelman, Thanks for the close-ups! I'm still back to the drawing board on this one! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Eric,
    Amazon has this.  I have the 15 foot rhinoflex mounted on the passenger side tongue.  All I do is separate the orange sewer hose seal, slide in either end of the rhinoflex with caps intact including the opaque elbow and the orange sewer seal is the last thing to go in the tube.  No removing any edges either.  Easy peasy.  Ask Verna.  Hey Verna - can you fit any more length of hose in your holder?

Valterra A04-0153XBK Black 64" EZ Hose Carrier

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio