Options

Sewer Hose Carrier

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @Runtarooti if you look at his first pic the window looks just like my 2017 MaxS. @Dalehelman has been working on a front window cover mod that is fairly simple and effective. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    SGH0004SGH0004 Member Posts: 62
    Now you have me paranoid that there's something wrong with my window, lol. I think it prob looks different because it's a fixed window.  I think some of the newer T@b's are moveable.  Ours is a 2015 model. 
  • Options
    FishDoctorFishDoctor Member Posts: 59
    I followed the guidance of  @skyeaz to make essentially the same modification for adding a sewer hose carrier behind the battery/propane tank box on my 2017 T@B S Max. Used 1/2-inch spacers behind the carrier's screw mounts and 1.5-inch self tapping #10 screws in order to offset the tube (Valterra A04-0153XBK Black 64" EZ Hose Carrier)  so the propane hose could run between the carrier and the aluminum front panel of the T@B without modification. Used silicone adhesive/sealant in the screw holes. I did remove the storage box to do the work. The cutout for the carrier at the bottom rear of the box was roughed-in with a Dremel tool fitted with a cutoff disc and then finished up/smoothed out with a sandpaper drum on the dremel tool. I used u-shaped door-edge protector from the auto parts store to dress up the edges of the cutout. Everything is very solid!

Downers Grove, IL
    2017 T@B S Max, Blue and Silver -- "The Blueb@rry"
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Looks professionally done!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    I think this may be an idea for future Tabs.  They have added a sewer hose holder on the 400.  Now it is the 320's turn!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @FishDoctor, Very nice job. Nice, clean looking install, and great idea using the spacers to eliminate having to alter the propane hose.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    sugarloafersugarloafer Member Posts: 10
    Can anyone suggest a source for the automotive seal around the cutout on the tub? I've found lots of sources for the p-profile flap seal but with minimum orders of 1000 meters...
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    You could call the factory.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Can anyone suggest a source for the automotive seal around the cutout on the tub? I've found lots of sources for the p-profile flap seal but with minimum orders of 1000 meters...
    You mean around the cutout like I showed in the pictures above? I used u-shaped door-edge protector from the auto parts store to dress up the edges of the cutout. You only need a couple of feet at most. I think most any auto parts place would carry it.
    Downers Grove, IL
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    edited May 2018
    @skyeaz, @SGH0004, @FishDoctor and others who may have done this mod...

I'm looking at doing the same thing in the near future. I'm curious how you went about precisely locating the cut-outs in the tub.

It's a bit awkward to line everything up with either the tub or the tube in place and it's hard to uncut something, so any tips are welcome! 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @ScottG the only advice that comes to mind is measure twice, cut once.  =)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    You got that right! Try as I may I've never been successful at uncutting something (or in using my board stretcher)!  :-) 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    My method: measure 3times, cut twice.  Think about it! ;)
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    ScottG said:
    @skyeaz, @SGH0004, @FishDoctor and others who may have done this mod...

I'm looking at doing the same thing in the near future. I'm curious how you went about precisely locating the cut-outs in the tub.

It's a bit awkward to line everything up with either the tub or the tube in place and it's hard to uncut something, so any tips are welcome! 
    As I recall, I found a plastic lid to something that had the diameter I needed to accommodate the tube behind the tub, marked the lid so I knew what portion of the arc was needed, and used that as a template to mark the cutout area for the tub. I used the bottom back corner of the tub as a reference point for lining up the template correctly on the left and right sides. Of course, I measured several times to convince myself that I had everything correctly measured before cutting. As I mentioned in my original post, I removed the tub to make the cuts. Don't forget to take into account where the propane hose runs and any offsets you want from the front skin of the Ta@B and make sure that the path for the tube between the cutout locations isn't set so far toward the front of the tub that it would hit the battery or the propane tank assembly.
    Downers Grove, IL
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    This looks fantastic, though it would be nice to see more details of what's going on behind the tub.  Is the tube supported by or fastened to the A-frame?  I'm wondering if that is possible as an alternative or in addition to screwing into the body.  The location of the screws seems like a very vulnerable spot for water penetration from road spray, which reminds me of NuCamp's recent maintenance warnings for around wheel wells, door & front window, which are also exposed to road spray.  So, I'd guess one would need to maintain a very good seal around screws.  Road bumps could also exert up & down forces on the mounting screws if they support the entire weight.  Also wondering what structures the screws are penetrating, besides the diamond plate, and whether they support the tube's entire weight, or just hold it in place if otherwise supported by the trailer frame.  What is the internal & external diameter of the tube? 
    Sorry for all the questions, but I'm also very interested in doing this mod.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    4ncar said:
    My method: measure 3times, cut twice.  Think about it! ;)
    I understand completely!  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thanks for the tip, @FishDoctor --I was pondering a very similar approach of creating a template from the carrier and making the cut with the tub off the frame. From the looks of it, that approach worked well for you!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @BrianZ, I was planning on letting the carrier just rest lightly across the frame to provide a little extra support for its weight in the middle. It could even be zip-tied to the frame inside the tub for some extra insurance.

If anybody sees a pitfall to that approach, I'm happy to hear it. This is one of those projects you really only get one chance to do!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited May 2018
    Thanks, @ScottG.  Yes, I just found the discussion by @skyeaz at 
    http://tabforum.nucamprv.com/#/discussion/comment/70805
    where he did use 3/8" zip ties to attach to metal framing inside the tub.  Also said there was enough room behind gas tank & battery, but had to get a new propane hose made, because the hose between the regulator & metal pipe below was not long enough to route around the carrier.  Also said he made pilot holes, used silicone caulk & 1/4" neoprene rubber pads under the mounts, and consulted factory who said the location was ok & to use self tapping screws no longer than 1-inch.  He did not even remove the tub.  I wonder where does one get the neoprene pads?
    Being able to secure the carrier tube to the frame would address my major concerns, so it's just a matter of time now.  😉
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Um, yeah--that's this discussion.  :-)

Not sure why it comes up with a different address. Probably has something to do with accessing through nuCamp or directly through Vanilla.

Regardless, thnks for pointing out those details, as I had previously overlooked them!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    In the installation I made, the sewer tube does not rest directly on the frame -- It is supported by the mounting screws, which were basically the same type (a little longer to accommodate the offsets I used) and in the same location as described by @skyeaz and were thoroughly sealed using waterproof silicone in the screw holes. No cable ties. I have a few thousand road miles on the T@B since installation. I checked this morning and everything is still rock solid.
    Downers Grove, IL
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    @ScottG Our valterra tube is held using a total of 8 zip ties (4on the frame, 4 on the Outback platform) . Still solid as a rock after 5000 + miles.
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Does anyone with this sewer tube mod also have 2 6 volt batteries in their tub? @ScottG? In an Outback tub?

• Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    @jgram2 - I do not have this mod on my Outback tub, but I do have two 6V batteries and can say for sure that they would not fit with this mod!  Not without additional modification to the tub location or the rails/propane tank location, or installing a shelf for the batteries to sit on above the tube.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    Thanks @ColoradoJon I feared as much.

• Options
    jgram2 said:
    Does anyone with this sewer tube mod also have 2 6 volt batteries in their tub? @ScottG? In an Outback tub?
    Not me. I have a single group 27 on a custom bracket in the plastic tub. It doesn't stick back any further than the original group 24 box, so I don't anticipate any clearance issues with regard to the battery.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    @jgram2 - I do not have this mod on my Outback tub, but I do have two 6V batteries and can say for sure that they would not fit with this mod!  Not without additional modification to the tub location or the rails/propane tank location, or installing a shelf for the batteries to sit on above the tube.
    Yeah, I agree. Further modification would be required.

I have thought about getting storage for the A frame part of the tongue but especially since it a smaller area with the Outback platform and box the price seems too much. I would love to see someone create a 3d printing solution out of plastic like the diamond plate and expanded metal. Plastic would have even less of a footprint and I would think you could use an adhesive to attach it vs. drilling.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    We put our 2x6volt in a Noco dual battery box on the tongue. Works great. Tongue weight fully loaded for camping is about 220lbs. We also closed in the back of the tub with decorative aluminum mesh to keep the small bits from going AWOL.
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    I replaced my plastic tub with a Jobox tongue box. It fit perfectly to put an adjustable hose carrier for my 20' hose. Then I strapped another smaller carrier to the passenger side frame. I carry a short hose in it. That hose is used with my wheeled dump tank.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".