Options

Trying to figure out how to fill Alde when Boondocking

Ok, so I'm going to have one opportunity to fill up my fresh water tank when I arrive at a remote campground. I'm wanting to make sure I can fill the Alde with its initial 6 gallons of water and also fill the water tank with its full capacity of 11 gallons.  I'm thinking I would have to fill the fresh water tank, turn on the water pump to fill the alde, and then top off the fresh water tank. Is this right?  How can I tell when the Alde is full? 

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2017
    Yes, that's about right, but the Alde only holds about 2 gallons, not 6.

I just refilled our system (from drained & dry), and getting the pump to pump that air out of the Alde is tricky, but do-able. Make sure that you're pumping at least a little water, while trying to purge the air out of the system. I do that by turning the kitchen sink hot valve on and off while the pump is working. All other valves are closed.It'll build up a little pressure in the system, then when you open the valve, a bit of water will spray out with the air. Do that a bunch of times, until the water is steady, with no air blasts.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @robyn769, omgosh... I almost thought you were filling your Alde up with glycol, not water. Need.Mor.Koffey! :coffee:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,472
    Is it possible for you to fill the Alde at home before you leave (preferably with a city water hookup)? While you can certainly do it in camp, you'll use a lot of battery juice running the pump to fill the tank and work out the air pockets.

To keep towing weight down, I almost always fill my fresh tank at the campground. I'm less concerned about the Alde, however, as it only holds a few gallons at most.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2017
    I like @ScottG's suggestion. I went through a lot of pump running and water in the process of getting the air out.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,521
    I think Dalehelman shared his routine of filling the Alde and priming the system at home before traveling.  Makes perfect sense.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    We fill at home as well, it's nice to have a toilet available when traveling, as well as the sink for lunch stops.  Then you're just topping off the rest of the time.  It does add 100 pounds to your tongue weight, so depending on your tow vehicle that could be a concern.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    So i kind of feel like this might be a dumb question, but how would i just fill the alde?  Or are you saying hook up the city water like I normally do, and prime the whole water system.  I think the holding tank only fills manually through the access point right? That wouldnt add much weight at all if I just prime the system.  I do have to keep the weight down so fillling the holding tank would be pushing the limits of my Jeep.  Im also about to add two 6 volt batteries to the tounge so Im pushing my 2000lb tow limit.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,521
    Correct.  Hook up to city water, get the air out.  Don't fill tge fresh water tank.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,472
    And if for whatever reason you can't hook to city water and have to prime using your holding tank and pump, just drain what remains in the holding tank before you leave.

As with the Alde, an added benefit to having the entire plumbing system primed is that you will spend a lot less time in camp trying to get the air out with the pump running on battery. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    Speaking of getting the air out, does anyone experience an excessive amount of air coming out of the hot faucet while filling the Alde?  I always thought it was a lot; today verified it.  There was so much air coming out of the kitchen faucet that it blew the aerator out.  Now, it doesn't seem to want to screw back in and stay in.  When I turn the water back on, it just pops back out again.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    So, seems the aerator doesn't screw in, it pops in.  Hopefully, that will do it.  Still wondering about the excessive air,  but seems that filling up the Alde with shore water rather than using the pump may reduce the amount of "pulsing" air coming from the pump.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed