Comparison?

Comments

• TTTabTTTab Member Posts: 100
    OK everyone.  Don't be mad at me for the question but NuCamp 400 or Little Guy Max?  Those of you with Little Guy experience need to share whether you would consider this new Little Guy trailer  The layout and the review by Janine Petit is wonderful.  I would love someone to share a comparison.
    2015 T@B M@x S silver and white
    tv 2010 Lexus RX350 Matador red  
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    I don't have any experience with the Little Guy Max, but I know the kind of work and the business model that comes out of the Tab factory.  Don't forget, the products managed by Little Guy in the past were produced at Pleasant Valley of nuCamp company.  Who now manufactures the Little Guy product?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    SAM said:
    I don't have any experience with the Little Guy Max, but I know the kind of work and the business model that comes out of the Tab factory.  Don't forget, the products managed by Little Guy in the past were produced at Pleasant Valley of nuCamp company.  Who now manufactures the Little Guy product?
    Correct Little Guy was just the marketer not the builder. I would want to know more about the builder before I made any  decision.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I don't think they're the same class of trailer. The Max is 21' while the 400 is 18'.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Photomom said:
    I don't think they're the same class of trailer. The Max is 21' while the 400 is 18'.
    I have been in both and they feel very comparable from a size perspective. The Max did not feel bigger, to me.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    As stated above, Pleasant Valley / NU Camp is and was the manufacture.  Little Guy was the marketing arm.  From what I have seen on the MAX, Longer heavier, much less counter space to work on.  Storage that We would never use ( we are trying to figure out why we need to take everything, and find the 400 storage more than adequate for us).  Lot's of windows in the MAX, but not what we are needing.  Love our 400 and would not trade.  NU Camp is a proven customer care company with a great product.  Little Guy brought out the Serro Scottie and was not what any one thought it would be.  Just some of our thoughts.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
    I know that they were the marketer but were they responsive?  I have heard that the Serro Scottie is not the quality of the T@B products. There are so many things that were thought of when creating the MAX.  I like the higher height of the refrigerator and I like the storage if one were to live in it full time.  The weight is more as well.  What is needed for tow capacity on the 400? I did hear that perhaps there would be some changes for next year on the 400.  Does anyone know what they might be?
    @atlasb Where are you located and will you be in Port Townsend?

• Pop-T@BPop-T@B Member Posts: 199
    edited August 2017
    I have personally been in both the 400 and the LG Max, I view it like this, some people will like the 400 and some will like the LG Max. It's kind of like the Ford vs Chevy thing, and that is why we live in America and have freedom of choice and opinions. They are both well made and have great features in both units that will appeal to anyone that is looking for a great camper.
    But the most important thing is responsiveness of the manufacturer.  That is what I am questioning.  
    Also what do I need for a tow vehicle for the 400.  If my TV will tow 3500 lbs would it be enough for the 400?

• TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited August 2017
    TTTab said:
    Also what do I need for a tow vehicle for the 400.  If my TV will tow 3500 lbs would it be enough for the 400?
    IMO you will want a TV with 5000 lb rating and tongue weight of 500 lbs to safely pull a T@B 400 or especially the LG Max.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
     :o Well shoot.  I cannot get a new TV and T@B.  

• WanderinginWonderWanderinginWonder Member Posts: 47
    I think it comes down to a Ford vs Chevy comparison like @Pop-T@B stated. Interior size is comparable. Exterior size and weight are similar with the Max being a little bigger. If you want a bigger refrigerator and a awning and a more American feel then the Max is for you. If you want a Modern European feel, tried and tested European products we have seen work great in the T@B/T@G's then the 400 is for you. In our dealings NuCamp has been very responsive in all of my dealings. We had an issue with our battery when we purchased ours (which ended up being the battery was drained too much for the converter to charge) we worked with the Warranty Dept and my dealer troubleshooting the issue till we resolved the problem and when I had questions from the parts/service dept they were quick on the response also. I haven't had dealings with Little Guy so I'm not sure of their responsive timing. I know that Paul Chamberlain did a comparison video today on Youtube on the Max to 400 you can give a look. 
    2018 T@B 400 Silver and Black "Luxo" / 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - Jeremy and Andrea - Southport, NC
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Remember the Scotty's and Shastas were marketed to the entry level camper owners. Just sorta to wet their whistle, so to speak. I don't know if that's going to be the strategy now, but it wouldn't surprise me. 

I'm used to seeing these cute oldies rebuilt from frame up, becoming beautiful solid canned hams. It's hard to remember that they really didn't start that way when brand new. 

Yup.. I agree.. Chevy vs Ford, Canon vs Nikon, One beer vs Another (ok.  I don't know the beers out there lol).

Still love all the campers! <3

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    The 400 has a 2 way refrigerator  Which two ways?  Shore power and battery or???  I hope it has propane

TTTab said:
    The 400 has a 2 way refrigerator  Which two ways?  Shore power and battery or???  I hope it has propane

No propane. It comes from the factory with a 235ah AGM battery which is more than sufficient for a 2 way fridge, which uses significantly less power than a three way fridge on battery.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Dylan DeHoff from LG gave me a tour of a Max on Sunday and I am in the process of writing a review and I will post it on my website. As a preview, the Max is a solid trailer, better than most you would get from large manufacturers, but not quite on par with the 400. That being said, I think LG is working on improving the Max and in a year or two they could be in a position to be on par with the 400. The market is more than big enough for a competitor for the 400. I believe they were back-ordered on 400s through next spring.

• jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    I think the t@b's have an insulated floor with no wood to rot.  The Little Guy has a wood composite floor that is water resistant.  I suspect the t@b floor will be more comfortable as the temps  decrease.  Perhaps?
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL